Opinions on wifi boosters

Hello all,

Does anyone have any suggestions on reliable wifi boosters?

Over the summer, I plan to travel and work remotely, so I'll need to have internet access.

Most wifi in campgrounds is hit or miss. Since I need something reliable, I was thinking about getting a wifi booster.

What are your experiences with them? Do they really work? Worth the money? Should I scrap the idea and drive into town for a few hours to work?

Thank you for your suggestions.
States Visited Map

2017 T@B 320 S (Honey J@ck)
2015 Honda Pilot 4WD w/tow package (Vanilla Bean)
East Bay, Ca

Comments

• 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    Will a Wi-Fi booster really help? My experiance thus far is even if you are sitting next to the camps antenna(signal strength full on) there are so many other ppl vying for the bandwidth that thruput sux. Maybe consider a cell booster and use your own personal hotspot....imho
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    A search of “booster” turned up 5 pages, with a number of them referring to WiFi boosters and cell boosters. There’s some good reading in the the previous posts. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • IslandJoIslandJo Member Posts: 60
    We use our own hotspot, a mini wireless device that plugs into our laptop. A wifi booster is a relay of the signal not a bandwidth booster. The big problem in hotels & campgrounds is bandwidth not the distance from the router.
    2018 T@B CS-S on an Outback axle 
    2017 Toyota Tacoma with tow package
    Pacific Northwest 
  • 4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    @IslandJo That's what I am saying... bandwidth is depleted by number of users, and there is nothing we as users can do about it, regardless of signal strength.  This is the inherent problem with any  "broadband" (shared)connection vs a "baseband" (private)connection.
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I had a very good wifi experience at Arrowhead RV park on Buena Vista last fall and also at the Jellystone RV park in Larkspur, so I think some RV parks are starting to turn the corner. 

I have found the wifi booster helpful, especially if I am overnight in at Walmart. I can often pick up nearby wifi with my booster.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014