Options

weather stripping flew off

radrenradren Member Posts: 229
I hate to re-visit this topic but one side of my weather stripping flew off while on my maiden trip.  It is white and runs along the top edge on both sides of the trailer. It seems to cover screws up there. I know from past discussions to get shoe goo. How to I get the strip to lay down the correct way in the grove, do I put the shoe goo on the strip or on the trailer and lay the strip on top of the shoe goo? I have not been able to even find shoe goo so far. Any help would be appreciated.
mouse house and me
The Mouse house and me

Comments

• Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
    With a new trailer like yours I'd be careful with any glue or adhesive, and would probably speak to someone like Ed Kauffman first as he can give you pointers and get it permanently fixed for you.  
    Mike - Elmira, Mi / 2019 T@B 400 / 2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ
  • Options
    I got a note back from the factory on the molding:

We changed to a different stiffer less malleable weather stripping...has a tighter fit now...swapped sometime early last year.
  • Options
    Hi Mike,
    I hope I sent the message to you correctly. Thanks for emailing the factory. I got my Trailer in Oct, was built in sept so I am sure I got the newer weather stripping. The other side seems secure. So I shouldn't try to shoe goo it back on? 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    If it were me personally I wouldn't apply any adhesives to the trailer that could gum things up and potentially damage your paint, etc.  If you ever have to replace it again you will have to deal with the consequences, even though some have used it successfully, etc.   I sent a note on to Scott Hubble this morning as a reminder that I'd sent a note to Ed Kauffman last week, so we'll see what happens and I'll keep you posted.  
  • Options
    Update on the weather stripping, a huge thanks out to Mike for helping me get to the right person "Elise" at the factory. They are using a different kind of weather stripping that DOES NOT need any glue, it is supposed to snap down into place and stay put. One side of my trailer is obeying the rules but one side did not. I will update on how the new stripping stays put.
    Thanks again to the answer man Mike and Little guy factory!!
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    clkellerclkeller Member Posts: 46
    Hi I am having the same problem getting the weather stripping to stay put .I own a 2010 Dutchman t@b.Should I order new stuff or any idea what kind of glue to use.Also does this have a purpose like stopping water from getting in just wondering  thanks
  • Options
    Hi clkeller,
    I haven't gotten the "new" stripping from the factory yet, so I can't say how different it is from what I had or if what I had is the new stuff vs the old stuff. There is a thread about the weather stripping on the older models where everyone has had a problem and they used shoe goo to keep it on. The "new" stuff is supposed to be stiffer and stay on without glue, however mine did fly off on my first time out. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    judymacjudymac Member Posts: 403
    We installed our fan cover today and my husband was concerned about this same trim.  There is a noticeable gap and it appears to be widening.  I think I will send Ed a picture for future reference.
    Judy and Mike - Central KY 2014 T@B S M@X towed with Chevy Trailblazer   Nights in the T@B:  32

• Options
    Thank you I have sent a email to Ed but he has not gotten back to me yet 
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    clkeller - I'd call Ed. The times I've tried email I've never gotten a return. He seems to be the busiest guy at the factory.
  • Options
    RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Member Posts: 435
    I had mine changed out this summer at Tearstock.  For those wondering, I specifically asked if there was any function to this, and was told it was cosmetic...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Thank you and what did you use to glue it back on ?
  • Options
    Hi do you  have a contact number so I can order it to?.Is it expensive ?

• Options
    I don't know if it is just the 2015 models or not but when I spoke with Elise at the factory, she had checked and the newer, stiffer weather stripping no longer needed glue. Again, I haven't gotten the replacement stuff yet but when I do I will update the site. She also said the stripping protected the screws along the top of the trailer, maybe from water damage?  I know that the stripping coming off has been an ongoing problem for many of the trailers. 
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    When mine was replaced at the Tearstock rally by an LG factory employee, no adhesive was used at all.  He was armed with an exacto blade, drill, and a heat gun as I recall.   He was done in 5 minutes...

The stuff comes in giant rolls.  He measured for length, cut off what he needed, removed the bolts that were holding the old stripping on in the front of the TD.  (The FL sun had apparently warmed and stretched the old kind of stripping enough to allow air underneath while under way on the highway,and both my strips snapped free from their moorings at the rear.  I tied them off to the galley handles until I got to the rally).  Ok, back to the repairs...He then placed the new stripping in the track, re-bolted both front and back using slightly larger bolts than the original ones (larger heads on the bolts creating a larger anchor point) and was done.  I have had no issues since and made it through a very hot FL summer afterwards.  I am trying to recall what exactly he did with the heat gun, something to do with warming the stripping to aid in stretching it to an appropriate amount to create a bit of tension in the line, so to speak, before bolting it down, but I don't think that was a mandatory step.

They will explain how to do it yourself.  If it is under warranty, have them ship it to your dealer if he/she is nearby and have them do it for free! 

Note that my TD is a silver shadow not a T@B so your anchor locations/points might be different.  The stripping used on both TDs is the same. After doing my SS the gentleman headed off to do a T@B hauling his giant wheel of plastic with him.

I will add that my earlier reference to the stripping being cosmetic means that there is no immediate threat to your trailer if you remove it leaving the bus/nuts underneath exposed. However, logically, leaving them exposed for a prolonged period invites faster corrosion of said bolts/nuts than if they were to remain covered by the rubber strip...
    Sally, "PlaT@Bus" 2016 T@B Sofitel Maxx-S (plata=silver; SP), previously Little Guy 2014 Silver Shadow LE, TV -- 2013 Chevy Avalanche + two hounds.
  • Options
    Thank you for the great information 
  • Options
    You're welcome, and I hope you get all sorted out soon.
  • Options
    MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    2017 Nucamp Tab. That white strip is cracked as if someone pinched it until it broke therefore it does not stay put. So do I order a new piece through dealership or glue the existing?