Electric brake cable

LG manual states that the electric brake cable should be attached to the TV; however, I think ours was attached to the tow chains because when we unhitched it fell to the ground.
How is yours connected?  
Thank you.
Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Judy, do a search on Purdue (as in University). Larry posted a link to a very informative file from them about trailers and the equipment also, and I know they discussed the brake cable and why not to attached  to your tow chains. Very informative. Also, Etrailer.com has a lot of videos and I'm sure they have videos about this.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    Read the Purdue report.  Awesome. Will read again.  One of our members posted a pic of how her dealer had hers but I can't remember who it was.  Also unable to find by searching the forum.  It seems theirs looped back under hitch pin.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

I couldn't find anything else on the forum, either. Try Etrailer.com. This is a subject that I have to admit to knowing nothing about.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • bigmattbigmatt Member Posts: 31
    The break away cable should NOT be hooked to the chain hooks,think about this,if you trailer breaks away chains and all,what's going to pull the break away cable? Its best to use one of these http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Curt/C82932.html?feed=npn&gclid=CODspdefycICFajm7AodCVYApQ. Hook the cable to your loops where your chain hooks,hook (on the hitch)
    Got it 

• jays55jays55 Member Posts: 13
    I've been towing trailers for years and always wrapped the breakaway cable around the tv frame or receiver hitch and clipped it to itself.  Don't remember who told me this, but makes sense.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    As noted above, the thing to remember is that the place the cable is attached to needs to be strong enough that, no matter the reason for it to be pulled, the cable will pull the pin out of the breakaway unit and not pull the cable loose at the other end. You will also need to make sure that the cable cannot be pinched or severed by any moving parts while towing.

This video should help....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trxBwI23MRY
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Thanks, Mike

• radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Hi, Just to post the pics in the right place. This is the set up my dealer suggested, the break away cable is free, nothing pinches or rubs against it. Threading it thru the locking pin keeps it from moving around.  I make very tight turns and it still has room to breath. Eric, my salesman at Little guy in San Diego, told me never attach it to the safety cables. I can attest this set up works very well. Had the trailer pop off the hitch on my very first attempt to hitch up the trailer on my own. He also had me practice twisting the safety cables chains to get the proper length and cross them to cradle the hitch if you pop off (which it has) and the break away cable did gently (not) jerk me to a stop. The hitch never hit the ground, was hanging by the safety chains well off the ground. The jack stump did hit the ground and drag a bit but as I was stopped so quickly after the pop off by the break away cable engaging the brakes of the trailer, it did minimal damage and the wheel still fit with a little hammer encouragement. I have the Jack E Up now and if I had that that at the time I would have had no damage (except to my heart as I nearly had a heart attack ) at all.
    The Mouse house and me
  • DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Hmmm...I thought twisting the chains was a no no...no?

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

edited December 2014

http://www.etrailer.com/question-5996.html

According to etrailer.com, you can "twist the chain somewhat" to shorten it, or you can remove links. 

Verna, Columbus, IN
  • radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    Everyone I know twists the chains to "customize" the fit. I can attest to them working very well. They are brand new chains and I don't think I would twist them if they looked in bad condition. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    I twist my chains too, to keep them from rubbing or hitting on the roadway.  It doesn't take long to wear through a link that is clinking low to the ground as it happened to me when I was in CA and a highway patrol officer pulled me over.  

Had to look at your photos again and finally realized you did have your brake safety disconnect cable run up and through the attachment link on your vehicle.  It almost looked like it was draped over the pin on the hitch.  Looks like you are all set and safe....  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
    Mike...see p. 45 of the Purdue recommendations...not to twist safety chains.  I may take mine into a shop and have some links clipped off:  https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/ppp/ppp-92.pdf

J.D. & Sue

J.D., I remembered that from the Purdue recommendations, too.  And, that's why I looked at etrailer.com.  I know a lot of Tearjerkers who twist their chains, and I twisted my chains on my first travel trailer--better than wearing the chains apart.  I think having links removed would be a great idea.  But, if you change tow vehicles, you may need shorter or longer chains.  Something to think about.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    Hmmm...and uHaul says OK to double back OR twist the chains!  
    http://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/122/Trailer-User-Instructions

J.D. & Sue

• ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,159
    edited December 2014
    The Purdue info shows a 'grade 43 repair link' which could be used to adjust the length of your chains if you changed to a different tow vehicle.

Nice to know about.

Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya