Options

Sewer hose connection failure

The last time I used my trailer the 90 degree elbow that goes from the hose down into the dump would not attach correctly.
I'm not sure of the brand of any of these parts as they came with the trailer, but it's a bayonet fitting.
For some reason, when I twist the bayonet on the lugs, it is loose. This hasn't been a problem before. It has always been a snug connection.
Did I break something? Is there something that I should tighten? 
I've been using this for months and I can't figure out why suddenly it's a problem. I can't see anything that looks broken.

Any ideas?
San Francisco Bay Area
2013 CS-S us@gi
Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited October 2017
    The hose we use has a collar on the end fitting that tightens around the hose with a ratchet kind of locking mechanism. It might have loosened up?

Can you post a picture?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    ChanW said:
    The hose we use has a collar on the end fitting that tightens around the hose with a ratchet kind of locking mechanism. It might have loosened up?

Can you post a picture?
    Unfortunately I keep the trailer in a storage facility that is a fair distance away, so I don't have a way to take a photo.

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I was expecting to read a story of horror and the how the wait at the dump station suddenly was extended...lol glad it's just a finicky fitting!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Check inside the elbow end for the rubber ring. It might of fallen out in which case it's time for a new elbow.

2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    Check inside the elbow end for the rubber ring. It might of fallen out in which case it's time for a new elbow.

Are these lug/bayonet fittings standard across all manufacturers (e.g. Valterra, Camco) or do I need to be sure to buy the correct brand?

San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,655
    I had my Camco hose work loose from the elbow on my last trip.  Getting the hose to connect to the elbow using the "locking ring" was not intuitive...but I found this video and it saved me.  If yours is a Camco, this video worked for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHtY97oD_-o

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @Marceline, the friend who first showed me how to dump told me that she took this part off amd threw it out. She just puts the hose end down the dump hole a ways. I cleaned my end and stored it with my other spare hose parts and have found this method much simpler! It is easier to rinse out the hose after dumping without that piece. I did keep it because I've read here that some parks require a tight fitting at the dump hole. It's another option for you if you want to try it. Good luck!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    RollingBnBRollingBnB Member Posts: 322
    Marceline said:

Are these lug/bayonet fittings standard across all manufacturers (e.g. Valterra, Camco) or do I need to be sure to buy the correct brand?

They are standard, any brand will do. Rhino seems to be the new tough guy on the market.
    2020 Tiffin Open Road
    2020 Nissan Versa Toad 
    Alan & Patty
    Southern Az
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410

X2
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure if this is the solution but it seems probable so I just ordered a set of replacement gaskets.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
  • Options
    newellnewell Member Posts: 182
    I just had a similar thing happen. I couldn't get the fitting to attach tightly and I looked down and found the "O" ring laying on the ground.  After re installing it the fitting worked fine.  Problem solved.

Earl & Sue | Central NY |
    2017 T@B 320S | TV: Chevy Silverado
  • Options
    The problem turned out to be a missing gasket.
    Thanks to everyone who replied.
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi