No more swinging door

DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
edited January 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
This is a Mod that I have added to other RVs we have owned. With it there is know more need to latch the door open manually. It will help to control the door In windy conditions as well. Cost about $20. The gas strut is 6 1/2” compressed 10” extended rated at 20lb load plus 2 right angle ball anchors. I like this so much I wish I had done it sooner.
  1. Hash  T@B Fun

Comments

• EstancioEstancio Member Posts: 243
    Do you have a photo?
    Stancil Campbell
    2011 T@B
    Rockingham, NC

• ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    I'm thinkin' @Dalehelman found a new brand of coffee & a new lawn chair! Just when 'ya think he's come up with ALL the mods you can possibly think of :o .... :joy:...SURPRISE!!!! Good one Dale, looks like a great viable solution for those windy days!  :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Estancio said:
    Do you have a photo?
    Sorry I forgot to resize them 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Dalehelman I dread the day you get a bigger garage, which will lead to a longer trailer and a cessation of your T@B 320 mods! I believe it's your responsibility to start training some newbies in the fine art of T@B modifications. I'm certain the powers that be would grant you a T@B Professor Emeritus Badge! (T@BPEB) On the other hand, many members have already learned from you. Perhaps if that huge garage comes along, they'll step up and keep the mods coming.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

@Twojgrams, Believe me when I tell you that Dale has already achieved Professorship at T@B University. I'm not real sure he's in the market for a bigger garage, he seems quite content with the one he has. Maybe an updated coffee cup :coffee:, or lawn chair would fit the bill though. His mod sharing is legendary in these here parts, and he's very humble about it as well. His willingness to share & help are appreciated greatly by many on this forum, and I'm sure by folks I've never had the pleasure to meet. All I know is that I'm proud to call him my friend, mentor, & just all around good guy. If you've never met Dale & Sandi (she's pretty darn awesome as well!), and you have the opportunity, you're in for a treat. Just make sure to put on your learnin' cap first! :)
    (Sorry if I embarrassed you Dale & Sandi, but you've come by the compliments honestly!) =);)
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.

Please accept my humble thanks.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Gladly accepted Dale!  :)
    Spokane, Wa.

• 2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 904
    @Twojgrams - I whole wholeheartedly ditto what @ericnliz said.  Not only is @Dalehelman knowledgeable and willing to mentor any and all, but you won't meet a nicer couple!  Honored to call them our friends!
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks for sharing, Dale!  Do you have sources for the parts for this mod? 
    If one were doing this mod to restrict the door from opening beyond, say, 100°, in order to protect an awning mounted in the keder rail, would you have any advice for mounting it differently, maybe farther left?  Or get a shorter one?
    Thanks.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
    @BrianZ
    Most auto parts stores carry a selection of these gas struts. The proper length as stated earlier. No more than 20lb load rate. Here is a better picture showing placement.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    @Dalehelman , does your strut work like one for a screen door that pulls the door closed, but can be propped open at any position?  Or is it like one for a car trunk lid that tends to push it all the way open & hold it fully open?  I'd like to prop it open at 90+ degrees, so maybe I just need your metal rod idea.

• TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    Yes, I have to agree with Eric.  There are a lot of fine ideas developed and shared by this guy!  Thanks Dale, for helping all of us.  Looking forward to meeting you this summer..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

@BrianZ
    It like a trunk lid. The open position is determined by there the strut is positioned. A 90* position is attainable.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    @TerryV6
    Thanks for the kind words. Right now we are getting rained on pretty good at Lincoln Rock. Tomorrow looks to be better.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Thank you Dale!  I will check it out.
  • leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Dale i don't speak out much but I too enjoy your ideas. But I'm trying to find a way to keep the cabinets over the stove in my Max s open. Not sure the gas devices are what I need but I can't find any small enough anyway Do you have an idea? 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @leenscottfl Here’s a thread which talks about the cabinets. I believe the consensus was one per cabinet is sufficient. It’s something I want to do when I find my “roundtoit”. https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/55414#Comment_55414
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

@leenscottfl
    it depends on the type of hinge you have. Can you provide a picture?
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    The "spring" and "gas" type structs are best. Don't fall for hydraulic structs. They are hard to open (if not impossible) when the weather is cold. There are structs you can buy at Camping World or other RV store that are able to be disengaged if needed.
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    Thanks for the heads up guys. Ordered a set of the spring hinges. Hopefully my results will be good as others had. Will know Wednesday. 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,605
    Every time I see the title of this topic, I think of this song:

I hope to keep the jukebox and the barstool if the swinging door goes.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
    @BrianZ
    Most auto parts stores carry a selection of these gas struts. The proper length as stated earlier. No more than 20lb load rate. Here is a better picture showing placement.
    I found one with the same specs, except a 25-pound rating.  Think that'll work ok?
    So, when you unlatch your door, does the strut take over & pop it open it for you, or does it just gently finish the job after you push it open?  Trying to get an idea of what might happen, since there's no lifting involved like with the weight of a car trunk lid.  Wouldn't want the door to hit me in the face. 😜

@BrianZ Mine works in a slow controlled action.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    Well, I got mine installed ok, and it works, but it seems a bit too strong.  After you pull it open, it accelerates  & slams open if you let go of it.  It's ok if you hold on to it, but if not, it seems to jerk on that plastic trim where the bottom anchor is fastened.  I'm worried it could loosen the trim, but it does hold the door open nicely and with no effort, as long as you don't let go of it while opening. 

It was rated as 25 lbs, but when I pushed it down on my bathroom scale & let up on it just until it started expanding, it registered 31 lbs.  I was able to install it so it opens a bit past 90°, maybe 100°, so the door should fit under the XL awning we have on order.  The lower anchor is 2" from the hinge, and the door anchor is 9.75" from the hinge.
    I may look for a weaker one, but in the mean time, it works well enough.  I can see why people would love this when there is a significant wind.
    Thanks again for your help.

@BrianZ
    look for a 20lb strut. Make sure the screws in the plastic trim are long enough to go through the frame behind it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    edited May 2018
    Oh!  Well that could make a big difference!  ☺
    Screws or bolts & nuts?  I'm guessing a bolt with 3 sets of nuts, behind the plastic & both sides of the metal frame, would be best.  Hope my holes in the trim are in the right place.  The devil is always in the details.
    Thanks, @Dalehelman !
    PS:
    I've ordered this 20-lb one - price is actually much better than a 15-lb one I found on Amazon (<$20 shipped)..
    https://www.easternmarine.com/gas-spring-gsni-5000-20

@BrianZ
    I used self taping metal screws.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
    edited May 2018
    I got some of those today, 1.5" long, hex head.  Had to enlarge the hole in the bracket slightly, but it worked. Predrilled a smaller hole into the metal strip behind the plastic trim, going through the same hole in the plastic and the 1" space inbetween.  It's much more secure now!  Also added some caulk to the threads and around the screws where they enter the metal.  Very hard to get to in that 1" space from underneath.  Still going to try a weaker spring strut, but it already works a lot more like I expected.  Thanks.
    Got the 20-lb. strut installed today, and it's a much better fit - doesn't spring the door open so forcefully.  A 15-lb strut might even be better.  Still, I make sure to hold onto the door to stop it at the open position, rather than let the strut tug on the mounting bracket when it reaches its limit.
    Thanks again, Dale.