T@B 400 Visor Help

WillieontheRoadWillieontheRoad Member Posts: 34
edited April 2018 in Products and Accessories
OK, We need your help and advice if you own a T@B 400 visor, or really any other visor made by PahaQue.
We put ours up today for the first time.  We had guy lines attached to the bottom keder rails as instructed.  No wind when we put it up, but we got a freak gust that almost blew the visor over our trailer and then it died down again. From your experience, how does the visor stand up to gusts like we had?

And, two other questions...
1)  The fiberglass pole seems much too long.  I've put up enough tents to understand how they work, but the one we have for the visor seems crazy long.  Will it fit better as we use the visor, or should I cut a bit off to make it fit easier?
2)  The 400 came with plastic inserted in the keder rail.  Should I keep this and reinsert plastic insert in the keder rail when traveling, or should I cut this insert off and discard it?

Thanks,
Alan, Joan and Willie

2018 T@B 400  Jeep GC
Alan & Joan Fisher
Austin, TX

Comments

• atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    We, like you are new to the visor for the 400.  I marked the place that the visor would fit in the keder rail and then trimmed the black plastic to go back in from the back to help keep the visor from drifting when installed.  I remove it and re insert it after removing the visor.  The length of the fiberglas poles should be right unless for some reason, Paha Que got the wrong set.  They will be tight and a bit of work to get them in.  There are quite a few discussions on the forum on the visors flipping over in a gust.  Several people do not guy it to the lower rail but anchor it to the ground where the cords land.  Several use extension poles to support the outter, ends.  I think Verna uses 2, 5 gal buckets as anchors filled with water.  I have , 8 ft pool cleaning poles that I attached carabiner clips to to hook in to the visor at the cords and will anchor to 2 water filled 5 gallon buckets with screw on Gama seal lids.  The buckets also serve other purposes.  After a couple nights the gray tank is full and I use the tank cover that has the attachment for the garden hose and drain my gray tank into the buckets.  Then take them to the dump station.  That saves having to move the 400 and buys me another day or 2 of tank draining.  I am sure, others can chime in here and help also.  Know that you will love your 400 as much as we do.  Headed out monday for second trip of this season.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,491
    @WillieontheRoad I have the 320S, but same visor and keder rail. I threw out the black rail filler. It is purely cosmetic. As for securing, I think @Verna also has rachet straps (?length?) that she attaches when she's not using the jug method. Don't forget...pictures or it didn't happen! 
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    I use 6’ ratchet straps from the nylon loops on the visor down to tent pegs in the ground, or to two 4 gallon water jugs when on asphalt or concrete (or campgrounds that don’t allow tent pegs in the ground).  I do not use the supplied paracord to the lower Keder rail. 

If you take the ratchet strap straight to the ground, it will not fold over the top of your T@B.  

You can also see the ratchet strap easier than the paracord, which means you have less of an opportunity to “clothesline” yourself with the paracord. ;)

Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • LSkrabutLSkrabut Member Posts: 136
    While I have not really used my awning yet on the 400, I am planning on staking (or bucket mode if needed on pavement) the awning down. 

But due to my experience on my Class A awning and stakes I will have some springs (from HD or Lowes) to act as a give point on the each guide straps. Reason, as the trailer moves for what ever reason - wind, getting in and out, ETC - there will be some give if needed.

Utah Driven

2019 T@B 400 (Ex 2018 400)

2015 MB GLK 250 Diesel

2018 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax CCSB

• WillieontheRoadWillieontheRoad Member Posts: 34
    Thanks so much to every friend on the T@B Forum.  We think that we now know what to expect with a T@B visor and what to do to keep it secure.  This forum is awesome.
    Alan, Joan and Willie

2018 T@B 400  Jeep GC
    Alan & Joan Fisher
    Austin, TX