Options

Draining gray and black tanks

judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
i have read many articles including this forum.  We know the proper procedures and which tank to drain first.  We are concerned about oopsies and wonder if you have had any occasions where there might have been a bit of drainage from your black water when dumping.
Do you mind sharing with me how you properly cleaned the area?
Perhaps I should have stated that our concern is when hooked up to sewer rather than dump station.
It would be nice in an ideal world to assume there would not be any leakage.
We observed a large RV at a rest area dump station and I thought I saw Niagra Falls.  I don't even think the man had a dump hose. I was furious and didn't own the T@B at the time.
Thanks folks for all your help.

Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

Comments

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Since I don't have the black tank, I can't be a lot of help on the best procedures.  I do, however, carry a small bottle of bleach, as well as a spray bottle mixed with water and bleach to keep things sanitized.  When I drain the gray water tank, or any time I do anything near the sewer, I spray everything down and wipe it off before storing.  A good pair of rubber gloves also comes in handy.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    Thanks.  Mike is driving me crazy with all the worst scenarios and we haven't even hooked up to city water or sewer.  We want to assume our tanks, being new, have no flaws, but we won't know until we try.  Now to convince him, LOL. 
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391

Judy, the sequence is not as big of a deal for a T@b since we don't have a system that allows the grey water to rinse the black tank, but I generally empty the black first, which allows the grey water to rinse out the hose. Valterra makes a clear elbow with a hose fitting that allows you to back flush the tanks, which I do to keep them clean. You can then finish up with a thorough rinsing if the hose. I always use disposable gloves when dealing with the tanks. I have a water I hose I keep separate for cleaning the tanks.

I made a couple of mistakes early on but some experienced, gracious rvers in neighboring site helped me out.

It is remarkable how many people feel perfectly fine dumping grey water just about anywhere.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Jenn, thanks.  I have also read about folks just dumping grey water on the ground.
    Our  biggest issue is that we either wait until early spring for a longer trip or perhaps in FEB/March for the weekend for a good trial run on the tanks and inside water.
    We should have tried this in Nov. but Ky had no water hookups available due to winterization.
    I am ordering the elbow.  Our dealer sold us the 15' dump hose.  
    Have you looked for a Y connection that would allow us to keep the hose connected when emptying the tanks without disconnecting and reconnecting to the T@B?
    Finally(at least for now), do you always allow your grey water to accumulate before dumping?  
    I have read about both scenarios as it is a smaller tank and we should 'save some' for when emptying the black.

• Options
    USWildflowersUSWildflowers Member Posts: 177
    I have only dumped the T@b a couple of times, but I had a motorhome with 40 gallon each grey / black tanks previously. I always use rubber gloves. Dump black first; even with separate connections, you at least rinse the hose with the grey - so, yes, I would "save some" grey before dumping black. I don't like the separate connectors on the T@b due to the "leakage" possibility - if you leak something, it's most likely going to be due to residual matter in the drain pipe when you disconnect. With a common connector, that's been flushed with grey water before you disconnect. The likelihood of leakage is made worse in the T@b because there is no down-turn at the black tank connector - 90-degree elbow out of the black tank, making it more difficult to drain completely. The ONLY time I've had any black-tank leakage while dumping was the 1st T@b dump; when I unhooked the hose to move over to the grey connector a few ounces were still in the drain pipe and started running out onto the ground - I was sure glad I had the rubber gloves on. I quickly held the hose under the stream, so only a little made it onto the ground. (I was ready for it the second time I dumped, so immediately held the hose under the stream when I disconnected.) Most dump stations have a water supply (with hose usually) with which you should rinse your hose after dumping; I used it to hose down the spot of the leakage on the ground. The bleach RZRBUG mentions may be a good idea, but since I use a tank treatment (I currently use the Thetford Aqua-Kem that came with my T@b) I wonder how much I need to worry about spreading bacteria. It's still gross to have any leakage.

The potential leakage problem is made worse in my case because my hitch is 17" high rather than the recommended 16" (working on getting that fixed) so it may even be slightly uphill in the drain. Next time I dump I may disconnect from TV to ensure that we're downhill out of the drains. That unfortunately complicates the dump process (chock the wheels, put the wheel on the jack, disconnect, reverse the process), and slows it down - impacting others if they are waiting for the dump station.

I have dumped the grey water onto the ground on my property in an area where there is plenty of filter material (plants, leaves, soil) before entering into any streams. Shouldn't be any different than dumping a tub of dishwater or bathwater into your yard.

- gcw

gerry - Flintstone, GA - 2015 T@B S - 2012 Toyota Highlander

• Options
    edited December 2014

Judy, I use the Flush King, the Camco hose and semi-translucent elbow, and the hose risers.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    edited December 2014

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-F02-4350-Reverse-Flush-Valve/dp/B008O9DV78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419959892&sr=8-1&keywords=flush+king

This is what I use - hyperlink function appears to not be working today... hmm.

I have found using it with the grey tank to be a challenge when the tongue is set lower to the ground and have had to raise it, at times to empty. I do not use the Y adapter when set up. My understanding is that you want there to be enough in the black tank when you empty to help avoid "pyramiding." The key is a much higher water/waste ratio.

• Options
    Thanks Jenn and Jerry.  We made a 2 hr trip to Camping World and we purchased the clear elbow but we did not get the one with the flush.  I messed up.  I was frustrated because we became members of Camping World but my acct # had mot made it and they were scrambling to override the prices.  My head was not on straight.
    Guess we will make do.  I may use the shower nozzle, if it will reach, to spray some water into the Thetford, not touching anything, of course.
    jenn, on another note, the Fantastic Fan cover was on sale, yippee.  I chose black since our T@B is grey black. I am hopeful it doesn't cut out too much light.  
    Baby steps...

• Options

Judy, I am usually up before sunrise, but on those occasions that I am not, it is nice to not have sunlight coming through to wake me up. Others have complained about the lighter covers letting the moonlight in!

• Options
    Agree.  We are early risers, miserably so at times.  I have  to cover my bedside clock because of the light. LOL 

• Options
    SgtjohnSgtjohn Member Posts: 238
    Boy, I have the T@B in the cold and thought I'd drip the faucet all night to prevent freezing. It's supposed to get to 26 degrees and the roads were starting to get slick.... Anyway, I hooked up the water hose and the sewer hose to the sewer drain closest to the cabin.  After turning on the water I started the faucet.

Well, imagine my surprise to hear the wife tell me there is six inches of water in the shower.  The grey tank was filled and overflowing into the shower.

The black water drain valve is nearest the trailer tongue because it says sewer on the label beside the drain valve.  Right?  I removed the sewer line from the drain nearest the cabin and placed it on the valve where it says sewer and pulled the handle and the water in the shower drained with the grey tank.

i have to assume I was wrong in the hookups to the tanks-am I?  Is your black tank the valve nearest the cabin or tongue?

• Options
    WanderooWanderoo Member Posts: 553
    SgtJohn -- On my 2014 T@B, the handle for the grey tank is a grey-colored handle, and the handle for the black tank is colored black.  It's my understanding the water from the shower pan drains into the grey tank.  Only the toilet will drain into the black tank.  The kitchen sink also drains into the grey tank.
    Beth, 2015 Toyota Tacoma (Ramblin' Rose), 2014 T@B S M@xx (ClemenT@B)
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    On my 2015 the handle colors match the tank type. Grey for grey water and black for black water. The black water valve is further back from the front of the tongue and is more outboard. The black water tank is directly under the toilet. The only drain that is connected to the black water tank is the toilet. The shower is gray water. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Ours is the same as above, color coded.  I also thought ours had markings stamped on them.
    It is my understanding that only toilet drains into black as well.

• Options
    I don't know what colors my handles are at night time but I had to run water over the sewer caps to remove the ice.  It's pretty stupid of me not to realize that the sewer drain for black waste is under the toilet.  It' also pretty stupid of me to leave a warm house and try to find a warm locaton. It was chilly in Tucson and it's chilly in S Texas.  Stay home folks, there are no warm places this winter!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Sgtjohn, you answered my question:  Where are you?  We bought out T@B in late OCT and can't use it in KY!  Too cold, all campgrounds turn off water, so we are so wanting to go to FLA.  We are trying to be realistic and have found a couple of nice places in the Smokies who have heated facilities and insulated pipes.  However, I am not willing to pay for a heated water hose at this time.
    Patience is a virtue.
    BTW, please don't be so hard on yourself.  I have aggravated these forum folks to the point of no return.
    I can tell you everything about this camping experience, what to do, what not to do, what kind of rug, coffee pot, cookware, shower, fuses.  However, we have only camped 1 night and used electric only LOL.
    So,  if we ever get out of here and use hookups, my mind will be reciting:  What did Michigan Mike, Verna, Breakaway, JK Jenn, Wanderoo, Sunny, TABaker  and multiple others tell me about this?
    There is always the first time.  Mike (DH) is skeptical of going so far from our home to see how the plumbing responds as we are still winterized.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Options
    I'm in Balmorhea Texas and all traffic is at a standstill.  Coming into Balmorhea we were going 40 MPH and cars were passing flying and on down the road they had slid off into the ditch.  Even a Highway Trooper. We joined Passport America and are at s campground for $10 per night with FHU. Some PA campgrounds are not the best but when pne's eyes are closed and they're in the T@B, all campgrounds look the same-especially when everything is covered with ice.  Hopefully we'll leave tomorrow AM late when the roads clear somewhat.
  • Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I'm in Mobile, AL with 50*, overnight expected low of 43*. Overcast, but clearing up.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options

Judy, it always seems intimidating, but relax and accept that you will make mistakes -I have made my share, including the tongue jack the day I brought it home.

SgtJohn, please be safe and enjoy the NY in your T@b!

• Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890

Sgtjohn, weather forecast shows snow and ice spreading across southwest Texas tonight.  Be careful if you venture out tomorrow. 

Verna, you don't have to rub it in.  Keep an eye to the sky.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Larry, after last winter....... 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    NormfunNormfun Member Posts: 285
    I'm currently in California with the Tab. It's cold here too but better than the 10 degrees back home in utah. Oh well gotta head home soon. Safe travels all. 
    Norm & Pat. 320 S Outback Utah or somewhere else.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Would give anything to not be sick and at home this weekend. UT or CO seem great to me! (yes, I love the cold and snow)

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    We have managed to empty both gray and black water tanks successfully several times after minimal use each time.    Has anyone figured out how to know when your tanks are almost full and ready to be emptied, short of waiting until they back up in the shower, toilet, or kitchen sink?
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Norm, I was just contemplating this question last night and I don't believe anyone has. I would imagine you could hold the toilet open and shine a bright light into the black tank. I actually wonder about this, also, when imam using the reverse flush for cleaning the black tank. The grey water tank will back up into the shower.

I did a Bing search today and came across this discussion that pretty much applies to us, too. Seems helpful: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26112866.cfm

I am planning picking up a tote tank for times I am at a state park or boondocking and might have to empty. Does anyone use one of these? I am thinking the 16 gallon is the right size for our tanks. The Barker brand seems to be the route to go because you connect it to your ball hitch and tote to the campground dump station. Not sure how you could hoist a full 16 gallon tank into you TV, though. That would seem to be pretty heavy.

• Options
    DurangoTaBDurangoTaB Member Posts: 754
    Jenn...6in. of snow today, and more coming down...while it's beautiful 1) the roads are nasty, even with my 4WD Tacoma with 200lbs of sand in the back and new Blizzaks, and 2) Sue's got a cold (colds know no boundaries!).  I've had to use my roof rake twice on the (covered) T@B...Maybe we'll get out to play (snowshoe/XC) in the next few days.  

J.D. & Sue

Durango, CO    2014/15 S M@xx :  "Dory's HabiT@B"  Keep on swimming...

• Options
    T@BalongT@Balong Member Posts: 317
    Jenn, after reading the link you provided it looks like we need to adopt the same philosophy regarding moving the old outhouse - look into the hole and when it looks full, you do something about it!   I hadn't thought about purchasing a tote tank, but one that hitches to your car and can be towed to the dump station would be most helpful.   If anyone else knows how to tell when your gray and black tanks are in need of dumping, please chime in.
    2015 T@B 320 S, 2019 Jeep Cherokee
    States Visited Map
  • Options

Excellent weather report. Hoping Sue recovers quickly. I finally went to the doctor yesterday and they put me a steroid, which is brutal, but seems to be starting to work. Needless to say, I have spent most of the week on the couch, under blankets, watching bowl games.

We have only had a dismal .2" of snow in December in Pittsburgh this year. I am hoping business brings me west in Feb and I can morph it into at least a long weekend in the west, even if I can't camp.

• Options
    MercatorMercator Member Posts: 237
    My trailer only has a grey water holding tank. I purchased a Valtera Termination Cap with a garden hose adapter so that it a lot easier for dumping than the big sewer hose. I have a length of garden "soaker" hose" at the end of the regular hose so that the grey water can just seep into the earth - away from the trailer. 
    Ray and Vida Barrick
    (formerly a 2013 T@B Q M@X); 2015 Jeep Sahara JKU (Max Tow)
    Toronto ON Canada
  • Options
    BigMitchBigMitch Member Posts: 9
    I'm a newbie, but an "old hand" at the RV shop said he likes to drain some of the gray water first to coat the inside of the dump hose with "soapy water", then drain all the black, then drain the rest of the gray to clean the hose with the rest of the "soapy water".  Almost sounds pleasant LOL.
    2015 T@B CS-S Sofitel