Options

Streaming Netflix

Not really electrical, nor a mod...

so, was playing with the television as we prepare for Memorial Day...gloria & I enjoy our movies, so, as we will eventually run out of dvds to watch, I thought I’d try to stream Netflix.  So, success.

Plugged my Amazon fire stick into the hdmi port, powered the unit via usb, and connected to the internet via mobile hotspot on my phone. Works like a champ! Only down side is audiopipes through tv speakers rather then through the stereo. I need to play with system a bit more to see if I can back feed audio through the stereo. If not, not biggie. So, as long as I have cell signal, got all the movies in the world.  If it looks like I won’t have cell, then I’ll just down load to my cell phone...

next mod will be to install a USB port behind tv!
TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
2018 320S Outback

Comments

• Options
    MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,502
    How's the data usage (for those of us with pay as you go plans)?
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • Options
    trainwreckedtrainwrecked Member Posts: 31
    I download some movies to my phone before I go - vudu, Netflix, Amazon.  I have a lightning to hdmi adapter I plug into my iphone that copies the phone screen to the tv and looks great, also let’s me charge the phone at the same time.
    2016 T@b M@x S Sofitel >- 2017 Subaru Outback 3.6
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    I hooked up an old Chromecast to see if it would work. The TV has a USB port built in that you can use to power your device. The Chromecast works fine on our driveway where we have WiFi. Next time we go camping I’ll try it with my phone hotspot. We have unlimited data, but I expect we’ll get throttled.
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    I have unlimited data plans as wel, so what me worry!?
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    I download some movies to my phone before I go - vudu, Netflix, Amazon.  I have a lightning to hdmi adapter I plug into my iphone that copies the phone screen to the tv and looks great, also let’s me charge the phone at the same time.
    I also connect the phone to the Jensen stereo through bluetooth for the full experience.
  • Options
    @trainwrecked are you saying you stream audio AND video via Bluetooth from your phone to the Jensen head unit?  Pray tell how as I only get audio, and when audio is playing I get the “no signal” message on my tv screen. Mind you, I am able to play DVDs, so all of my settings seem to be correct between the tv & head unit...
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    Video straight to the tv via hdmi, audio to the head unit - but they sync up quite well for me.
  • Options
    Ahhh...
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    I use a Microsoft Wireless display adapter and stream from both my laptop and my phone via Miracast. I am thinking about bringing my portable bluetooth speaker for audio this year.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    GATabberGATabber Member Posts: 31
    I'm still trying to find a way to stream Netflix without using my phone as a hot spot (we have unlimited data, but only 10G for hotspot - I imagine that would be used up quickly streaming movies. Also, don't have room on phone to download before camping.) I found a blog post that mentioned using an HDMI splitter to get around the HDCP issue with Netflix and the HDMI adapter. We are in testing phase...but sure hope I can make something work before our May 18 trip!
    2017 T@B 320 S
    TV 2012 Honda Odyssey/2018 Toyota Tacoma
  • Options
    FYI: T-Mobile has unlimited phone & data for 55+, for those who are this young!;)
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    I just went out and gave it a try...

On verizon LTE (not on WiFi) and hooked up with the apple lightning to hdmi adapter I could stream Netflix.  I tried The Office and Captain America - showed up on the TV just fine, no HDCP issues. 

However, my LTE signal was terrible the moment I hooked up the adapter.  Not sure if this is hardware thing with my particular phone model or the adapter is putting out interference.  Consistently terrible as soon as I hooked it up and right back to good as soon as I unplugged. 

But, you can also download to the Netflix app while not on wifi, the only limitation is not all of their offerings are available for download.
  • Options
    GATabberGATabber Member Posts: 31
    I just went out and gave it a try...

On verizon LTE (not on WiFi) and hooked up with the apple lightning to hdmi adapter I could stream Netflix.  I tried The Office and Captain America - showed up on the TV just fine, no HDCP issues. 

However, my LTE signal was terrible the moment I hooked up the adapter.  Not sure if this is hardware thing with my particular phone model or the adapter is putting out interference.  Consistently terrible as soon as I hooked it up and right back to good as soon as I unplugged. 

But, you can also download to the Netflix app while not on wifi, the only limitation is not all of their offerings are available for download.
    You are my hero! Thanks so much for this info, and for giving it a try! I'm picking up my adapter after work today and will give it a go myself once I get home. We are brand new to T@B, and this group, and I already love it here! Everyone is so helpful! Thanks again!!
    2017 T@B 320 S
    TV 2012 Honda Odyssey/2018 Toyota Tacoma
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    For those with unlimited plans, different carriers have different terms and conditions, but I know a few will slow you down to 3g type of speeds after you burn through a certain data threshold. 

If you are a Fios TV and a VZW customer, you can stream for free through the Fios TV app.

I download purchases and other videos on my laptop and my phone to save data and because so many campgrounds have no service.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    borkieborkie Member Posts: 7
    Hi Everyone. We are new owners of a 400. We plugged an iphone into the TV with lightening adapter and HDMI, but the TV says No Signal on the HDMI port. What step did we miss? 
  • Options
    WannaBeMiniWannaBeMini Member Posts: 13
    I have done the same on our 400, and it works.  Make sure your lightning adapter is genuine Apple, or phone may not recognize it.
    Pat, Steve, Rowdy & Shadow
    2018 T@B 400 - "T@KO T@B"
  • Options
    derezinderezin Member Posts: 2
    If you are streaming NetFlix you can choose a lower streaming quality which on the little TVs you shouldn't notice a difference.   An HD movie can consume up to 3GB a hour while a basic low video quality is only 0.3 GB a hour.  UHD is up to 7GB an hour. 

We have a separate profile for "Low Bandwidth".  You can add up to five profiles to your account by visiting the Netflix website and selecting Manage Profiles from the My Profile section of your Account.  From: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/10421

Then switch the "Low Bandwidth" profile. Enter your account settings and towards the bottom select Playback Settings and select the low option.  Details at: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87?ba=SwiftypeResultClick&q=playback settings 

Happy streaming. 
    2019 T@B 400 - Tow Vehicle is 2014 AWD Acura MDX