Options

Dewinterizing tips when traveling

judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
Michigan Mike, you mentioned a trip to FLA in Jan. what do you seasoned campers recommend in regards to traveling from cold to warm areas. Do you chance it and dewinterize at home or wait until you arrive at your warm destination? We had a terrible ice storm last January and Atlanta was at a standstill for a few days, I think. I don't want to haul our huge air compressor to FLA, yet we don't want to risk freezing. Thank you for your help.
Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Comments

• Options
    jdargisjdargis Member Posts: 305
    Why the huge air compressor,  because the water lines being shorter in the T@B, I found a quality bicycle floor pump brought the pressure up to 40 lbs and blew the air lines free of water.  In the past I used a compressor, but found it wasn't needed with the T@B.  Just keep building pressure in each water line (hot, cold, toilet shower etc.) until they all blow air.  Make sure the Alde is bypassed with the valves, and drain the water out of the Alde.  The only place where water isn't blown out is from the fresh water tank into the freshwater pump. 
    Jeff 
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878

Judy, I had a case of water (1/2 liter bottles--but they weren't damaged) that partially froze in the Escape last month outside of Washington, D.C., and it just got down to the upper 20's. But I did have four 3 liter jugs that didn't freeze.

If I still had my water tank, I would not fill it up until I got to definite warm temps.  Just my personal opinion.

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    You could use the bike pump. I used it for winterizing since my compressor was being services. You could also rent a compressor from somewhere like Home Dept. For that matter, I am sure Camping World or a dealer in FL would do it for you.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Thanks again. I know you folks must be tired of my questions. You are experienced and such a help. So, de winterizing upon warm weather arrival sounds like a plan.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I normally like to wait until I am in the more temperate zones to do any work on my trailer.  And IF I were to use my porti-potti I would dump it, empty out any water in it prior to coming back to Michigan.  I could also rely on the "pink" RV antifreeze too for added protection should I run into problems along the trail.  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Still trying to convince DH to consider a bicycle pump rather than that heavy, bulky air compressor.

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    With the bicycle pumps they have today (higher pressure capability) you should be able to accomplish your goal.  Hey, practice makes perfect!   ;)
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    Living in the South I find that I need to winterize numerous times a year since I am able to use my T@B frequently during the winter. I grew tired of using antifreeze and having to recycle...and the added work of flushing lines...
    So I switched to a bicycle pump and adapter for 15 bucks and I couldn't be happier with the results.
    I still add antifreeze to drain traps!!

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Don't forget to let gravity play its part and open the drain calves as you drive through some hills. You'd be amazed how much this helps.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014