Options

Extended hitch

The language on the side of the tongue of my 2017 T@B warns not to use an extended hitch when towing the Trailer.
Does anyone know what length constitute an extended hitch?

Comments

• Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    An extra-long hitch (16" receiver pin to ball top) will drop the weight of tow capacity by 1000#.

Anything that connects to the receiver between the actually hitch with the ball and requires a receiver type pin to hold it is an extension. It drops your tow weight in half and can be a safety hazard (unless you are attaching a bicycle rack). Other people's MMV. YMMV.

If something says 'don't' there's probably a reason for it. Like "Don't use hairdryer in bathtub" or "Don't drive with the sun shield deployed" or "Don't forget to pull the ripcord when you jump out of the plane". Someone has done it, gotten in trouble, fingers pointed, people blamed and now there's a warning.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    ...and don't forget... "close book before striking!"  Maybe I'm dating myself.  I considered this option as I have issues with my tail gate & tongue jack(other solutions available).  When at the "RV store" they have them, and the say right on the side, "will reduce tongue weight by 1/3."  That was enough for me to move on to the pink flamingo aisle...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Check out the quick tongue jack removal kit in the tear drop shop. It's much like the Jack E Up but much better. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Dalehelman then what kind of rack do you have for your bikes? Thanks!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    @Dalehelman then what kind of rack do you have for your bikes? Thanks!
    No bikes 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun