Options

Generators for the 2014 T@B

Hi All,  We are looking for a quiet generator to recharge the T@B battery in the mornings. I use a CPAP at night which uses quite a bit of power. We ran out of juice for the water pump to complete the breakfast clean up!  We don't have an A/C or TV and we run the 3-way  fridge and Alde furnace on propane.  No extra appliances besides the Fantastic Fan and LED lights. Solar isn't a great option as we plan to do a lot of fall/winter camping and here in WA State, we can't count on the sun . I think with all the input I have received from forum members and research I have done this winter that we will go for the Honda or Yamaha for our T@B.  We have saved up for it! I think the Honda EU2000i or the Yamaha EF2000iS should do the trick for our more remote camping.
  • Does anyone have any other recommendations?
  • Is there any benefit to one brand over the other?
  • How do you secure it?
Many thanks for your thoughts!
Ann Logan Phillips
West Seattle, USA

Comments

• Options
    annphillips6annphillips6 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for your expertise Neil!
    Ann Logan Phillips
    West Seattle, USA
  • Options
    Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 2,861
  • Options
    CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 125
    Neil,
    I have a 2014 T@b CS and a HOnda generator.  I have heard varying reports about what this generator will actually run.  Some say it will run the A/C and others say it will ruin the A?C unit if you try it.  I was planning to try it with an electronic management system between the two units to cut the power if it was insuffcient.  What advice do you have on this?
    Thanks
    Carolyn
    2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”
  • Options
    radrenradren Member Posts: 229
    edited November 2014
    Would the EU2000 be enough to run a dvd player and the 19 inch tv at the same time?
    T@B wanna be
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    annphillips6annphillips6 Member Posts: 14
    Honda EU2000 generator has arrived (decent price + free shipping at Camping World) and we will put it to the test this weekend :-)  So glad we waited until we could afford the quiet and uber-reliable Honda.

Initial T@B ownership can be spendy, but I couldn't put a price on the joy we've had fixing up M@vis for our adventures!
    Ann Logan Phillips
    West Seattle, USA
  • Options
    Hi,
    Does the generator sit inside the T@B with you or somewhere outside? How much fuel does it average on a 3 day trip? I am trying to decide between the solar panel and the generator.
    Wanna Be T@B
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    Neil,
    You are certainly the answer man. The solar panel is very cool and hi tech but the generator does seem more practical. Does the honda carry a full gallon of fuel at once or do you have to keep a spare gallon around? I understand the solar panel's job is to charge the battery but the generator is like being plugged into shore power. Would a fully solar panel charged battery last all night? If you were using a laptop, microwave or a toaster? How long does the power from the battery that comes with the T@B last? Is there a chart for that? I know you can't run the AC on the generator, thanks to your handy chart. 
    Thanks for all the information,
    Wanna beT@B

The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    That's great "real world" advise... I've seen your vids, and love for electronics... ...so I figure if there was someone to test the battery, it's you two. ;)
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    HI Neil,
    Once again I think you have saved me another thousand bucks. I did mention trying to decide between the two to my brother who said the same thing. If I ever go off grid, I would be with my brother and friends anyway and they always have a generator I can use if I needed it for some reason.  So I am not going to get either one. As you say, you can get the basics done without the extra cost or weight in the trailer.  I will probably get the extra power source, just in case I kill my battery, T@B or car though. It seems like a good back up to have in almost any situation. I am with XPADREX, your real world advice is very practical and extremely helpful. I don't have a T@B yet, probably going to order in June or July. But I did just buy the plug in voltage meter (you had posted a link to amazon when you got yours) to check on my battery strength. It was cheap and something I know I will use and it is something I can hold and look at today... while saving$ for my T@B.
    Thanks so much,
    Wanna Be T@B
    The Mouse house and me
  • Options
    XPADREXXPADREX Member Posts: 311
    That's for REAL.
    LOCATION: Fort Raccoon; UNIT: 2014 T@b S M@xxxx; MISSION: To have fun, make a difference, and make some friends along the way. Organ Donor Recipient- forever grateful. 
  • Options
    RebarRebar Member Posts: 29
    I have a similar question as Ann Phillips at the top of this post. We just bought our 2014 T@B model Q with Maxx options package (includes Frederich AC, Alde System, and 3way Norcold refrig. We are planning a week long trip where we will not have access to power. We need a generator to replenish the battery during the week, and to also run the A/C during the hot part of the day. Neil mentioned that most A/C's require about 3500 watts of power. (I cannot find the specs on the A/C in the T@B. We will purchase one of the Honda generators. But we don't understand how to go about figuring out which one is best. Any advice you all could share is appreciated. Thanks, David
    2014 T@B Model Q - Silver/Black Towed with 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Orange) Live in Denver, Colorado "Bad decisions usually make for really good stories!"
  • Options
    talbluetalblue Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like we won't be able to use the solar panels, which is sad, as they sounded like a great solution.  But it's good to know which generator we need, the 3000i.  We are headed to Burning Man in August, and the Black Rock Desert not only gets hot, it gets really dusty.  Does anyone have experience with keeping the filters on the A/C units from clogging?  Thanks!
    Rebecca and Gordon
    Life is short- eat dessert first.  Rebecca and Gordon
  • Options
    RebarRebar Member Posts: 29
    Rebecca and Gordon, we pulled a 20 ft RV to Burning Man last year and can share some some advice (and some horror stories) about our first experience with an RV in Black Rock City. Feel free to email us at dridgeway@me.com. We are not going this year, but planning to take our T@B in 2015.
    2014 T@B Model Q - Silver/Black Towed with 2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser (Orange) Live in Denver, Colorado "Bad decisions usually make for really good stories!"
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    edited May 2014
    I am a huge proponent of solar, but it does have its practical limits, AC being one of them (as far as RVs go, anyway). After a couple of years of considering the question (last time was at this time last year), I finally made a decision on a generator. My T@DA has a Dometic Cool Cat heat pump/ac that is approximately 10,000 BTUs. I settled on the Yamaha ef2400iSHC. According to the Yamaha website, this newer version of the ef2400is will start and run most RV 13,500 btu air conditioners. I ordered the generator with the tri-fuel conversion so it will run on propane (as well as natural gas for home use when needed). In addition, last year in Silverton, CO, I ran into an interesting guy who told me about adding a hard start capacitor to RV air conditioners to reduce the surge required on start up. That start up surge is what dictates the size of the generator needed. Something to consider for anyone who is trying to run an ac on a smaller generator. I've ordered a hard start capacitor, but hope that I may not need it. It's an $8.99 part on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LDPI26/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 My decision to go with the Yamaha over the Honda (I did want a Honda) was based on the fact that Honda doesn't really have a competing product at that power/size and price. The Honda eu3000is is about $500 more and weighs about 60 lbs more. The Honda eu3000i Handi costs about $800 more but is a comparable weight. Also, I wanted to buy the generator with the tri-fuel conversion already installed. Tough decision! Hope it turns out to be the right one for me. Neil, I'd love to hear your input on the hard start capacitor. For me it's all internet-based hearsay beyond the guy in Silverton who told me about it. :) Lisa
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA