Options

Boondocking tips?

MwambaMwamba Member Posts: 22
edited October 2017 in Camping & Travel
We had a great first trip into Maine this summer and are taking one more.  This time we will be staying closer to home and gone for only a few days but we will also be boondocking.  I have tried to find info. in a manual but to no avail.   I have the battery charged and propane the only question I have is about the water.   I have an adapter to use the garden hose for the city water connection.  We will use it just for the sink and night time bathroom use, is there anything else I need to know?  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    If you're boondocking you generally don't have city water. If that's right in your case-no water hookup-and you're not going far, you can fill your fresh water tank, and we carry 1-2 6 gallon water jugs. We also have a battery powered pump to transfer water from the jug into the fresh water fill hole, or just use water from the jug pour spout, depending on our needs. We carry flashlights and a battery powered lamp to use outside and save the T@B battery. Cool the fridge down ~24 hours before you leave and consider freezing a 1 gallon jug of water, carry it in the fridge. When you arrive your fridge should still be cold. That's all I can think of, but there are members who boondock all the time who may have better suggestions. Have fun!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    Thank you twojgrams!!   Maybe I'm confused.....there are two places to fill with water, the city connection (that I would think is for grey water).  Is that what is considered fresh water?  We will fill that from the house with garden hose beforehand.    The other place is the one that needs to be sanitized. 
  • Options
    @Mwamba Here is a photo of the round fresh water intake. You don't fill the grey water tank, it collects water from the sink and shower. Your manual should describe these points or look in the manuals category to the right here.
    http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/79199#Comment_79199

• Options
    @Mwamba - here's a diagram of the plumbing, but it depends on the T@B model you have, so may not be correct for yours.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5021717/uploads/editor/8q/spcjuxaxmc4j.doc

• Options
    @Mwamba - didn't mean to be confusing- the round white portal on top in the photo is for the fresh water tank. The lower is where you hook up the hose from city water supply and acts as a "demand" water supply like in your house. Hookup the hose, you're connected to a water source but no water enters the trailer until you open a faucet and demand it. 

• Options
    @Twojgrams. Thank you!   Yes, that is my understanding in the difference of the portals.  My question is can I fill  through the lower portal from my house and travel with that tank filled for use as we boondock? I appreciate your help and the schematic of the water system!   We were not given a manual with our used 2015 and the files I find online are minimal in info or it is not accessible.   Thanks again !
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,499
    @Mwamba. Here is a pic of the fresh water tank inlet.  Yes, you can fill the tank from your house and travel with a full or partially full tank.  Depending on where you are dry camping, there may be water spigots available for you to fill the tank upon arrival - such as a state or local park.  Remember a full tank weighs around 80 pounds and can contribute to gas consumption on long trips.  

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    @Mwamba - Nope, the lower portal is where you hook up the hose to connect the trailer to a water source, you cannot fill with it. The larger round white upper portal is where you fill your fresh water tank.

• Options
    Yes, and when filling the fresh water tank I should use a blue hose not a garden one, correct??!
  • Options
    The colors vary, when I search on potable water hoses, I find green, white, blue... the names vary from "fresh water" to Pure, and generally mention drinking water safe. If you have a blue hose that you used this summer and that is safe for drinking water, that should be just fine. I must admit we use our garden hose when filling our jugs and fresh water tank at home. Shsss! Don't tell anyone! While it hasn't harmed us yet, one bout of dysentery would change our routine. Some people are simply smarter.

• Options
    You guys rock!!   Thanks so much for clearing this water thing up.....I'm really trying to help my husband enjoy this whole camping thing and have a stress free weekend! 
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    Mwamba said:
    You guys rock!!   Thanks so much for clearing this water thing up.....I'm really trying to help my husband enjoy this whole camping thing and have a stress free weekend! 
    As long as you make it through the dump station adventure you should be fine!   =)  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ