Subaru Forester Premium 2015

Just getting ready to buy a 10 year old TAB and was wondering if anyone is towing with a Forester. I know the Mfg says the towing limit is just about the same as the TAB GVW and don't won't to void my warranty and more important damage the car. First venture into RVing and would greatly appreciate your comments

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Jayman If you type forester in the search field-upper right-you'll see several discussions about this topic!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    IMO you will be extremely stressed trying to pull a Tab with a Forester even the XT turbo.  They do not have the torque. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    I'd recommend a heftier TV. We tow our (lightly loaded) T@B Max-S with a 2015 Outback 2.5i with a tow rating of 2700 lbs and max tongue weight of 200 lbs. It does okay but it seems to be working hard especially on long trips and in the mountains. We'll probably be looking for a TV rated to pull 5,000 lbs.
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • JaymanJayman Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for all your comments. Unfortunately you pretty much told me what I was afraid I would hear. Maybe time to sell the mini cooper and get a 6 cylinder of some sort....
  • TabberJohnTabberJohn Member Posts: 588
    edited September 2017

Use the torque Luke. :D
    2015 2.5L = 175 hp @ 5800 RPM, 174 lb-ft torque @ 4000 RPM = challenging especially in the mountains.
    Compare that to a 2.0L turbo with specs like our 2014 Ford Escape = 240 hp @ 5500 and 270 lb-ft torque @ 3000. That is a huge difference for towing in all conditions.
    Also check out these threads --
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5721/which-car-to-tow-our-t-b-maxx
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1032/whats-an-acceptable-tow-vehicle

2015 T@B Max S (White/Silver) -> 2014 Ford Escape 2.0L (turbo, AWD, factory tow)
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited September 2017
    I've seen a T@b being towed by a Forester.  Judging by the license plates, it appeared to have made it's way far from home.

So, can it be done?  Yes, at least for a little while.

I won't recommend it though.  You will have a better experience, and better vehicle longevity if you have at least a small cushion between your load and max ratings. 

I have a truck with 242 HP and 242 FT.LB.  On my last trip, I came across an uphill on-ramp.  Accelerating up hill is hard work for an engine.  Full throttle gave acceptable acceleration, but I have to imagine that it would have been a slow go with 68 FT.LB less. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada