Options

Any families out there?

JerseyJersey Member Posts: 21
First time poster....long time lurker.

Just wondering if there are any families out there owning a T@B (and not a 400) and what your experience has been like.

I've always wanted an RV but have no interest in something big (nor the vehicle to tow it) nor do I have any interest in driving something as big as a Class C or larger. Fell in love with the T@Bs a few years ago and wanted one ever since.

We have 3 boys ranging from 11-15 and obviously can't all fit into a T@B. But the thought process is they would stay in the side room tent with us in the T@B. We've been bringing them tent camping since they were babies and are backpackers as well.

I'm close to pulling the trigger on purchasing...but am I crazy given our situation? So just want to hear if other families are out there and their experiences, thought process, input, etc.

Thanks to all

Comments

• Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    One thing to consider storage in a T@B is very limited. We carry a lot of stuff in our TV   . Three additional bodies in our JeepGC would make it hard to carry a lot of stuff we like to bring. You’re  situation may be different just something to put into the equation. As far as sleeping in the tent. Why not. Sounds like fun.
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,927
    edited April 2018
    @Jersey, welcome to the forum. As far as I know, there aren't many families on the forum like you describe yours. I have occasionally posted about ours. We are two senior "parents". We never had children by choice, but approaching the age of 60 our great nephews joined us, due to their circumstances. They were 1 & 2 years old. This summer the boys will be 12 & 13. We do not have a side tent, and manage well. Although, a side tent may be in our future. We had never camped, or done any kind of primarily outdoor activity before, but fate intervened. I received 3 terminal diagnoses in at once. Long story short, the only thing left for us to do was give them memories. The t@b has allowed us to do just that. We have a fairly large tv. We carry 2 folding bikes in it, along with our chairs, outdoor carpet, folding table, t@b spare tire etc. We carry our clothes, beach equipment, additional gear packed in plastic tubs inside the t@b as we travel. Set up means parking, removing the clothing tubs (4) tucking them under the t@b tail, and the rest is normal camp rediness. We've been asked about sleeping arrangements many times. So far, all 4 of us use the very large bed. Both boys are about 5 feet in height. Husband is now 5'10'. They sleep wheel to wheel. I have to sit upright with my back next to the door. If we are too cramped in this confguration this year, the plan is to give the 3 males the bed and I will be sitting upright on the floor with my back to the fridge or cabinet. We don't use the side tent as we are wanderers. We frequently move on a daily basis. So many historic places and monumental scenery to be experienced. It can be done. It takes thought and planning and probably more organization than many spontaneous t@bbers would like. But you are used to organizing and accomplishing things on a daily basis that they aren't. You get the boys to school, activities, appointments etc. You procure supplies, feed and clothe them on a larger scale than single or paired campers, so you know the drill. You also are probably younger and in better health than we are, so you can handle the logistics. You are not crazy. We do this all the time. Since July of 2016, we've traveled to 31 or more states and logged approximately 18,000 miles. We will continue as long as we are gifted with the ability to travel. If you want specific information or are curious as to our solutions to problems, feel free to post on my wall or pm me. Good luck and happy camping. Please keep us updated. -Denise
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    geekmamageekmama Member Posts: 107
    I travel in my 2018 t@b 320 CS-S with my two sons (16 and 17) and generally their friends. We have camped since they were very small. At around 13 years old they stopped sleeping in the tent with me and either had their own tent or more recently they have hammock tents. The dog and I sleep in the t@b.

Because we have the outdoor kitchen and shower my kids have access to everything they need even if I'm asleep. They can cook and clean themselves off outside. The newer CS-S has quite a bit of storage and even with my kids taking up space in the drawers and the counter with their gadgets, we still have empty storage space. The kids keep all their clothes in the car so they can access them any time.

For your younger ones the attached tent will work fine, but a regular tent would probably work just fine also, which would be much cheaper and more flexible as to where you put it. I have three different sized tents and I just bring whichever ones are needed by the number of kids I have.
    Aileen, Muggles & Scout @ 2018 T@b CS-S @ 2018 RAV4 Adventure @ Massachusetts