Options

Battery hook up help

I was stupid and drained out the original 12v battery so I had the great idea of converting to two 6v batteries..... before i realized that I couldn't fit the plastic boxes in here.   So I got the batteries to squeeze in without boxes.  But then I realized I hadn't marked the original leads from the switch as to which is positive or negative.  And I am really confused on the green fuse one.  Any help with how to connect the red/white and then the white/green... i.e. pos or neg which goes to which.

Thanks
2017 TAB Outback.... behind a lifted 2014 Wrangler traveling the SW based in Phoenix AZ

Comments

• Options
    ErieT30ErieT30 Member Posts: 5
    Also any thought as to should I try and put a cover on the opening to the back or will it be ok in the bin like this
    2017 TAB Outback.... behind a lifted 2014 Wrangler traveling the SW based in Phoenix AZ
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    ErieT30,

The thick red cable looks like it connected correctly, from the negative of the left battery to the positive of the right battery. For the 2 wires in the top left corner (one red and one white) which comes from the Zamp connector, the red wire should go left battery-top and the white wire should go the right battery-top.

As far as the 2 wires in the bottom right of the picture (one green and one white) goes to the battery disconnect switch. The green wire should go to the left battery-top and the white wire should go to the right battery-top.

Chris

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    @ChrisandAlexis has the connections right :)

There is no need to add a cover to the back, although you might get some water dripping onto the batteries when it rains.  I've had mine set up this way for over a year without problem.  I do pull my batteries every month or two for maintenance and clean the top area and terminals thoroughly.
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    ErieT30ErieT30 Member Posts: 5
    ErieT30,

The thick red cable looks like it connected correctly, from the negative of the left battery to the positive of the right battery. For the 2 wires in the top left corner (one red and one white) which comes from the Zamp connector, the red wire should go left battery-top and the white wire should go the right battery-top.

As far as the 2 wires in the bottom right of the picture (one green and one white) goes to the battery disconnect switch. The green wire should go to the left battery-top and the white wire should go to the right battery-top.

Chris

So Right White rule of thumb.... I didnt realize all the red/white does is the zamp  I actually have a direct connction for my solar with a regulator thing so I could get away with not connecting those I would guess.

SO glad I asked I thought the green/white was one connection and the red/white was the other lol I should stay away from power
  • Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    Erie T30,

In our 2017 CS-S T@B, I followed the red/white wiring to the Zamp connector mounted on the tub. I do not know if yours is the same. Also, if you follow the green and white wires you will see that they lead to the battery disconnect knob. I also labelled all 4 wires with positive and negative stickers since I remove the battery each time after a trip and I am afraid that in my half asleep mode for the early morning departures that I would hook them wrong.
    Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner