Options

Torque specs for T@B 320

Comments

• Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    I keep mine torqued between 80-90 lbs.  And SKIP the anti-seize compound--it's likely you will over-torque them.  (see this)  Since our wheels are aluminum, It's also a good idea to re-torque them again after a couple hundred miles, and that should keep them tight until the next time you remove your wheels.  Since the aluminum rim expands/contracts at a different rate than the steel hub / bolts, they benefit from this extra step.
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Speaking of aluminum with steel... 
    My neighbor recently reminded me (with a grand amount of pounding and cussing) that the galvanic action that happens between steel and aluminum (especially with salted highways) can weld the aluminum wheels to the steel hubs. Might want to apply a dielectric grease between there.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    wizard1880wizard1880 Member Posts: 442
    edited September 2017
    It seems my comments and advice to you all here yesterday was mistakenly removed or moved by the moderators, since I own a 320 model perhaps?

In any case, there is no difference between torque specs on a 320 or 400 model, especially since many variations share the same axles.  This goes for almost all lightweight towable chassis (utility, RV, etc).  The specs are 90-120 ft lbs for T@b 320/400, and 75-85 for the 13" wheels on the T@g.  This is according to the axle manufacturers.

I'll repeat some important advice--  Avoid using anti-seize compound on your lugs as this will cause you to over torque them.  Also, since we have aluminum rims, te-torque them again after a couple hundred miles, just once more, as the expansion rate of the aluminum rim against the steel hub and lug bolts can loosen them up on rare cases.  Better safe than sorry!  ;)
    T@@bulous
    2014 T@B CS Maxx
    TV: 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 V6 TDI (diesel)
    Martha Lake, WA
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    wizard yes you are correct, putting any kind of oil or grease on a bolt makes it a wet torque which is different than a dry torque. Even my 1999 Jeep Wrangler wheels use the same torque as the Tabs. I find that 100 foot pounds is just about right in the middle. After owning a diesel repair garage for 31 years I will say if you just check to see if they are lose once in a while you would be way ahead of the game. We could debate the EXACT proper torque till the cows come home. If you see any dark powder near the bolts they are probably lose. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Guess I'm the only one to disagree about anti-seize. I have put it on every threaded item I've encountered for well over 50 years. I have experienced excellent results, and never seen a problem using it. 
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    I am not against anti-seize just suggest you look up the wet torque for the bolt you are using as the wet torque will be less that the dry torque for the same bolt. Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    There are always different opinions on what to use. We can leave it at that, please. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
     ;) 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf