Options

Update- Wired Rear View Camera for less than $50 and with no holes drilled in trailer

rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
Good Day All,
I wanted a wired live action rear view camera without drilling any holes in our new 320S.  I preferred a wired solution for reliability and to avoid RF interference associated with wireless alternatives.  This is still a work in progress but here is what I have completed to date.

The camera is a 170 degree viewing angle color HD camera and the screen is 4.3" LCD HD. Many other options are available but I wanted something small to fit under my dash.  I am still undecided where I will tap into the 12v power source for the camera.  Probably a simple SPST switch mounted in the front tub directly to the battery or maybe tap into the 7-pin trailer plug junction box.  All the components were purchased from Amazon for less than $50.  Since I plan to route the AV cable under my Ridgeline I purchased a 10m extension cable.  I will probably snake the cable inside the trailer frame or just keep it on the outside along the frame secured with nylon cable clamps.  Once everything is mounted I will heat shrink the connections allowing for the simple disconnect of the camera to truck plug.

4.3" screen in cubby space in front of 2017 Ridgeline console shifter.
‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
Huntington LI

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2018

Cable ran behind plate.  Connectors are now heat shrink wrapped.

Camera mounted using existing plate light screw.  Plate light doesn't interfere with camera due to offset mounting.
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Screen closed when not in use.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited February 2018

12v power for screen using lighter plug.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Yellow is video to screen, red is 12v power for camera. (cable sitting on top of spare tire mounted on trailer jack)
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Used this extension cable from license plate to front tub to access battery power to avoid drilling holes in trailer to access 12v.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited February 2018
    I have been considering a Swift Hitch webcam that uses a phone app. I really don't need one more gadget inside of my TV. It seems pretty simple to use and set up.you can even avoid drilling by using a GoPro adhesive mount.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Hi Jenn,
    The Swift Hitch is a good device.  The Ridgeline has a tailgate 3-way back up camera that covers my hitch.  But I was looking to increase my situational awareness, something behind my T@B that would allow me to watch the adjoining lanes of traffic especially when looking to change lanes.  Living on LI with the parkways off limits to trailers, my only way off the island requires me to transverse bridges through NYC where the SOBs don't give you a break and seem to enjoy passing trailers and cutting you off.  I was not able to find suitable mirror extensions to increase my field of view so the rear view camera became my alternative.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I decided not to use a switch to control the power to the camera and just stay with the cable connector.  Two ring terminals connect directly to the battery.

Yellow connector to TV extension cable terminating at hitch.  Red connector disconnects to cut power to camera.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Snaking the camera cable through the chassis turned out to be troublesome so I decided to run the cable along the undercarriage cover trim molding and utilized the existing 5/16" screws to attach the 1/4" cable clamps.  Also removed drain hose clamp to run cable underneath the valve.

This cable clamp screw over the hump I installed to eliminate cable slack. Remainder of the clamps utilized existing screws.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Replaced two factory black 3/8" cable clamps holding the break-away brake cable with 1/2" clamps to allow the camera cable to run along chassis to under the tub.  Installed another clamp on battery hold down tray and routed cable up alongside the battery.
    Project ready for road test once the weather breaks.

Huntington LI
  • Options
    rcuomo said:
    Hi Jenn,
    The Swift Hitch is a good device.  The Ridgeline has a tailgate 3-way back up camera that covers my hitch.  But I was looking to increase my situational awareness, something behind my T@B that would allow me to watch the adjoining lanes of traffic especially when looking to change lanes.  Living on LI with the parkways off limits to trailers, my only way off the island requires me to transverse bridges through NYC where the SOBs don't give you a break and seem to enjoy passing trailers and cutting you off.  I was not able to find suitable mirror extensions to increase my field of view so the rear view camera became my alternative.
    Maybe you haven't seen the newer Swift Hitch. It is meant to be positioned anywhere so you could use it also to increase your situational awareness.

https://swifthitch.com/collections/featured-products/products/sh04

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Yes I have seen it and many more wireless/web cameras.  I like inexpensive alternatives and was more comfortable with a wired solution.  For less than $40 I could afford to replace it every year or substitute a different camera or viewing screen.  Another nice thing is when I'm not using it the screen folds into the base and fits into my center console.  And there is no real clutter on my dash or need to use my phone for another task.
    Huntington LI
  • Options

Update on testing. The camera appears to be very accurate.  The garbage can on the screen is exactly 12' from the camera lens and 4' off the driver's side of the trailer.  The field of view at 12' is 16'+ and at the fence 30' back from the lens the FOV is more than 50'.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    That Swift Hitch is pretty cool.

It's good that it's local WiFi, in addition to its internet accessibility. It would be interesting to know how the latency is with a cell connection. I would think it'd be pretty hard to use as a back-up camera with the latency that would come via the internet! But useful as a short term security camera, as long as you have internet access.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    That Swift Hitch is pretty cool.

It's good that it's local WiFi, in addition to its internet accessibility. It would be interesting to know how the latency is with a cell connection. I would think it'd be pretty hard to use as a back-up camera with the latency that would come via the internet! But useful as a short term security camera, as long as you have internet access.
    I did not think about latency but none of the reviews mention it. Worth looking into.

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    jenn, I'd think it'd have negligible latency in the Wi-Fi mode, though.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    ChanW said:
    jenn, I'd think it'd have negligible latency in the Wi-Fi mode, though.
    I did some searching, and the only come t was in regards to a 48' semi and the manufacturer responded that it would be around 200ms, so I am not sure it would be detectable on a T@b.

• Options
    FRANKFRANK Member Posts: 9
    Great Idea thanks for all your detail. Picking up my Tab today will tow behind 97 Jeep tj might be my next project. Miss long Island forgot the trouble of towing a camper there. From Port Jeff. 
  • Options
    Thanks Frank.  Don't know how long since you left LI but it gets worse every day.  Welcome to the club, enjoy your T@B!
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    FRANKFRANK Member Posts: 9
    Well I left a long time ago in 1977. I did go back to visit family and look around. Its changed but, not as bad as Florida. Traffic wasn't bad in our visit here it's bad so enjoy that. 
  • Options
    Update- after completing my first road trip I probably will make a camera revision from the current 170 degree wide angle FOV to 130 degree FOV. I’m looking at the Esky EC 135-05 as the replacement. The 170 camera works well but the wide angle ability sacrifices closer detail. 
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    @rcuomo ;
    Thanks for the detailed account of your cable routing.
    How are you handling the T@B to TV connection:
    [1]  Connector used.
    [2]  How much cable slack.
    [3]  Rain/Snow protection.
    [4]  How do you store the TV end (at hitch) when not in use.
    [5]  Any pictures.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    I’ll take some pics tomorrow. I have a rubber cover over the plugs and use dielectric grease on all the connections. I just store the connections on the trailer side in plastic and on the receiver side just keep it Velcro wrapped around the hitch. Cable slack is about th same as the 7-pin cable. Basic RCA powered video connectors are both ends. 
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,592
    How are you handling the T@B to TV connection:
    [1]  Connector used.
    [2]  How much cable slack.
    [3]  Rain/Snow protection.
    [4]  How do you store the TV end (at hitch) when not in use.
    rcuomo said:
    . . . have a rubber cover over the plugs and use dielectric grease on all the connections. I just store the connections on the trailer side in plastic and on the receiver side just keep it Velcro wrapped around the hitch. Cable slack is about the same as the 7-pin cable. Basic RCA powered video connectors are both ends. 
    PICTURES:

'18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    nice job.  I just got one of these:  https://www.costco.com/Type-S-Solar-Powered-HD-Quick-Connect-Wireless-Backup-Camera.product.100425010.html

It was on sale at Costco last month for $99.  Just screw it on as a license plate frame, and it comes with a separate display and mount that looks like like an iphone.  Seems to work fine- but haven't taken a trip with it yet.

Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite