Question for 16-17 Toyota Tacoma Owners

I just purchased a 2017 Tacoma. How much of a drop do I need on the ball mount to reach the 16" height needed for my T@b? 

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    4x4, TRD...need a bit more info, please
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @Verna sorry!  TRD Sport 4 x 2

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

• IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    I have a CS-S on an Outback axle & a 2017 Tacoma so just a 2" drop for me.
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
    @dmerzbac, mine is a 2015 TRD 4x4, so mine is higher than yours, plus I have rear end airbags.

Be sure to research airbags for the rear end. My Toyota Service Dept Mgr told me the TRD gives you a car-like ride, so the rear end “sits down” and the front end goes up (headlights blinding oncoming traffic).  After having Firestone airbags installed on the rear, I can adjust the height of the rear end to compensate for the losing of height. 

And the samd Mgr told me this week the Tundra’s are the same and may need airbags. 

And Toyota has nothing to retrofit, so the has to be done by a truck accessory business. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @Verna If you don't mind me asking, what is the cost for the Firestone Airbags you used on your Tacoma?

Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

@dmerzbac, approximately $500 without the built-in compressor, and twice that with the built-in compressor (including labor).

I like having the switch and gauge next to my left knee/leg and I was able to adjust the air pressure quickly so I wouldn't scrape the spare or the tongue jack in two dry washes (they weren’t dry!). 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
  • CuffsCuffs Member Posts: 13
    2016 Taco, OffRoad, TRD. 

I changed out my leaf springs to OME and did a U bolt flip mod. much less drop when carrying a load or towing.  
    you could get away with just an add-a-leaf (AAL) and get less sag in the back end too. 
  • dinzzydinzzy Member Posts: 180
    Like Verna I have the Firestone Air Bags which I installed myself.  I have a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x2.  I use a 4” drop and put 20lbs of pressure in the air bags.  It keeps it from bouncing and feels very stable.
    Tow with a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport, 2016 T@B CS-S Max

• tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    edited December 2017
    Assuming a stock vehicle, wheel and tire size affect the drop.
    Which wheel/tire option is installed on your Taco? They offer 16 (std for 4x2?) 17, 18, 19 wheels and numerous different tires. The 16 and 17 combos tend to have a nearly identical outside diameter (tire mounted) to the low end 18 option but that can vary. There are also custom wheel/tire options.
    If you have a lift kit installed that's a whole different ball game.