Options

Spare tire mount under tongue?

TinkTink Member Posts: 28
edited April 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
Is it possible to mount the spare tire under the tongue instead of on it? I saw a different trailer that had it mounted that way (can't remember what type it was though.)  Found it - It was the Alto Safari.
What would be the Pros or Cons to doing that?

Comments

• Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Tink, I'm assuming from the picture in your signature that you have a t@b 320. Mounting the tire under the frame directly behind the tongue will affect your ground clearance, and tongue weight. Most immediate is the clearance issue. You want to be able to climb or decsend a driveway or parking lot access. The precise location and how far forward will change your tongue weight, but that is probably not as important as being able to clear angles of ascent and descent.

Btw, I know you joined several months ago, but have not yet posted. Welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer!

Calling on all you technophiles to lay out the details, both pro and con abount such a tire mount as described.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited April 2018
    I couldn't get into a certain slightly humped driveway at all one time, because the tongue jack was scraping. A tire would be lower still, and likely to scrape even slightly humped gas station entrys.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    The new 400 have the spare tire mounted under the tongue. I just don’t think it will work on the 320 maybe on an Outback.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Watch the clearance Clarence! If you are even considering putting the spare under the tongue, or anywhere in that proximity, you might want to first prop the spare up underneath with whatever you might have available to actually see how much clearance you would have. If it is any less then where the spare is under the back, I, personally would not even consider it. The other thing to look at, and/or measure would be the jack tongue underneath. Again, if lower than that, I wouldn't even consider putting it there. Just my opinion. 
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf