Options

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door. wanting to pull at T@B Outback. Anybody else doing this?

2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door wanting to pull a T@B Outback. Anybody else doing this? What can I expect? Do you have pictures of your set-up?

Comments

• Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Similat subject here with a 2 door TJ Wrangler.

do not know towing cap of the 2 door 2012 wrangler, but I think the 2 door JK is heavier, wider and a little longer wheel base.

read on.

http://tab-rv.vanillaforums.com/discussion/6673/jeep-tj-2-door-for-towing-yeah-or-neah#latest
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    I just got back from an 800 mile trip in the southwest.  Elevations from 2000' to 7300'.  Mine is a 2012 2 door Rubicon stock.  Tows very well.  I drove at 60 mph on the flats and 40mph to 50mph on 6-7% hills.  Using 4th and 5th gears on downhill side results in very little brake use.  The engine must cut off fuel to hold back as well as it does.  I got 15.1 mpg on the uphill 400 miles of the trip, and 17.2mph on the downhill 400 miles.  I started off at 2000' went up to 6200' and back down to 2000' on the second leg.
    If you don't use cruise control in the hills you can preshift the automatic to stay in a very comfortable 2000 to 3200 rpm range.  Just remember that you are pulling a trailer and drive accordingly.  Some people seem to forget that and drive the same as they do when not pulling a trailer.  Be smooth and remember that speed is not your friend.  Slow and steady will always get you there safely through millions of miles.  I've done it.
    My Rubicon has 4:10 axle gears.  If you happen to have the 3:21 gears it will be more work and the gears will be farther apart.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    RonRon Member Posts: 137
    Also, my T@B is a max s.  The Outback is a bit heavier which might make staying under 2000# a bit hard to do.  You need to get the tongue weight to around 200# if you can.
    If you are looking at an Outback for the increased ground clearance, you might consider a non Outback with the pitched axle to get the clearance and keep the gross weight a bit lower for the 2 door max tow rating.
    2016 T@B MaxS, 2018 Jeep Rubicon 4dr, Rural Scottsdale, Az.
  • Options
    LuckyjLuckyj Member Posts: 286
    Ron said:
    Also, my T@B is a max s.  The Outback is a bit heavier which might make staying under 2000# a bit hard to do.  You need to get the tongue weight to around 200# if you can.
    If you are looking at an Outback for the increased ground clearance, you might consider a non Outback with the pitched axle to get the clearance and keep the gross weight a bit lower for the 2 door max tow rating.
    @Ron, just a tought about your 4:10 gears, they are 4:10, yes, because of the arubi trim, but also because of the tire size that are bigger on the rubi.  Do not remember if the OP said that he had bigger tires with original gears, if so, he would need, towing of not to regear to be even.

as for the outback/boondock package, the only real difference in weight apart from the pitch axle and larger wheels and tires, would be the front aluminium rack and the kangourou sticker.  So not much difference if he change the axle for the outback model.  The lightest way to do it would be the original axle with axle spacer from dexter, but if it is like the T@G, the outback axle is a little more HD, them a little more heavier.

but this is based on a T@G model, could be different with the T@B.
    2017 T@G Max Outback "Le Refuge"
    TV 2005 jeep TJ unlimited
    and/or 2005 Nissan X-Trail 4wd
    Alaskan Malamuthe on board!

Les Escoumins and Petite-Riviere-St-Francois QC