Options

Front window disappears (blew off)? While driving

sbhtennissbhtennis Member Posts: 67
We stopped at roadside viewing some elk when I noticed the whole front window was missing
We had been driving for about 60 minutes on the highway and never heard or saw anything to indicate a problem
I can’t say with 100% certainty that it had been all the way latched It’s a 2016 T@B Max S
Any ideas? I have read that some people have had some window problems or is the cause more likely an unlatched window?
We have put plastic over it till I get home to repair

Comments

• Options
    HalooHaloo Member Posts: 137
    edited April 2018
    If the top flanges of the window aren’t completely mated the window can fall off. Took me a little while to figure out why the front window on my 400 kept falling off when I opened it.  Tried to slide the window flanges together and it didn’t work. I was able to fit the flanges together completely with a rubber mallet.

So yes, I believe that if you had it locked shut, it could still fall off. 
    T@B 400 | F150 | Washington State
  • Options
    robptrobpt Member Posts: 90

@Haloo, could you provide a pic of what you're referring to? I can't quite picture it and it sounds like a pretty serious issue, especially for whoever is driving behind you.

Are you talking about the hinge to the window?

North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,494
    @Haloo If it wasn’t latched closed you wouldn’t be the first to have a window come off while driving. It’s been a while since someone has posted this issue, but it’s been known to happen. You can buy a replacement window and fittings from Elsie at NuCamp. 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Will update when we get home
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    robpt said:

@Haloo, could you provide a pic of what you're referring to? I can't quite picture it and it sounds like a pretty serious issue, especially for whoever is driving behind you.

Are you talking about the hinge to the window?

Yes, the hinge at the top. Basically the hinge is two curved plastic pieces with one slipped inside the other. Everytime I tried to lock the window open when parked, it would fall off.  It came from the factory with this problem. I kept thinking I had the hinge parts re-mated, but it would come apart again. Finally realized it could appear to be fitted together properly, but not actually be so. Used a rubber mallet to knock the parts together. No more problem. 

I'm on the road traveling right now. If I get a chance to take a usueful pic I will. 
  • Options

@Haloo If it wasn’t latched closed you wouldn’t be the first to have a window come off while driving. It’s been a while since someone has posted this issue, but it’s been known to happen. You can buy a replacement window and fittings from Elsie at NuCamp. 
    Didn't lose our window, but @sbhtennis did. I was suggesting that even with the window fully latched, it might still be possible for it to come off if the hinge parts at the top aren't fully mated. I fixed ours before it fell off while driving. 
  • Options
    It’s now at the RV dealer
    I don’t recall what the hinge looked like
    There were 4 latches
    Two on the side and 2 at the bottom
    The bottom ones had a little button to press to get it completely closed
    Will look at hinge better when I get the T@B back