Options

Caught in Nightly Sub 32* Temps

Hi all, newbie here ... I need advice on whether to sit tight and wait for conditions to clear or move south to warmer conditions immediately. Last night it rained with a light sprinkling of snow (June Lake, Ca Hwy 395, 7000 ft). The low temp was sub 32* for a couple of hours and for the next two nights in the 20s (without more snow). Highs in the 40s. I'm worried about the temps getting into the 20s the next two nights with the Tab. Still raining and snow is melting off. Advice welcome... move on?

Comments

• Options
    ChrisandAlexisChrisandAlexis Member Posts: 120
    Looks like temps for Bishop, CA which is further south for the next couple of days to be high 60's, low 70's for highs and lows to be high 30's and mid 40's.

Going south to Mammoth is about the same as what you are getting now.

Chris and Alexis-- Roseville, California--2017 T@B CS-S--Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    seejayseejay Member Posts: 12
    My next stop was in Lone Pine for full hookups Sat-Sun. I could try to get a spot tonight down there. My tab is not winterized. Followed suggestions on another feed to open bathroom & cabinet doors last night to keep pipes warm. All pipes seem okay this morning. New hi today is 54*. but lows in the 20s. Will make a decision around noon. Thanks
  • Options
    AlanAlan Member Posts: 120
    I'm curious. If one has the Alde on will it prevent frozen pipe problems? 
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,690
    This is a pretty early cold front for the west.  ChrisandAlexis said it best as far as forecast temps.  You need to drop some elevation.  Bishop is at 4000 feet or so.  Every where north of you (towards Bridgeport) is almost the same elevation, with likely freezing temps at night.
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Alan, that is my question also. 'Will the Alde keep pipes warm enough?' If so then I'm okay for a couple of nights ...
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,690
    seejay, if your search for full hookup spots in Lone Pine turns up empty, the Tuttle Creek campground 4 miles west of Lone Pine is perfect for one night......no hookups, however....
    2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    Thanks Pthomas I have reserved a spot just outside lone pine w hookups;)
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    The pipes in the t@b can be kept warm enough to prevent freezing, but your major problem will be the plumbing below the trailer. At those temps, your black and gray drainage gates can freeze and split. Your water intake line and couplers are susceptible as well. Just running the alde will not be enough. Move to a warmer location as was suggested at lower altitude or get somewhere and purchase the pink rv antifreeze, empty your black and gray tanks and get some pink stuff in the black and gray tanks and traps. Work the anti-freeze into the black and gray gates by opening and closing them a few times while at the cleanout station with the drainage hose attached. Some suggestions have been made to let your faucet drip to keep the fresh water line from freezing. If you do that, run it into a pot that you can empty. Don't dilute the anti-freeze by letting the water get into the traps or tanks. Speaking from the experience of Michigan winters. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I was in the Davis Mountains State Park in Texas and have experienced a hose freeze up  and struggled with this a couple of nights before I spoke to a fellow camper who had a large bighorn fifth wheel trailer. He told me to  eliminate the hose, fill up with water and not sweat it if the temperatures do rise above freezing in the next day.   One thing to remember, water does hold heat for a considerable period of time and it would take a while for something to freeze up completely.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Thanks Michigan _Mike, being new makes it hard to not sweat it... today hi temps were around 47* water is running, no grey water in tank, but some in black tank.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice! Taking notes and putting them to work!