Options

Has anyone purchased a T@b CS-S with Outback options?

I do a lot of four wheeling with my lifted Jeep so an Outback edition makes sense, however I like all the extra room the 2018 CS-S with the counter and cabinets inside offers.  Has anyone ever put a clamshell on an outback axel? Has anyone ever lifted their T@b or taken theirs on mild trails? 

Any feedback would be appreciated.  Even why it would be a bad idea, if it is.  :)

Layne

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    edited March 2018
    There are a few T@b CS trailers with an Outback / Boondock axle for increased clearance.

Here's a link to a 2015 for sale.

http://www.tomscamperland.com/2015-Nu-Camp-T@B-TAB-CS---Surprise-Mesa-Phoenix-AZ/6231236

I've yet to see any cool You-Tube videos, or even images of anybody taking a T@b over any exceptionally rough terrain.  Post 'em if you got 'em folks!

This is about the roughest terrain my standard height CS tackles. 

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,495
    The main concern would be the elevation of the galley.  I think @Fatman1966 has one.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    BgkirkBgkirk Member Posts: 66
    I just changed our 2015 CS-S trailers today to the outback axle. The sink area is 41” and the counter above refrigerator is 48”. 
    Brian Kirk - 2015 T@Bulous CS-S M@x - Portland Or
  • Options
    IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    I've got one. There's in a dealer in NM that orders all their clamshells on an Outback axle which is where mine came from. I never worry about it bottoming out. I take it off-road without much concern. I do have the side tent. It fits but not exactly the way it would if the trailer was lower. It doesn't really bother me but it may some peeps. 
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • Options
    MrsSeed913MrsSeed913 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the feedback. IslandJo, would you give me the name of the dealer in NM, please?  It’s just t a state away and worth the drive to go take a look. 
  • Options
    IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    It's Santa Fe RV. 
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • Options
    ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 414
    This won’t help you but I talked to PaHaQue and they said since the clamshell tents are all custom made anyway that we can give them the measurements and they will make it work. We are ordering a 2019 CS and debating on Boondock or not. Still can’t decide. 

IslandJo said:
    I've got one. There's in a dealer in NM that orders all their clamshells on an Outback axle which is where mine came from. I never worry about it bottoming out. I take it off-road without much concern. I do have the side tent. It fits but not exactly the way it would if the trailer was lower. It doesn't really bother me but it may some peeps. 

2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    Custom Colors & Custom Interior
    We've slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Options
    LojocamperLojocamper Member Posts: 30
    MrsSeed913, ours is a 2018 CS-S on an outback axle. We have only taken it out once (see our Maiden Voyage post), but it did great down a forest service road in the Colorado mountains. Our dealer (Sun City Trailers, Colorado Springs) orders all his on an Outback (or now Boondock) axle with 15" AT tires. The Pahaque awning (see photo also posted) doesn't fit quite as snugly, but not a huge deal. I'm thinking of using stackers to lift up the front stakes the extra few inches.  Also as previously noted, the higher axle does mean the galley is higher off the ground. We purchased a Camco Bi-Fold metal stool online (stores locally did not carry it) from Home Depot -$28 (much cheaper than dealer or Camping World which were around $100) - works great. We are happy with the extra clearance.
    BreakingAw@y
    Silver/black 2018 T@B 320 CS-S, Outback axle, AT tires
    2012 Dodge Ram Hemi - CO

My Visited North America Map
    Adventures: 7
    States: 21
    Provinces: 5

• Options
    Can someone please post some pics of their Boondock axel CS? I’d like to see a human by the kitchen and what the “Fenders” look like. The package says axle, fenders and tires”. Do they mean those silver brackety corner thingys you see on the corners of Boondock editions because the fenders above the wheels look the same to me.

• Options
    Lojocamper do you need the step stool to reach the cooking area? Or what is that for? Thanks.

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @ColleenD2, our countertops at home are 36”, I think that’s industry standard. As @Lojocamper posted elsewhere: @SAM the galley height is 43” at the sink and 50” at the counter, clearly too high without assistance. We found a great Camco metal bi-fold stool online Home Depot for $28 which works well for us (and we are short). We are thinking of getting a second stool. 
    "Breaking Away" - a silver/black 2018 T@B 320 CS-S with Outback axle and AT tires / 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi/ Colorad

I’m 5’1/2” so it wouldn’t work for me but You do the math and figure out what would be comfortable for you, with or without a step stool. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    ColleenD2  Photos of the Outback/Boondock axle with 15" AT wheels. I wouldn't typically need the stool on the sink/stove side unless we are using 2 or 3 stackers to level on that side. 

Camco bi-fold stool stored in box for travel. Gotta love that duct tape - slides out easily.

Stool unfolded - provides better stability for me than the plastic folding stools.

I always need the stool on the counter side - I'm 5'2".

Set up with stackers on all for corners - gives you an idea of the added height. The more stackers you need to level, the higher the galley is going to be.
    BreakingAw@y
    2012 Dodge Ram Hemi - CO

• Options
     @Lojocamper, just so Colleen knows, stabilizers on all the raised axles are short and require additional pads.  Leveling blocks, a Bal or Anderson leveler are used for leveling purposes.  
  • Options
    Thank you. First let me say, I LOVE THAT BACKSPLASH! Gorgeous!

This helps a lot! I am 5’4”. I feel like I have so much to learn! I don’t really understand why they wouldn’t make longer stabilizers for the Boondock but also, I’ve read it’s a good idea to put stabilizing blocks under there in bad weather which always seems to happen when we camp. Hahaha I have about a month to make this decision and that’s it. Oh I hope I make 5e right choices. All I am confident in right now is colors and fabrics, there goes the artist talking now.

• Options
    How do you not trip over that Bal Leveler SAM?

• Options

jgram2@Bgkirk says 41” and 48”. Two inches could be a big difference... hmmmm I am going to put something on the home counter to raise it up to 48” and then 50” to test it out. I am so weird, but I am soooo afraid of heights, even stepstools. 

• Options
    We use the Anderson.  Fits nicely under the tire.  No tripping.
  • Options
    @SAM , we use our stackers for leveling too, just because that is what we have. (pyramid method, one on two, etc.) Dealer actually included the stackers and we also have a bag of them from our previous trailer. Like the Anderson levelers though - look so easy! 
    BreakingAw@y
    2012 Dodge Ram Hemi - CO

• Options
    edited May 2018
    ColleenD2 - you are asking all the right questions! Good luck!
    Yes, hubby did a great job with the peel-and-stick tiles :}

BreakingAw@y
    2012 Dodge Ram Hemi - CO

• Options
    @Lojocamper, I thought you meant you used the blocks under the stabilizers for leveling purposes - manual directs to not use stabilizers for leveling.  I get it, you use them stacked under the stabilizers for support and under the tires for leveling.  
  • Options
    @SAM yep, that''s it.
    BreakingAw@y
    2012 Dodge Ram Hemi - CO