Options

T@B 400 Inverter Question

Can someone who has the factory installed inverter tell me where they ran a ground wire from the inverter to?  I installed an inverter today in our 400 in the same location as the factory does but I can’t figure out where to run the wire from the inverter ground to. Thank you for any advice. —Patrick. 
2018 T@B 400
2014 Toyota 4Runner
youtube.com/c/travelswithdelaney

Comments

• Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    Hi, if no one is able to answer your question, you might want to reach out to the factory. They are usually pretty helpful with things like this.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    Travels_with_delaneyTravels_with_delaney Member Posts: 15
    I may do that. Thank you. 
    2018 T@B 400
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    Travels_with_delaneyTravels_with_delaney Member Posts: 15
    I did call the factory and they said that they do not ground the actual inverter.  
    2018 T@B 400
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
  • Options
    dvgibsondvgibson Member Posts: 33
    I am thinking I need an inverter for when we do not have shore power? Should I consider the factory one? (Our T@B 400 is still at the dealer.) or purchase a third party one. I am concerned about the quality of the output for sensitive electronics. 
    T@B 400 2018 Tacoma TRD SR5
  • Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    edited April 2018
    FYI: In my 400, built 11/2017 - a Pure sine inverter was installed at the factory. Part # PWRIX120012S. 1200W Continuous/2400 Surge. (This model is available online for around $170 plus the optional remote should be bought ($30 and fuse holder ($7)

Now I really haven't had the need to use it yet camping, but I have tested it out on a small 700W microwave and voltage plug tester does show an open ground indication.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• Options
    LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    I just learned something  :)

What NuCamp installed for my inverter appears not to be UL458 certified.

UL1741 vs. UL458

Inverters—both batteryless and battery-based—used in residential-scale RE systems must be listed to UL1741, as required by the National Electrical Code. Inverters listed to UL458 are designed for mobile use—for example, on boats and RVs, which are sometimes off-grid and sometimes connected to a power grid (for battery charging and to supply supplemental energy for AC loads, but not for selling energy back to the grid).

The two UL standards differ in how they handle AC system grounding: UL1741-listed inverters must allow for the neutral-to-ground bond to only occur at the main AC service panel. UL458-listed inverters have internal neutral-to-ground switching relays to allow for this bond to occur at the inverter if in off-grid mode, OR at the utility power service if it is connected to a utility hookup. Some inverters are listed under both standards, so you’ll need to read the installation instructions carefully. Many Internet sources market off-grid inverters as “UL-listed,” but don’t clarify the actual listing, so they may not be appropriate for residential use.

This may answer the grounding question.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB