Options

T@B History

This discussion was created from comments split from: Window - Awning covers /shades.

Comments

• Options
    JimboJimbo Member Posts: 118
    One question..I have been asked by several people including one of my daughters, what does "T@B" stand for or the abbreviation of etc. I did not find anything on the forum about this or on the web. I have gotten some interesting guesses and some that should not be repeated here. Maybe just not asking the question correctly or not searching correctly. Not really important to me but would be nice to be able to answer the question, or at least make me sound intelligent to my daughter. Possibly just a smart name idea form a marketing person that works well.
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    BabarBabar Member Posts: 10

I believe that in the original Dutchman T@B advertisements it stood for Taking @merica Back; as in getting back to nature in a small footprint, rather than a super sized RV.

tiny T@Bernacle (dwelling/hut/residence)
    Rog & Barb Brown   Assaria, KS
    2012 T@B L    Ford Freestyle  AWD
  • Options
    BabarBabar Member Posts: 10

P.S. Also, I believe in Europe that were called by the brand name Tabbert Caravan where the design originated and Dutchman bought the rights to manufacture them in the US.

tiny T@Bernacle (dwelling/hut/residence)
    Rog & Barb Brown   Assaria, KS
    2012 T@B L    Ford Freestyle  AWD
  • Options
    Cheryl74074Cheryl74074 Member Posts: 71
    The German man who designed the original T@b (maybe in the 1950's?) was named Tabbert, and the "Tabbert" company still makes the German T@bs. They also use the name "T@b" in Germany, so I don't think it has anything to do with taking anything back.

Cheryl, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, 2015 T@b S Maxx (T@bitha)
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 709
    A neighbor gave me a book called "Teardrops and Tiny Trailers" and there is a page dedicated to the T@B. Babar is correct - in it states "Within the company, T@B stands for "Take America Back", which is somewhat ironic since the trailer is a licensed copy of the Tabbert trailer, and originator of the T@B logo, which is made in Germany."
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    Thanks all that is interesting and makes sense. I was aware of the German origin and Dutchman purchasing the rights to manufacture and market the design in the US. Thanks, now I can give my daughter an answer. I thought you guys would probably know the answer. 
    Jim, Kelseyville CA, 2013 T@B "Q", T@BCASA, Silver W/Yellow trim, TV: 2006 Honda Ridgeline 
  • Options
    TABakerTABaker Member Posts: 432
    That's odd because someone within Dutchmen told forum members, back when they were still making the T@B, that the "Take America Back" was something people picked up, and not something Dutchmen came up with.  Wonder if we'll every really know. lol  We always believed it was because the company is Tabbert.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Well I guess it really is not a question that needs a certified answer. The T@B name works well and we all like our trailers no matter what the name is. Little Guy could rename it but to most it will always be a T@B. I doubt that they would ever change the name since there is a lot invested in the T@B name. With delivery lead time for orders being somewhere around several months, last I heard,  I think they have a successful product for a niche market. With their customer service oriented business and accessibility is a tremendous asset. A great product we all seem to enjoy. 

BUT, I have already told my daughter both answers so I am covered...I personally think "Tabbert" being the origin sounds the most likely. 

Thanks everyone... 
  • Options
    I've since located a 2004 brochure handed out by Dutchmen that actually has "Taking America Back" on it.
    Crystal & Daisy, a yellow 2007 T@B Q previously towed by a 2008 Jeep Liberty, and currently towed by a 2016 RAM 1500.

• Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,496
    Crystal- you have a little piece of history!  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    SAM said:
    Crystal- you have a little piece of history!  
    Well I don't actually have the brochure.  We have uploaded all past brochures to the Facebook "T@B Camping Trailers" files.  Someone scanned it, or got a pdf from somewhere.

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594

A bit of history from a European view; ...procamp.dk/historien-om-tb/

Google translation . . .

T@B history ...

The year is 2001, and for the first time a prototype is shown on the small drop-shaped T@B. At first glance, experts and other curious people agree that here is the potential for a cult caravan. Here more than 10 years later, one must say that they got right. T@B is probably the only product that today looks exactly like at birth, and despite the fact that developments on the caravan side have been enormous over the last 10 years.

Since the first T@B 320 was revealed, he even got himself a big brother. T@B 400 L came in 2007, and here it was still the same smart design, just in a pre-fabricated version. Now you could get a caravan from T@B with a fixed bed and bathroom, which immediately became a hit. However, the small models have always been the most popular, not least because of their low weight, making them ideal for travel cars. Today 4 different versions are available; T@B 320, White Edition, Offroad and T@B 400 L. T@B caravans are produced by Tabbert, which is part of the big Knaus Tabbert group

TABBERT web-site: ...tabbert.dk/Tabbert-campingvogne/TB/TAB

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+