Options

Decoding VIN#

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
Saw the discussion by similar title in the User Manuals category, but wasn't able to add a comment there, so trying here..
@Verna posted the key to determining model year from VIN# by counting backwards 8 characters, then looking in the translation table.  I tried this, and our 8th character is "J", but our Certificate of Origin confirms our T@B 320s is a 2018 model, not a 2019, as the table indicates.
Just thought I would contribute this info, in case it may help fine tune the table. 

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,925
    edited November 2017
    @BrianZ, having worked for a trailer manufacturer for years and been responsible for assigning vin#'s, frequently the alphabetic letter "i" is skipped because of the similar appearance to "j" in the year designator. I'm not sure how the current system works, having begun my work when vin#'s were a standardized 13 characters. I was still working when the federal government, for my manufacturer (NHTSA) standardized all NHTSA regulated vehicles to 17 characters. That's when the notice about skipping the alphabetic character "i" in the year designator was generated, late '80's. I think this may be where the confusion stems from. You do have a 2018 as Nucamp has not begun to manufacture 2019 models. I think the model year changes March or April 1.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks, Dragonsdofly, for clearing up my confusion.  I guess the government didn't clear up all confusion with the "i" & "j" characters.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods