Options

The Money Pit Gets Deeper

You know what I'm talking about.  I quit keeping track of what I spent on the trailer a long time ago.  I'm afraid to know just how much it is.  Here's my latest purchase.

BTW:  Not complaining...pass the shovel.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    Deltaboy59Deltaboy59 Member Posts: 315
    I can see that in my future. Puts out quite a bit of heat too!
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    Too funny, Larry! :))
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I love mine and we really enjoyed it at the Rolling Home rally in August....  Kept everyone warm!  

Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    skwheeskwhee Member Posts: 246
    Our Campfire in a Can was one of last winter's purchases, one of a long list of must-haves for our T@B camping adventures. That little campfire works the same kind of magic as any wood fueled campfire. People gather round and stare into the fire as they spin yarns and try to top each others' tales of camping adventures. We've already begun placing orders for this winters' list of must-haves. Yes, it's more expensive than we like to think, but oh so worth it in terms of the excitement of getting out there with the camper!
    Steve and Karen Cullowhee, North Carolina 2008 Ford F150 --2018 T@B 400
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    edited December 2014

Oh, and I also ordered a new camera this week.  Don't know if I can really call that camping equipment, but maybe I can get a few photos of the Little Red Campfire. LOL

Looking forward to getting lots of good shots on the road next summer.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    Larry take some Booger shots!
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553

Hey, Larry -- If you use it outdoors when you are camping, then it's camping equipment.  My own T@B Toys Confession - I just bought a Goal Zero Yeti 150 solar charger/generator so I can power my laptop.  Got it on a Black Friday Deal.  Just waiting for the Nomad 20W portable solar panel to go on sale now.  As much as I want to get away from everything when I am camping, there is still the need to be connected.  :):)

imageimageimage
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options

10-4 on the Booger shots, Sally.

Beth, I have not yet dived into the solar pit, but I can see the possibility of that in the future.  My T@B did not come with the solar connection, so it will require some additional wiring/connections.  I already have several extra wires connected to the battery terminals: Shut-off switch, 12V plug and ARB plug, both mounted on the battery/LP cover.  At some point, I need to figure out a way to combine some of those wires.  It already looks like a spider web under the battery cover.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options

The camera came today.  Having a ball trying to figure it out.  So far, I have charged and installed the battery and turned it on. 

The Little Red Campfire will be here tomorrow.

Can you say early Christmas?

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Ahhh, Larry......I have a new tow vehicle.  I can say early Merry Christmas ;-)
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Oh, I can't top that, Verna.  Congratulations!

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Awesome Verna.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    DougandMiaDougandMia Member Posts: 73
    edited December 2014
    Don't keep us in suspense, Verna.  What did you get?  Isn't it nice when Santa knows exactly what you need? <br>
    Oops, I just found it on the other forum.  Nice truck Verna! Congratulations. 
      Mia   Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.  2015 T@B U, formerly 2012 LG 5-Wide Platform
  • Options

A 2015 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, V6, Extended Cab, and in my favorite color of Red.  It has a 5,000 lb towing capacity, transmission and oil coolers, and some stuff that I need to read more about.  It feels so good, feels like I belong in it. 

I'm sort of disappointed that I have a loaner Corolla overnight while a sealant is being applied to the Tacoma tomorrow.  I'm not used to a small car!!! 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    Larry, you are going to love that camera.  I have a D5200, great camera, takes fantastic pictures.  Well worth digging a little deeper of a hole there

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    edited December 2014
    My confession, we just spent a stupid amount of money on a Maxxfan.  Ten speeds, quiet, has an option to run and circulate air even with the vent closed, and no worries about rain.  Oh, and a remote, because really, like I want to have to reach up to change the settings on the thing :-)

http://www.maxxair.com/products/maxxfan/maxxfan_deluxe_remote.php

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options

Verna, I love the truck.  I'm kinda partial to red vehicles myself.

Wish mine had the coolers.  I had to stop a couple of times going up the Bighorn Mountains this past summer because the transmission got a little warm.

Nathan, I am beginning to become a little more familiar with the camera, and you're right; I love it.  I have spent the last two days trying to get the settings just right.  I think I finally have it.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Larry, the towing package and coolers are one of the reasons I traded a perfectly capable Escape in on the Tacoma. I have an Alaska trip coming up in a couple of years along with more Western and Eastern Coadt trips. Plus, there's more room in the bed of the truck than in the Escape.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options

I love the fact that I don't have to be too particular about what I pack for a trip because I have a cap on the truck, and I can just throw things in there that I might not otherwise pack.

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but you might have to change hitches because of the different heights of the bumpers.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Yup, I'll be measuring for that as soon as I get her back later today. I only have a 3/4" rise/2" drop
    on the one I have, so I'll see what I need. Thanks, Larry
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Verna, Is yours the Barcelona Red?  I am probably going to be getting a Tacoma myself, and I'm partial to red.  I'll be test driving tomorrow.  Glad to hear you like yours and that you think the extra coolers are worth the extra price of a tow package.  Curious about the tow rating, though.  I was under the impression that the 4 x 4, V6 has a 6,500 lb. tow rating with the tow package.  H-m-m.  Have you named her yet? 
  • Options
    Beth, I don't have her here right now (at the dealer until 5 pm for a stain resistant treatment). I'm going on what the Internet said. I'll read that part of the book tonight. And yes it is the Barcelona Red. It's really a pleasant shade of red.  She'll have my "ESCAPED" license plate on her until October of next year, and then I may change back to an IU plate. Things can change.  ESCAPED TOY, etc!  the SS is still the Escaped Shadow.  Actually, I'll probably call her "The Truck" most of the time. I never did stick to one name for the Escape...truck, SUV, Escape, etc.  And, except for the placement of dials, knobs, levers, the ride and size are pretty much the same as my '04 GMC Canyon was, and I had 167,000 miles on her when the transmission started failing.  So, here's to a lot of miles on the Tacoma.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • Options
    Very nice, Verna.  My mouth is watering. :):):)  What is the stain resistant treatment?
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I can see who has all the deep pockets and CA$$$H here on the forum!  smilie

Us poor folks are just trying to make ends meet and stay above water....  smilie

popcorngif

BTW, nice looking camera Larry!  smilie
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    RXRBUG, just curious as to the drop on your hitch. The photos look like it's perfect. My TV is a 2014 Honda Pilot and with a 6" drop, I still seems to be about one inch too high. I didn't want to go to an 8" drop as it seemed too much.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    Mawebb. I know what you mean. We use a 2015 Pilot to tow and 6 inch drop does leave it a bit nose high. I haven't tried an 8 inch drop yet. We have the u bolt anti rattle and it works great. There is still some rattle from the ball to coupler and that isn't adjustable. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options

I bought a couple of hitches before I found one that was just about right.  Even then I had to add a couple of heavy-duty locking washers because the weight of the loaded truck bed lowered it too much.  It certainly is not a one-size-fits-all situation.  Can't find my invoice right now, but I believe it is a 5" drop that I ordered from etrailer.com.

Norm, I think you will find that the coupler can be adjusted.  Most trailers have an adjustment nut under the coupler.  It is important that these are fitted just right.  Too loose and the trailer could pop off the ball (and rattle); too tight and you can't couple it or it will be difficult to get off.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Larry,  I know of the nut you speak. My 5 wide had that.  on the 2015 Tab there is no nut and from the research I have done there is no adjustment to the clamping mechanism.  It is fine on most roads it only sounds bad on rough or dirt roads.  The newer tabs have a yoke style latch.

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Coupler/Atwood/80060.html

• Options
    Thanks, Norm.  I was not aware of that.  Although I was pretty sure you had more experience with towing than I do and that you probably already knew, just wanted to be sure.

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Larry.  Thanks the forum is all about helping each other and you are a great help to many.  I also like your choice of cameras.  I shoot both Nikon and Canon depending on what I am  shooting.  I prefer the ergonomics of the Nikon but for some stuff the Canon just sings louder.  Both are good systems.  I think the money pit deeper than my camping equipment is my photography gear.  take care and go camping.