Wheel wells collapsing onto tires

VashoncaVashonca Member Posts: 5
i have a 2007 T@B. I am on a month long trip from the Seattle area and am in Palm Springs. My floor has been soft in spots but I have just realized that the floor has fallen significantly around the wheel wells on both sides and the trim and wheel wells are very close to hitting the tires. Jeez!  I am 1200 miles from home. Is this fixable!  Is there a temp fix so I can drive home and fix it myself? Is there a way to ship it home so I can fix it myself?  It is hopeless?  Any help so so appreciated. 

Comments

• DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    Rent a car carrier trailer if your tow vehicle can handle it.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Here’s the url for a Yahoo! Teardrop group we’ve been told have members with Dutchman Tabs if you have the patience to seek assistance on another forum in the midst of this problem. The construction of the pre-2010 Tabs was significantly different. That’s before Little Guy/Pleasant Valley assumed the rights to the Tabs. Now owned by nüCamp since April of 2017. Good luck and safe travels. 
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @Vashonca, Another friends T@B just collapsed Friday, the whole passenger side fell to the ground.  Do as @Dalehelman suggested - put it on a flat bed trailer and haul it home.  A complete floor replacement is in your future.
    Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
  • VashoncaVashonca Member Posts: 5
    You all are amazing. I’ll check into a hauler this morning. Thank you so much!
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    It might be cheaper to find a local RV repair place, if they can fit you in, or even a handyman/carpenter than to hire a hauler, if you have a couple of days.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Check  out the thread on "soft floor" in DM T@Bs. Lots of ideas about fixes, but it sounds like yours has progressed pretty far, unfortunately. Darned shame about those earlier ones -- I had one too and had to make some substantial repairs to the floor.
  • GeoGeo Member Posts: 160
    @Vashonca ,
    This is what you want to avoid . . . 
    They had to load it on a Uhaul car trailer and tow it home.

Geo & Liz
    T@BMahal
    '04  #100
    That is amazing and terrifying. I am trying to locate a trailer or flat bed or something that will work. Thx y’all
    Hey here is a follow up on my troubles. I tried to find a flat bed trailer to rent one way to Seattle or a way to transport it and was unable to figure out any way to get the T@B home for a reasonable cost. It was clearly not road worthy for more than a short trip. I found an RV dealer in Banning who was willing to buy it. I think he was a bit dismayed by the extent of the damage. And after our discussion it was clear that the cost to repair it was well beyond what it was worth. If I could have figured out how to get it home I might have tried a total rebuild but just couldn’t figure it out. I am totally bummed honestly and just now completing my trip home with a $40 tent and a head full of ideas on how I will find my next trailer. I am sold on trailer travel and not sure what the next phase will look like. Thanks so much for your help and comments. 
  • irvingjirvingj Member Posts: 335
    Very sorry to hear of your troubles. Apparently the weakest spot in the older DM T@Bs; otherwise they were great in their simplicity.
  • rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Vashonca said:
    Hey here is a follow up on my troubles. I tried to find a flat bed trailer to rent one way to Seattle or a way to transport it and was unable to figure out any way to get the T@B home for a reasonable cost. It was clearly not road worthy for more than a short trip. I found an RV dealer in Banning who was willing to buy it. I think he was a bit dismayed by the extent of the damage. And after our discussion it was clear that the cost to repair it was well beyond what it was worth. If I could have figured out how to get it home I might have tried a total rebuild but just couldn’t figure it out. I am totally bummed honestly and just now completing my trip home with a $40 tent and a head full of ideas on how I will find my next trailer. I am sold on trailer travel and not sure what the next phase will look like. Thanks so much for your help and comments. 
    Wow, I’m very sorry to hear that. I’m sure you are bummed!

I’m a little surprised that a dealer that said the trailer was not worth fixing paid you money for it though. It could have been worse I suppose. At least you discovered the problem while the trailer was still rolling, not totally collapsed like the one pictured above. 

Good of luck sorting out the next phase. 

2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
    He didn’t pay me much. But I was grateful. Not sure what I would have done if he hadn’t taken it. 
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Vashonca Thanks for the update. I’m sure I can speak for everyone that we’re glad you’re safe and didn’t suffer a catastrophic event while on a highway towing the failing trailer. You’ll figure the next step out!
    Judi
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Me_and_My_DogMe_and_My_Dog Member Posts: 184
    So sorry to hear that! I also have a 2007 and would be devastated if that happened. Your attitude sounds great. Tent camping home sounds like fun! I'm curious if you had insurance on your trailer? I keep thinking if something went wrong, I'd get funds to help buy another one. I'm also sold on trailering. 
    Katt and Miss Cannoli the Zen Dog
    2008 DM T@DA — Towed by 2014 Dodge Durango — Full time since 6/29/17
    "Travels With The Tiny"