Options

Any Subaru outback owners out there?

I have a Subaru Outback 2.5.. It is a 2009 with the older type transmission. I know it's an older car but it only has 50,000 miles on it and is in perfect shape. I have made a few test runs with it and it has done fine, even on some steep grades, but not like long distance yet. I take it easy and gear down, and 60mph is top speed on flat ground. I have to back my trailer up hill on gravel to park it and it walks it right up. I want to go cross country over the divide. I just installed a large trans cooler. Do you see any problems I might encounter. and give me any hints and tips? I,m 75 and suffering from advanced decrepitude (old age lol) Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Hi Brookings... we towed our 2017 T@B 320S this last summer with a 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i. Ours has the CVT transmission. We towed nearly 5,000 miles total including a trip from MN to Jasper & Banff national parks.

My opinion is that the 2.5 Outback is an okay tow vehicle. Not great, but it’ll get the job done. Probably the biggest piece of advice I can give is to take it easy. Ours seemed to settle in okay between 55-60 mph. Steep hills and mountains you may be reduced to 40-45 or even less. But you can make it work. Just don’t push it. 

You’ll also want to pack light. The Outback has a maximim tongue weight of 200 lbs. Plus not a lot of extra cargo carrying capacity. Travel with water and waste tanks empty.

One caveat, we had to replace the right, rear wheel bearing on our Outback 4 times with just about 60,000 miles. The dealer thinks that towing may have contributed to the problem. But the 1st bearing was replaced before we got the trailer. And I tend to think (or hope) the problem was a manufacturing defect which a new axle assembly seems to have fixed.

We ended up getting a bigger tow vehicle because we were replacing another car anyway.

If budget doesn’t allow a different tow vehicle, go ahead a tow with the Outback. Take it slow and pack light.
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    brookingsbrookings Member Posts: 39
    I plan on driving slow and stopping when the mood strikes. I have a scan gauge to keep a eye on oil and tranny temps. Travel and sightsee on weekdays and hide out on weekends. I was an excavation contractor and pulled a tractor and equipment heavier than the largest 5th wheel.  I've seen people burn up a Dodge Diesel pulling a huge trailer up the Santiam pass at 70mph. I'll be doing 35. 
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Sounds like you have your tow and travel strategy figured out. Enjoy! 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    PickledChickenPickledChicken Member Posts: 7
    We are towing a 320 cs-s with our 2018 Outback 3.6.  So far it has towed very well, don't even realize we're towing anything.  Wanting to add the boon dock deck, but are concerned that it will push the tongue weight over the limit.
  • Options
    elberethelbereth Member Posts: 105
    We tow with a 2015 Outback 2.5i in Minnesota too :)  Haven’t had any wheel bearing issues - actually, no real issues at all. We do stay below 60 MPH generally, and haven’t had to tow on real serious grades.  We do watch the tongue weight closely - but have yet to get over 200 lb, even the time we had to drive toward home with partially filled grey and black tanks because the campground dump station was closed.  That said, we’re weekenders - I think if we were full-timing or doing a lot more distance, we’d probably decide it was worth getting a more purpose-built tow vehicle.  But for us right now, the Outback is a great vehicle.

Sounds like you have a great plan and you’ll be fine!
    2018 T@B CS-S Towed by 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i in the wilds of Minnesota
  • Options
    splatmattsplatmatt Member Posts: 28
    Last summer (2018) we towed from Columbus, OH to Disney World round-trip in our 2011 Forester X (2400 lbs. tow capacity) with 119k miles already on the vehicle.  We cruised around 60 mph on I-75; no issues. 

Prior to trip we installed a transmission cooler, ran a heavy gauge power wire for the 7 blade trailer harness, and installed a wireless brake control system.  Later I discovered my fuel pump was not 100% during the trip and my valve covers were beginning to leak around my spark plugs.  Despite these issues that were unknown to us (no pending or permanent codes were on the OBD II scan) we had adequate power to maintain 60 mph and were able to handle mountain inclines, on-ramps and descents well.  Overall mileage for the trip was 14.8 MPG (kept fuel logs). If you have an AT make sure fluid is fresh and install the largest transmission cooler you can.

I'm sure after our repairs it would have towed even better, but I probably will not do that trip again in our Forester. My reasons are: I was not the original owner of the Forester and I am unsure of the vehicle's maintenance prior to me and while my everyday MPG (26-30 HWY) is better than advertised (we are at 130k miles now) the extra squeaks and creaks annoy me. We will continue to tow within our home state (and neighboring states) to some of the State and National Parks (the though is if an issue does arise it will be easier to address being closer to home).

I honestly feel the Foresters and Outbacks are underrated in what they can do, after performing so well for our trip. So, I imagine an Outback would be even better. With that being said, my next vehicle won't be a Subaru, not even the new Ascent. It will most likely be a Tacoma or the Nissan Frontier (only because you can still get the Frontier with manual transmission in a crew cab V6). After towing and reading obsessively about tow vehicles, it seems everyone complains about the automatic transmissions in general. Some are AT's are better performers for towing, but a manual transmission is more appealing to me because  the direct control with how the engine power is transmitted to the wheels without dealing with a computer trying to time everything properly.
    Previous: 2018 T@B 320 S (Sprout)
    Current:  2020 Airstream Bambi 20FB (Pearl)
    TV: 2019 Chevy Silverado (Rhubarb "Rhuby" 1500)

• Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,594
    splatmatt said:
    . . .  my next vehicle won't be a Subaru, not even the new Ascent. It will most likely be a Tacoma or the Nissan Frontier (only because you can still get the Frontier with manual transmission in a crew cab V6). After towing and reading obsessively about tow vehicles, it seems everyone complains about the automatic transmissions in general. Some are AT's are better performers for towing, but a manual transmission is more appealing to me because  the direct control with how the engine power is transmitted to the wheels without dealing with a computer trying to time everything properly.
    I hear you.  Was a manual transmission guy for decades and towed two sailboats and untold U-Hauls with manual transmission pick-ups.  In 2017 switched to an automatic (no manual option) and do like it a lot.  As "they say" these are not your father's automatics.

Am still learning how to best use the tow/haul and manual override features.  With each trip I've gained greater understanding and control of which gear the automatic is in and success in manually causing an up/down shift when I feel it is needed (not when the best MPG computer thinks) for confident vehicle control.  And don't forget the big plus of no clutch to play with during slow crawling trailer parking or being able to stay in cruise control while shifting.

Take a ride-along with an experienced Canyon/Colorado truck owner while towing . . . you will be surprised.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    I wonder if/when we will be able to get a tow vehicle with an automated manual (AMT)? VW offers one in some vehicles and a large number of new Class 8 trucks come with one optionally. A manual transmission that does the shifting for you with of course a manual override mode. Would be way better for towing than any conventional automatic.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite