Options

How to Install Garmin Back Up Camera

Hi, I just bought two Garmin backup cameras (one main cam and one add-on). One is for my tow vehicle, and the other one I'm installing on the back of the T@B. I'm wiring the main cam to my Jeep reverse lights so the cam is only visible when I go in reverse. However, i want to wire the T@B "add-on" camera to be on all the time so I can see behind me while driving. I know I just need to wire it into the constant 12 volt power source in the camper (which will be powered by the TV while towing). My question is, where on the converter would I attach the two tiny power wires (red/black) to get constant power to the cam?  Since the camper is still tucked in for the winter, I haven't been able to go in there and look at potential connection sites, and honestly, I have NEVER even really looked at the converter other than a glance.  I thought I would first check with others to see if anyone else has wired in a back up camera on their T@B.

Thanks,
Robyn

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @robyn769, there are quite a few threads on the forum about installing a back up camera. Use the search function, located in the upper right hand corner of the screen and key words like back-up camera. A recent post was interesting because the owner specified that no holes were drilled in the t@b and really detailed pics were included. There are discussions on why the wireless versions do or don't work while on the expressway, but operate well while at home. Great information to be had that will suit your needs. Good luck.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    Robyn,

Maybe this link can help it shows how I sourced my 12v power for the back camera:
    https://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/88548#Comment_88548

You might be able to use this simple inline power switch if your camera 12v feed is the "standard" connector:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D66D9PM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good Luck!
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    gulfareagulfarea Member Posts: 506
    Rob I have thought of the Garmin also & if I do I would install the camera in a small hole in the roof air fan housing looking backwards & the plus side is there is 12 volts already to the fan. Just tap off it with an inline fuse in case of any kind of short. That way you would have a great view of all traffic behind you. Removing the fan upper housing is no big deal and you could mount the camera in the fan housing while it is off then reinstall! Art
    2019 TaB 320 S Boondock Edge
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I just installed a Garmin M1w. I mounted the camera on the bottom of the tag. 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I just mounted a Garmin M1W camera on the bottom of my license plate. I drilled a 1" hole behind the license plate into the T@B where I tapped into the tail light. The hole is easily sealed and is behind the license plate. If I want the camera on I simply turn on my tail lights. 
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
  • Options
    DucheneDuchene Member Posts: 7
    I emailed a T&B tech and he recommended tapping into the license plate light.  
  • Options
    sqrpegsqrpeg Member Posts: 59

@robyn769 - I'm also in the process of wiring 12v power for a rearview cam.  It'll mainly be used while driving, but I thought it would also be fun to use at camp from inside the trailer - which means I'll need to connect it to a constant 12v circuit (on a switch of course) instead of the license plate/tail light feed.

I already have a wiring path into the WFCO compartment thanks to my recent BMV-700 install, now I just need to decide which 12v circuit to tap into. @AldebaranJill's wiring diagram makes for a great starting point/reference.

FYI - I went with the SVTCAM SV-928WF Wireless Backup Camera which creates its own wifi hotspot that you can connect to with a smart phone or tablet. Seems promising so far but haven't fully tested yet.
    2018 320S Boondock | 2018 Ford Escape Titanium
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas/references. I'm still reading/absorbing all the info.  I think I will mount on the license plate since the cam is intended to be mounted there, but it would be nice to have that birds eye view of traffic from the vent fan level. 

So if I power it into the tail lights, then I would just need to have my Jeep headlights turned on right?  I guess that would work fine.  So it wouldn't make sense then to try to wire it directly into the converter?  I was trying to figure out where to wire it into so it gets power when my 7 pin connector is hooked to my running tow vehicle.  I don't want to wire it all the way up front direct to the batteries.  I wanted to tap in somewhere along the way.  This is really making my brain smoke! I have VERY limited knowledge in wiring, but I did manage to successfully install a BVM-700 battery monitor all on my own!
  • Options
    I assume that the license place light only comes on when the tow vehicle lights are on correct?  That sounds like an easy option as Duchene mentioned the T@B Tech recommended that light as a power source. 
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @sqrpeg, please keep us updated on your opinion of the SVTCAM. It looks interesting.

How bright is the IR illumination? For example, would it be bright enough to illuminate backing into a campsite, if mounted up near the roof vent?
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    sqrpegsqrpeg Member Posts: 59
    @robyn769 - Yes, if you tap into the license plate light for power, it should be on whenever your TV's tail and running lights are on (assuming the 7-pin plug is connected).

@ChanW - Still working on getting it set up and tested prior to a trip next week (Nebraska to see Sandhill Cranes). The phone app apparently has a screen capture feature, so if I have time I'll try to post some pix.

Current plan is to mount it somewhere on our Boondock's Yakima rack. Design is still fluid as I'm also prototyping a rack-mounted solar panel mod.
    2018 320S Boondock | 2018 Ford Escape Titanium
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    @sqrpeg, I also wondered about the size of the thing, cuz it looks so chunky in the Amazon photos. It might not work so well on the roof near the ceiling vent. Not very aerodynamic looking, it seems.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya