Advice re: TV for 320 S Outback/Boondock

This discussion was created from comments split from: Recommended Tow Vehicles.

Comments

• Bullet2306Bullet2306 Member Posts: 2
    Hi - we are looking at purchasing a T@B 320S Outback/Boondock and want to make sure we have a vehicle plenty capable of towing it.  After much “googling” we are thinking we should be looking at something that can handle over 3,500 lbs and so are considering the Jeep Cherokee which can tow 4,500 lbs, or a Ford Explorer or Toyota Highlander which can each handle 5,000 lbs.  We would like to keep the vehicle as small as possible which would be the Jeep Cherokee, but have read several posts about their issues with reliability.  Would appreciate any advice this forum can offer.
  • MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,580
    All three on your short list are fine tow vehicles IMHO.

You are also wise to be thinking about GVW tow rating above your planned trailer weight.  It is good to void using equipment at the rated capacity . . . seems to provide extra safety margin that way.

When shopping for a TV in 2017 my final short list was a Jeep Cherokee and the GM Canyon/Colorado twins.  I settled on a Colorado but it was a difficult choice as the Jeep Cherokee was very comfortable and drove great.

In the end the Colorado won out on three points, in order of importance to my usage:
    - 1 -  Bulky cargo carrying.  Both have about the same payload but it is easier to carry odd shaped stuff in the truck bed.
    - 2 -  Poor reliability record of Jeep.
    - 3 -  Longer wheelbase, which should help with towing stability.

But those were just my needs.  The three on your short list are all good, and there are even more brands/models that will do the job.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Look at the Kia Sorento. 5000 lb tow capacity. Smaller than Highlander and Explorer. Well-rated by Consumer Reports. 
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    FYI: I have 109,000 miles on my GC. 27,000 miles I put on myself.  No "reliability" issues experienced...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    edited April 2018
    Love our JC. Towed the Outback approximately 6000 miles last summer with ease in all conditions (including significant vertical). 0 mechanical issues to date. This is high praise from a die hard Honda fan.

Btw - factory tow package would be my recommendation, regardless of the brand.
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • GeonTracieGeonTracie Member Posts: 27
    2005 Jeep Liberty CRD. This has a 2.8L turbo diesel. Capacity 5k. Towing my outback I don’t know it’s there and still get 25 mpg.

2018 T@B Outback
    2016 Jeep JKU TV
  • PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    We tow our T@B with a Highlander with 5000 lb capacity. It is a passenger car and I drive it every day comfortably. If you are interested in the T@B Boondock, I wonder if the 4Runner might be a better choice though. Higher ground clearance and built more like a truck.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York