Options

$20 DYI shade awning for T@B 320

LittleBoyBlueLittleBoyBlue Member Posts: 22
edited April 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
I didn't have time to order a shade awning for my new T@B before my campout with some friends.  I was at Harbor Freight and saw that a 7'4"x9'6" heavy duty silver tarp with aluminum grommets was just $8.49 and I had a 20% off coupon with me so I bought it. (about $6 after the discount and I got a free led flashlight with batteries thrown in :):) .  Then I went to WalMart and bought 2 extendable paint poles that extend up to 8ft for $5 each. Also 2 tent pegs for $1 each and some line for a couple of dollars.

Made some small ties with the line with a knot in the end to put in the keder rail and to tie to the grommets on one end (6) Tied the poles to the corners at the other end.  That was about it. Set up was less a minute and so was take down. Left it up over night and it took the wind and was still standing. 
Mike & Sara Ross - Panama City, Florida - mrosspc@gmail.com - 2015 Toyota Sienna - Little Boy Blue - 2018 T@B S

Comments

• Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    Nice! Simple and inexpensive!. The kedar rail is really a great feature, that I'd love to figure out how to adapt more options to..
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    pthomas745pthomas745 Moderator Posts: 3,642
    I've fooled around with things that will fit into my Keder rail, and a suggestion somewhere (here?  the web?) brought me to these little things from Ebay that fit the Keder rail:
    The white plastic part slips into the Keder rail, and I've used the shark clips or ball bungees to attach "stuff" to the rail:  my flexible solar panel, for instance.  

I've done a tarp, too, pretty much the same way, but I won't show the whole picture because it isn't as pretty as yours.

2017 Outback
    Towed by 2014 Touareg TDi
  • Options
    LittleBoyBlueLittleBoyBlue Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for sharing.  Looks interesting and may try it out.
    Mike & Sara Ross - Panama City, Florida - mrosspc@gmail.com - 2015 Toyota Sienna - Little Boy Blue - 2018 T@B S

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Google: keder rail hangers
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback