Options

12V Current Draw by the 50 Qt. ARB Fridge

Partially filled the ARB with a large pre-chilled (not frozen) water jug and a bowl of ice cubes.  Set the ARB for 25*.  Pre-cooled the ARB in the house using 110V for about 10 hours.  Disconnected the battery tender on the T@B.  Reading before connecting the ARB was 12.98V and 99.9% capacity (2 6V batteries with a BVM700 battery monitor).  Connected the ARB to the T@B for 24 hours.  Evening sun directly hit the ARB for about two hours while under a shaded carport (daytime temps in the mid-90s).  I also opened and closed the cover several times during the test to resemble actual usage.  Reading after 24 hours = 12.34V and 98.2%.  After talking with an electrical buddy, he suggested a separate battery for the ARB is not needed because of the low draw.  Just run it off the TV system while traveling and connect it to the T@B while camping (using solar for the T@B batteries).  BTW, the ice cubes were still frozen at the end of the test.
2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Great proof, @Tabaz!  

I can go to bed with the voltage meter at 12.6V, and wake up to 12.4V with the ARB connected, the Alde running a bit in the am, and the 3-way fridge running with the auxiliary fridge fan running, also. I rarely use more than .4V at night with the ARB always connected to the two 6-Volt T@B batteries. And this is in Arizona all winter. 

I love my ARB!
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I bought the IndelB.  Though I do not have the same tech details, I had done what your electrical friend suggested: ran the cooler on my TV while in transit and reconnected to T@B & shore power when landed.  I used a paper cup to make an ice cube(1 big one) for my evening cocktails! ;)  I have since bought 2 ice cube trays (silpat) that fit in the bottom.  Either the ARB or the IndelB or one of the other mfg of these high performance 2 way coolers is an excellent investment!!
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback