Options

Should I purchase a 2007 Dutchmen Clamshell?

Hi,

I am from Canada & used T@b's are very hard to come by.  I have found only one which is a 2007 Clamshell model at a dealership close to Niagara Falls Canada.  It is in very good condition for being 11 years old but I am worried about replacing parts on it?  Does anyone know if parts are still available for these and from where?

Comments

• Options
    jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Hello @Poochey and welcome to the forum! While waiting for knowledgeable responses, you might search on Dutchman (upper right search field). There are several threads, including  enthusiasm and concerns for the older teardrops.
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• Options
    rfuss928rfuss928 Member Posts: 930
    Parts will not be a problem.  Most components are common RV items - nothing specifically T@B other than the plastic trim which is available from NuCamp (along with many other parts).  Brakes and bearings are unique to other 2004 - 2009 T@Bs and available from a few US suppliers.
    IMO There is an elegant simplicity with the DM built T@Bs (2004-2010) that has been lost on the newer models.  Lighter weight, simple mechanical surge brakes with a hand brake, minimal plumbing and a galvanized frame are a few of the major differences. …
    Check the back hatch carefully for water intrusion - both the door and the sides where the struts attach.  Look inside the side benches at the wheel wells for signs of water damage or movement of the walls relative to the benches.  Look in the front storage chest where the front meets the floor again for signs of water intrusion.
    High mileage, neglected maintenance and poor storage practices can make a huge difference in the condition.
    We continue to be very happy with our 2009 DM CS.
    Have fun!
    Good luck!

Bob

• Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    There have been a couple of discussions on T@B Facebook pages recently about rotted wood floor replacements. It may be possible to replace a floor with a new one from NuCamp, but it looks like a lot of work.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Hello and welcome!

You’re not kidding about there not being many used T@bs for sale in Ontario. I was looking for alternatives to suggest, but I came up empty handed. 

I don’t know a ton about the older T@bs, but hopefully those who do can continue to chime in. 

My my wife and I were lucky enough to snag a 2016 from Niagara Trailers last spring. It was a quick decision, but we knew if we waited, we might miss out and regret it. 

Good luck with your decision. 
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada