Florida camping

JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 120
Last December we spent 10 days at Grayton Beach SP in the panhandle. Absolutely loved it.

Looking at St. Joseph Peninsula SP further down the coast for next December. Anyone here been there and/or have any inside info to share?

Thx
2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

Comments

• robptrobpt Member Posts: 90

I have been to St. Joseph numerous times and have always enjoyed it. If you want ocean view, you need to find a spot in the Gulf Breeze campground towards the Gulf side. The last time I went, we stayed at the west end of the Gulf Breeze, which afforded us some privacy in the back. Some of the campsites in the middle do not provide a lot of screening. I have stayed at both the Shady Pines site and the Gulf Breeze site and have never been disappointed.  The sites are kept clean and there are gray water dump stations located close to the bathhouses. The beaches are beautiful and easily accessible by boardwalks. I've included some pictures of an earlier stay at the Gulf Breeze site, back when I had a truck camper. I fully plan to go in my 400, when the there is a space available. The problem with this site and the site on St. George Island with the reservation system in Florida is that groups of people will book them solid sometimes throughout the summer months. I have never been to Grayton Beach, but I have heard good things about it. It just happens to be a further distance than St. Joseph for me.

If you go, bring a screen house that will block no see ums, they can get bad in the evening.

North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 120
    Thx. We were looking at a site on the east side of the lower campground. Hopefully closer to the water on the bay side for the kayaks. On our previous trips, the places seem to fill up after Xmas and booked til fall, but right before Xmas  not so much. Never had a problem with bugs during these times, but the raccoons sure have an appetite for Jan’s cookies. 

• TravelinRosiTaTravelinRosiTa Member Posts: 7
    Stayed at St Joseph September '16 as well as Grayton Beach SP and Henderson Beach SP.  Campsites were great at all three, but we were attacked by biting flies at St Joseph on the beach!  Didn't have any issues at the other two.
    Tracy & Sherra
    Dallas, TX
    '19 T@B 400 Boondock Lite/Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk

• mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    We were at St Joseph last month. It’s a great location, nice beach is close, across boardwalk from both campgrounds. We were in Sandy Pines and I’d stay in the other one if you have a choice. They tried to do a controlled burn last fall and burned up most of the campsites in Sandy Pines. The trees, plants etc look pretty bad. I’d rather be at St Joseph’s or St George than Grayton Beach. It is too commercial around it. Much nicer towns near the other two to explore. Port St Joe, Apalachicola, Carrabelle, etc and fresh local seafood available either in restaurants or seafood markets. There won’t be any bugs in December 
  • robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
    Much nicer towns near the other two to explore. Port St Joe, Apalachicola, Carrabelle, etc and fresh local seafood available either in restaurants or seafood market.

Good point to bring up, and one that makes me want to get back there again soon. I do hope that these areas can resist being overly commercialized in the near future so I can enjoy a few more visits. 

North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 120
    Thx for the comments. Looking forward to next December. On our past two trips the beaches were pretty much all ours. Lots of stores were closed during the week due to lack of visitors at that time of year.

Cocoa Beach 12/2016

Grayton Beach (Western Lake) 12/2017

• RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Beautiful pictures @JanandDave!!
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Thx for the comments. Looking forward to next December. On our past two trips the beaches were pretty much all ours. Lots of stores were closed during the week due to lack of visitors at that time of year.

Cocoa Beach 12/2016

Grayton Beach (Western Lake) 12/2017

What would you consider a nive campground in the cocoa beach area?
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • MouseketabMouseketab Member Posts: 1,230
    edited March 2018
    There is Jetty Park Campground right near Port Canaveral. I've never stayed there, but know folks that have, and they really enjoy it. Bonus, watching the cruise ships come in and out.

Carol
    MOUSE-KE-T@B
    2007 Dutchmen T@B Clamshell #2741
    2022 nuCamp T@B 320 CS-S
    2021 F-150 502A Lariat SuperCrew, 3.5 EcoBoost 4x2
    Harvest, AL
  • LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    @Mouseketab thank you.
    @JanandDave, realy nice pics indeed! :)
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd