Options

Using A/C for short time on battery power

TikiBarTabTikiBarTab Member Posts: 39
edited September 2017 in Tips & Tricks
We are getting ready to take our first trip in our new T@B.  We are going on a two week trek across the country visiting as many state parks along the way as we can. We are traveling with two small dogs and will be on the road for 5-6 hours on travel days.  We start out in FL and are wondering if we were to stop and have lunch inside our T@B, would we be able to use the AC on battery power so it would be bearable to be inside without being hooked up to electric?

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    No you would need a generator 2000 watt or greater.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    The A/C (air conditioner) cannot be used with your battery. 

I highly recommend purchasing O2 battery operated fans (search on Amazon for O2). My favorite one is a 10" that is rechargeable, battery operated or will work from a 12V plug. My dog certainly appreciates the fans when I need to stop. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Even if you used an inverter, the massive load and drain on your battery would likely ruin the life of your battery. I know of one person who has used a Goal Zero  Yeti 1000 from Costco (Lithium) and it will run for a cou9le of hours off of that.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 88
    You might be able to find a 110 plug closeby and use it while parked at a restaurant or gas station. Just be sure you have the 30 amp to 110 adapter.
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    mgreen2 said:
    You might be able to find a 110 plug closeby and use it while parked at a restaurant or gas station. Just be sure you have the 30 amp to 110 adapter.
    If you do get that lucky don't forget to unplug when you leave. A very easy costly mistake.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    HR_TalyHR_Taly Member Posts: 119
    Yes, I think the main thing to remember is that none of the 110v (regular home-style plug) outlets will work unless you are plugged in. The a/c in a T@B plugs into a 110v outlet.

Only the 12v (cigarette lighter) type outlets will work while you are on the road, as these run directly off the battery.

2018 T@B Max S silver and black (aka TadT@B), Full-timing since July 2017

• Options
    TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588

Unless it is really unbearable outside I've found sitting in our T@B quite comfortable as long as parked in the shade with the windows open to catch any breeze.
    Run the 12v ceiling fan in exhaust mode for a few minutes to suck out the hot air.
    As @Verna mentioned a well placed battery operated fan does wonders too.

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • Options
    TikiBarTabTikiBarTab Member Posts: 39
    Thanks for the info!  Lot's of good advice.