Options

400s cabinets

TabfortwoTabfortwo Member Posts: 157
Does anyone have any insight to why Nu Camp used plywood for cabinet fronts instead of solid maple?
Also is the cabinet to the let of the fridge wide enough for a fridge?

Comments

• Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    My thoughts on why the cabinet front faces are plywood, has to do with strength and having the pattern inset into the face.  The plywood is solid and very stable.  the other faces are made of several pieces and less stable. I under stand the walls of the interior surfaces on the shower and closet are made from African plywood that is quite expensive.  The cabinet next to the fridge is not quite as wide as the fridge.  the same issue of moving from current space over is dictated to the space available.  There is a wheel well underneath.  I had heard early on that NU Camp would like a larger fridge but no where to put it.  While the current fridge does not seem any bigger, it is actually deeper.  We popped the shelf out and carry taller objects inside.  Also, the fridge has a compressor and unlike the earlier units and cools very well.  We start ours before we leave and do not shut it off until we are home. I really think that NU Camp has made the best use of the available space and we just love ours. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Plywood is also lighter, I believe?

I actually prefer the more modern look.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    VickeyPVickeyP Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2017
    I think of it as “marine grade” plywood and like it a lot. also like the fridge, lots of room, consistently cold and energy efficient.
    2018 T@B 400 Sw@llowt@il  - 2015 Highlander - Dunedin, Florida
    "Not all that wander are lost..." J. R. R. Tolkien

• Options
    Well we bought one. Hopefully we love it as much as our 320 s outback. We do plan to change out the white counter tops just can't do white in a camping trailer I would spend my whole trip washing it.
  • Options
    Hi Jerry,

Regarding your questions, we had nothing against using solid maple cabinetry, it just had to do more with the design which is why we choose to use a birch interior.

As for the fridge, after studying the market, the majority of our target demographic said they valued more storage in their campers. Thus the large storage closet across from the fridge. That being said, the fridge cannot be any bigger where it's located due to where the tire is located and it would not allow it.

Hope these answer your questions. Let me know if you have anything else and I'd be happy to help! 

• Options
    You're welcome! It is not possible to switch the cabinet with the fridge only because that would throw off the tongue weight of the camper. Great question though!
  • Options
    dsatworkdsatwork Member Posts: 744
    @Tabfortwo I'm guessing those are both replies from someone at nucamp?
    2017 Tab Basic S Silver on Silver with Sofitel Cushions....upgraded from 2013 LG 5W....Towed by a 2016 Sorento V6 AWD w/5000lb tow capacity. Dave S. married to Jen aka SanDiegoGal We pull a Tab but live in a 2014 Airstream International Signature 27 FBQ...Talk about embracing a trailer lifestyle.
  • Options
    They are sorry still new at this
  • Options
    VickeyP said:
    also like the fridge, lots of room, consistently cold and energy efficient.
    I think until you have seen one full of food, you do not really get how much room is in the fridge. It holds quite a bit of food.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    It is very deep. It sits in my driveway as we speak figuring everything out. Since our dealer doesn't have a clue about the trailer well be doing lots of forum searching. 
    On a different note does your mom make the visors for the 400s?
  • Options
    Tabfortwo said:
    It is very deep. It sits in my driveway as we speak figuring everything out. Since our dealer doesn't have a clue about the trailer well be doing lots of forum searching. 
    On a different note does your mom make the visors for the 400s?

I believe she was mailing out a prototype for the 400, yesterday, to be tested on a 400. Her sunshades are the same size as Paha Que makes for the 400, already (13'), but she is going to test it to make sure it works. 

She is also getting ready to make and test one at 14'.

• Options
    RoameyRoamey Member Posts: 239
    nüCamp T@B refrigerator 2.7 cu ft. European T@B L 400 refrigerator 3.4 cu ft. Just saying...
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    Roamey said:
    nüCamp T@B refrigerator 2.7 cu ft. European T@B L 400 refrigerator 3.4 cu ft. Just saying...

That being said, I camped in the same spot for 2 weeks at a time and never even used 1/2 the space in the fridge of the 320.

• Options
    Maybe we need a "show me your fridge" thread with photos of how people pack their fridges. :)

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Our fridge (T@B 320) is so packed, we have to wait until the orange juice or milk is empty to open up a spot before we can buy another. Makes for frequent trips to the food store when you can't buy ahead. It's inadequate for three meals a day for two people. Isn't that why others are buying ARBs?  You're using two refrigerators. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Roamey said:
    Our fridge is so packed, we have to wait until the orange juice or milk is empty to open up a spot before we can buy another. Makes for frequent trips to the food store when you can't buy ahead. It's inadequate for three meals a day for two people. Isn't that why others are buying ARBs?  You're using two refrigerators. 
    Not at all. I bought mine because I have had issues with the Norcold. It would not work for me on LP last year. I also bought it for football tailgating and other long, non camping road trips and for use as a freezer while doing long term (all summer) camping trips. I have never run out of space. 

I actually irdered it after the dealer said that my fridge was not repairable. However, nuCamp was able to repair it.

• Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    I was able to see a T@B 400 with all Maple light woodwork in Madison a few weeks ago.  I loved the camper until I opened the fridge.  There's no way I can find myself purchasing another camper with such a tiny fridge.  We (I) cook most of our meals and we eat very few meals at restaurants.  It's a show stopper for me.  If the axel were placed differently then the options would be better.
    John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    jcfaber1 said:
     If the axel were placed differently then the options would be better.
    John
    Where would you place it? I really hate how it looks on the Little Guy Max.

• Options
    If forward or back a bit then the wheel well would not be in the way and a larger fridge would fit.  

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    The LG Max is more of a personal taste but 4 cubic feet is much more useable

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    I can live with fake wood to get more practical and easy to use appliances. Priorities. 
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    We're on our 5th night in our brand new 400. (Currently camped near Capital Reef.) The fridge fits our 3 meals a day in the camper style really well. In fact, we are both surprised and relieved that the fridge has plenty of space.  We considered purchasing an ARB, but have found we don't need it. 

But....we are eating mostly a vegetarian diet. We also drink almond milk, which doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened. There just isn't a huge need for lots of refrigeration with a vegetarian diet.  We think those who have meat as a larger part of their diet might find the fridge more of a challenge.

We are loving this camper!
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    I love my T@B Q, have looked at the 400 but do not like the 'IKEA' look, the LG Max looks to be more functional, larger fridge, 2" receiver on the back end, and in my opinion has a better look inside.  The downside is they are new to the game, but once the 1st year bugs are worked out would seriously consider it to replace the Q.
  • Options
    large kitchen with dual refrigerators, At a low price of $33,800,

Talk about refrigerator envy!  This is our friend, the Keystone Outback
       T@B trip wherever
    New surprises everyday
       See beautiful world
  • Options
    And 4440lbs dry I would rather carry an arb in the tv.