Comments

• Options
    LisaHLisaH Member Posts: 29
    BrianZ thanks for the detail.  I’ll have to check out the drawer bins, too
    2018 T@b 320S Boondock, towed by 2012 Toyota Highlander Hybrid
  • Options
    BrianZBrianZ Member Posts: 1,763
    edited May 2022
    Follow-up on Cargo Nets from Organized Obie..
    Here is what our cargo nets from OrganizedObie look like after 4 years..

They have lost all elasticity, except the bungee cord around the perimeter is still in good shape.  My plan was to replace the cargo net and reuse the cord.  To this end, I  found the following stretchy fabric that looked like it would do the job..

I bought one yard of the 58" wide "Caberet Stretch Mesh" for $10 ($18 shipped) and cut a 5.5 x 50" piece to fit our rear shelf.
    In order to reuse the bungee cord, I removed one end from the metal clip by driving a sharp nail into the cord inside the clip to force it open..

Then used needle nose pliers & vice grips to pry it open & to reclose it after threading it through the new netting.
    Here is the result..

I'm satisfied with both the looks & functionality of this; although, I have no idea what the durability will be like.  
    A closer view..

I still have to do the two side shelves, but will have plenty to do those and still have enough left over to replace them a couple more times if needed.  It's a bit of work, but doesn't take very long.
    -Brian in Chester, Virginia
    TV: 2005 Toyota Sienna LE (3.3L V6)
    RV: 2018 T@B 320S, >100 mods 
  • Options
    PNWtabberPNWtabber Member Posts: 491
    Re: stretching out of the cargo net over time.  I bought my 2018 Boondock from the original owners in 2020.  The cargo nets were already terribly stretched out.  I've considered replacing the netting.
    2018 T@B 320 S Boondock  |  2015.5 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD  |  Seattle, WA, USA
    "Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures.”― Lovelle Drachman

• Options
    I got the two side shelves done today.
    Passenger side..

And driver side..

It worked out nicely with the one yard of 58" mesh fabric, because I only needed 12" (a 5.5 & 6.5" strip) to do all three shelves..
    Pass Side:  36 x 6.5"
    Driver Side:  20 x 5.5"
    Rear Shelf:  50 x 5.5"
    That means I still have enough left to do this two more times if needed.  :)
    By the way, all the upper hooks are open hooks, so the mesh can simply be pulled off if needed for better access.
  • Options
    thedoolittlesthedoolittles Member Posts: 11
    Nice job on the cargo nets. But I want to know about the little fans. Are they battery operated? I could use one of those. 🥵
    2019 T@B 320CS - "Miller"
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Notes On Reusing Bungee Cord Clips:
    If you want to re-use your old bungee cords from Organized Obie, I thought I should provide a bit more detail on how I removed & re-used their metal clips.  However, if you want to avoid this, you could just cut the metal clips off & add a new clip to rejoin the ends after threading the cord through the fabric.  Try googling "shock cord clamps crimps" for some sources of metal crimp clamps.
    If you're handy with tools and want to reuse the old clamps, here's some advice on how I proceeded, using pliers, visegrips, bench vise, and a chisel or large sharp nail..
    First, you need to identify which side of the metal clip is the open side where you can separate the two halves of the clamp, in order to open one of them to release the cord..

Next, use an old chisel, screwdriver or large sharp nail to drive between the two halves with a hammer to separate & pry them apart enough to grip one side with visegrips..

With one side locked in the vice (or a second pair of visegrips, I then used visegrips to bend one side open to about 90 degrees..

Next, I clamped the stretched cord in the vise to hold one side, so that I could drive a sharp nail inside the bent clip to open it up & free the cord.  Note that one side was always bent more flat, while the other was more open & more rounded looking, which made it the easier side to open..

After removing the bungee cord, I  spent a little time using the vise, visegrips, & pliers to bend and restore the toothed metal end to a more rounded shape to fit the cord when it's  time to reattach the ends.

After weaving the cord through the edges of the fabric, I then used the visegrips to squeeze the metal clamp tight around the cord.  Then I gently squeezed the two halves of the clip back together.  I always bent the metal slowly, a bit at a time, to avoid breaking it.
    PS:
    When reattaching the cord, pay attention to which direction the cord is going, as you don't want to have to take it apart again!  (Don't ask me how I  know this. ;) )
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Yes, @thedoolittles, they are battery operated and rechargeable via USB cable that it comes with.  We've had them for a while, but I'll see if I can find my Amazon order for a reference..
    Very handy, bythe way.  I've also clamped it to the corner of my gravity chair.
    Update:
    This was our purchase..

The exact model is not available, but if you search Amazon for "rechargeable clip-on fan battery usb", you'll get a bunch of similar ones..

The ones we have are probably most similar to this one..
    Viniper Rechargeable Clip on Fan, 5000mah Battery Desk Fan : 360° Rotation & 3 Speeds Strong Wind Portable Fan, Longer Working Hours, Quiet and Powerful for Home,Office,Outdoor (Blue) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S7LV7JJ
    Ours is rechargeable via a micro USB cable provided.
  • Options
    thedoolittlesthedoolittles Member Posts: 11
    Thank you!!
    2019 T@B 320CS - "Miller"
  • Options
    GigHarborTomGigHarborTom Member Posts: 76
    We enjoy the little usb fans. Had them in the T@G before theTAB. 
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2020 TAB 320 S Boondock Lite
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    Ordered 2 OBIE 8X32 framed nets for under the rear cabinets. Now concerned about how long they will last. Liked the small ones in the past.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    Does anyone know the thickness of the back wall. Is it plywood? Considering mounting net under the shelf or the wall. I have two framed 8X32 framed pcket nets. Hoped to ease istallation Vs unframed. Ain't as limber as a few years ago.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    Having issues with the installation of above window cubby nets. Purchased the 4x20", and 4 X36. Pre drilled all screw holes per suggested. Find that the screw for clamps provided pull through the clamps. Additionally I cannot for the life of me,  stretch the recommended nets to fit. Others have not had these issues and I can see different screws are sometimes used. I'm using the Obie nets.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country
  • Options
    Communicated with Obey Wan this morning. They are sending proper screw and helpful with the net span issue I have been fumbling with.
    Gig Harbor Tom
    2019 Toyota 4 Runner
    Puget Sound Country