Boondock Style Cargo Nets

BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
edited May 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades
For any Boondock model owners who have the factory-installed cargo netting over the side wooden shelves, as shown here..
https://tab.nucamprv.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2017/12/T@B-Outback-Netting-1024x683-1024x683.jpg
I'd be curious to hear from you how these are attached to the wood, and how the one back corner shown is attached to the ceiling - screws or something else?  What do the fasteners look like?  I wonder if that ceiling attachment point next to a seam happens to be where one of the aluminum framing ribs runs across the ceiling?  Seems like it would need to be, in order to endure tugging on the net to access stored items.
I'm planning to add some netting to our 2018-320S.

-Brian in Chester, Virginia
TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 

Comments

• jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    Sorry re lighting-all 4 corners screwed in
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

• BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    Thanks, jgram2, that helps!  I can see they are both anchored into the seam trim in the ceiling, use screws, and the clips & netting look the same as what I ordered from OrganizedObie.
  • xboooooxbooooo Member Posts: 33
    edited November 2019
    Thanks, xbooooo.  Since I couldn't find all the details, I figured I may as well provide what I've learned.
    UPDATE:
    Now that I have received my order for an alternative sized cargo net, I have replaced the 4x36" net over the wire shelf with this 8x60" version, which I think is a much better fit, even though the space is only 6" tall..

This 60" size is a better fit for the width, so the net is not stretched so tight, and it allows the top to be more easily pulled down for access.  It also has the added benefit of coming with mounting hooks that are larger/sturdier and allow the net to be removed easily, versus the small, but more permanent clips that come with the smaller nets which don't allow easy net removal without removing the screw.

At right you can see the large hooks that come with the 8" tall cargo nets.  Compare to the non-removable net clip in the corner to the left which comes with the 4" nets.

There were enough of these hook style mounts that I was able to replace the old clips at the tops of all three cargo nets with hooks, so all nets can be temporarily released at the top for access to shelves if needed.  It's not really necessary, but could be more convenient at times.

• jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    BrianZ said:
    So, I had an 8"x48" cargo net leftover; then I thought of an unconventional place for it that might be handy for some additional storage space under the rear cabinets..

I installed the hooks 2" from the edges in an 8"x50" layout.

We think this will be handy for storing the small pillows we use for bed (one at each end in this photo) and for bed clothes or other clothing.

The space can be accessed if needed without dropping the back of the seat, though it's easier with the back down & we think it will be convenient for storing items needed at bedtime.

I might steal the under the cabinets idea.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

edited November 2019
    Please do, @jkjenn .
    Here's a closer view..

I'm showing 10 hooks, but this 8x48" size comes with 8, which is enough.  I added two that were left from my wire shelf net, so the space would divide evenly for my wife & I.

• thoreau24thoreau24 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you so much @BrianZ for this wonderful tutorial!  We just installed the 2 nets above our windows and also the long one under the back cabinets.  What a wonderful addition and the perfect place to stash tablets, phones and books. 
    Wee Be@stie - Red & Grey 2017 T@B 320 pulled with a grey 2020 Toyota Tacoma.  Not all those who wander are lost.
  • hymiehymie Member Posts: 150
    Love the under cabinet net. Brilliant!
    James & Jacquie     Almonte, Ontario
    2016 Jeep Cherokee & 2017 T@B Outback
  • thoreau24thoreau24 Member Posts: 4
    hymie said:
    I think that's our favorite part.  It's going to be super handy and you can't even see it when you're standing or sitting.

Wee Be@stie - Red & Grey 2017 T@B 320 pulled with a grey 2020 Toyota Tacoma.  Not all those who wander are lost.
  • TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    hymie said:
    I agree, but also love your detailed pics and directions...
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

Brian,
    Since you seem to be the hardware master, what size screw would you use to attach the clip I just received to hold up the optional outside storage door?  

( not hyjacking thread, just a simple question and I’ll leave the room...grin)..
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

edited August 2018
    Thanks you all, and for a good chuckle, Dale!
    @TerryV6, I would probably have an answer for you if I had the hardware in my hands, and if I knew what it was being mounted on.  Sorry, but I will have defer to someone who might know more about it.
    No problem really.  It’s just a simple plastic clip and I remember when Austin cut the hole, he said there wasn’t any worry about hitting anything.  

T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    @TerryV6 I use a small suction cup with hook to snag the storage door handle and suction it to the trailer. Easy to remove and I keep it right inside the opening.
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    Clever!
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

Well, it was more of a matter of Jody saying, what? Drilling into our baby?  Better get advice first.  
      But, she was inside, I was outside (86 degrees) and I just grabbed the appropriate length in a stainless, and mounted the clip.  She must have that radar my mom had.  I swear she was standing next to me as I straightened up.  I was then told, Austin says to put some caulk on that....  Okay honey...  

okay....  back to cargo netting discussion...
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

:) Good for you, @TerryV6!  I was thinking I should have at least suggested using stainless, so glad you had that covered.  I would have said use a size that fits, but didn't want to sound like a smart ass.  Yeah, caulk on the screw is a good idea.  Looks great! Bet that will be handy.
  • PoodleMayhemPoodleMayhem Member Posts: 11
    I stumbled upon this post after I had already ordered nets from Organized Obie.  Helpful info, great install detail.  Thanks for sharing!
    Laura
    2017 T@B 320 S / 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Santa Fe, NM
    3 nights and counting...
  • Kjvo3n1Kjvo3n1 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2019
    OrganizedObie.com has baggage door magnets so that you don't have to use 2 hands to open and lock your baggage door.  Just lift it and click it to the magnet and it sticks.  It replaces the clips that like to break.
  • DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,409
    edited August 2019
    If I were to install one of those baggage doors I would consider putting the hinge on the bottom. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • morey000morey000 Member Posts: 155
    Kjvo3n1 said:
    OrganizedObie.com has baggage door magnets so that you don't have to use 2 hands to open and lock your baggage door.  Just lift it and click it to the magnet and it sticks.  It replaces the clips that like to break.
    yup- got that same magnet.  it works.  
    Silver on Silver, 320S '19 Outback Lite
  • LisaHLisaH Member Posts: 29
    @BrianZ - I am very impressed with the cargo net installation in the back end of the trailer.  My husband and I were planning to install cargo nets in the same location but the shelf idea is even better.  Can you please send or post pictures of how the shelf was attached? I see there is some sort of L bracket attached above the overhead cabinet.  I would love to see how the shelf is attached to the side brackets.  Really like the cargo nets underneath as well.  We tend to pile stuff on the back shelf which makes the back drawer section hard to get it. 

Thank you!

2018 T@b 320S Boondock, towed by 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    @BrianZ, very nice, where did you get the hooks and cargo net from?
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
    @LisaH, below is a link to the page with shelf details, which I think will answer all your questions.. (a modification of Dale Helman's original idea)..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/92423#Comment_92423
    The support bracket is custom cut from a strip of metal shelving bracket, bent to fit, with a plastic wire shelf support bolted to it.
    @Denny16, the above linked page has a link to the netting from Organized Obie.  They come with hooks.
  • Denny16Denny16 Member Posts: 5,420
    Thanks  Brian 
    cheers
    2018 TaB400 Custom Boondock,  Jeep Gladiator truck, Northern California Coast.
  • LisaHLisaH Member Posts: 29
    Thank you! I've ordered the cargo nets and I'll start gathering parts for the shelf.  It looks like 'custom cut" shelving that can be purchased from Home Depot or Lowes. This will make my husband happy since I take over all the cabinets and leave him with very little storage! 
    2018 T@b 320S Boondock, towed by 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
    edited August 2020
    @LisaH, not sure if I said in the old posting, but I believe I got the wire shelf at Home Depot & the plastic supports too.  Can't remember if it needed cutting or not, although I did cut ones I installed over the open compartments behind the back seat for more storage - another clever idea not mine ( see bottom of this page for my version..
    https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3027/a-question-about-storage-under-the-rear-sofa-my-solution/p2)
    Also added some storage bins next to the wheel well under the passenger side seat (https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/7146/2nd-tier-storage-method-under-seat).