Axle maintenance--greasing or repacking?

FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
As a non-mechanical person I am hoping I get my teminology right--the annual recommended servicing that is recommended for Tab axles is greasing, right?  Just squirting some grease in? We don't have to disassemble, repack, and replace the seal annually, do we?  The cost of these two things are vastly different.
2015 T@b 320S Maxx Outback, aka "Alie Cat"
TV:  2012 Honda Ridgeline

Alice
Crozet, VA

Comments

• ScottGScottG Administrator Posts: 5,391
    There's a few threads here about this, so you might want to search around. Some do the full disassembly and maintenance on a regular schedule (or have it done at a qualified trailer shop).

In contrast, I suspect many just ignore it entirely. Outta' sight outta' mind,right?  ;-)

I fall in the middle. Having the EZ Lube zerk fitting makes it a snap to top the grease up at the beginning of each season, so thus far that's what I've done. It's not like I've put on a crazy number of miles.

Might have to revisit this, though, as I'm heading into my fourth season...
    2015 T@B S
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @Freshaire, you are referring to greasing the wheel bearings.  Your 2015 should have the Dexter axle zerk fittings that allows you to add new grease annually without completly repacking the bearings.

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/5934/bearing-maintenance-on-2016-tab-outback-s-max

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6627/video-how-to-grease-dexter-axels/p1

https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/3295/wheel-bearing-grease/p1

Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • FreshaireFreshaire Member Posts: 97
    Thank you @ScottG and @SAM.  I have read thru the threads you posted SAM and found conflicting information--some just grease their bearings, some repack, some do nothing.  Since my Tab is new to me and there is a question about what is going on with my axle (see Post for Help! Is this a normal looking axle), I have decided to let my mechanic disassemble and repack the bearings.  That way I'll feel better about traveling this spring.  It's an expense I hadn't planned on and it is delaying me a week from leaving on my trip, but I'll leave feeling confident.  My next dilemma will be how often to regrease; every 6,000 miles vs. every 30,000 miles (both of which I have read in the above posted threads.  A little consensus would be nice.  : ) 

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    edited May 2018
    With the EZ Lube system it is really easy to re-pack your bearings.  Spin the wheel while pumping in grease with the grease gun until you start seeing new grease come out.  I just re-packed mine manually as I didn't want to mix grease types and I didn't know what was put in at the factory, but next year I will certainly just use the EZ Lube method.  Without the EZ Lube system then yes - it requires pulling the hub and bearings out, re-packing manually, and replacing the grease seal.

I would do it or have it done every year regardless of mileage, or at least every two if you do not travel a lot.

A local trailer shop quoted me $150 per axle to re-pack bearings, which I think is decent.  After what I went through last Sunday I should have payed it :)
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
    I was told the re-packing of my bearings will cost me between $100 - $150 per axle.  I'm glad to hear that is a decent figure.  I'm feeling better about the manual approach this year and then the EZ Lube approach next year. 

Alice
    Crozet, VA
    I just did a quick check in the 2017 Tab Manual page 49 that lists wheel bearings “inspect and add grease as required”.  Not helpful!  Then I found an old post from Mike in 2014 in reference to axle and bearings.  He reported that in early 2013, the factory changed from Al-Ko to Dexter axles (and as an aside, more recently, Dexter purchased Al-Ko).  He asked the factory about the recommended maintenance.

Michigan_Mike Posts: 2,174Administrator
    This is the response back from the factory this morning:

ALKO Axles on Dutchmen T@Bs (from Europe) - sealed; no maintenance required

ALKO and DEXTER axles from Pleasant Valley - not sealed, equipped with zerk fittings/bearing buddies

*Inspect and grease once a year or 20,000 miles.

Mike Smith 
    Linden, Mi 
    2015 T@B Max S

It specified from early 2013 production dates and forward have the zerk fittings.  So, grease annually or every 20,000 miles - whichever comes first!  
  • dsfdogsdsfdogs Member Posts: 583
    And here is what I received from Creed at nuCamp warranty: "we recommend every 12,000 miles or year for a bearing repack. Dexter recommends a Lithium Complex grease (ex. Valvoline Multi Purpose Grease is what we use here). Just as long as you don’t mix the types of greases"
    Debbie in Oregon
    2023 Tab 400 / 2022 F150 XLT Sport 3.5EB
    Traded in - 2018 T@B 320 S/2019 Toyota 4Runner SR5

• mgreen2mgreen2 Member Posts: 87
    Be careful with just adding grease. You can put in too much and damage the seals. If you have the Dexter E Z Lube type you change out the grease by spinning the wheel as you put in the new grease. The wheel turning forces out the old grease and the new grease is moved in to replace it. It is very easy to do this. Just prepare to catch the old grease as it comes out. Watch the video first.

If you have a newer camper it probably has the E Z Lube. You can tell by taking off the dust cap and it has E Z Lube on the rubber cover. See the photos below.

If you dont have the E Z Lube system you have to pull out the bearings and manually repack with grease. This is probably better left to a mechanic unless you’ve done it before or have someone to show you how. An auto mechanic can do this, you don’t need to take it to a RV dealer.

• leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I followed the instructions and still blew a seal! Luckily I have a habit of feeling the bearings frequently. When I saw it was hot i had it checked and no damage was done .
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
    @leenscottfl, how  does one "feel the bearings" and how often should you do it?

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • leenscottflleenscottfl Member Posts: 254
    I just feel the hub to see if it is hot when I stop for gas or whatever. If the bearing is hot the hub will be hot. A habit arising from a lifetime of towing boats. Saved me more than once.
    Scott, Orange Park, Florida...2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara... 2015 T@B S Maxx "Buttercup".
    @leenscottfl, that sounds like a good habit to incorporate into travel.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I learn so much here!

Alice
    Crozet, VA
  • jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,389
    I have also received the feedback to clean, repack the bearings and replace the seals at 12,000 miles. I have always done bearing service to have them inspected and repacked annually, because of the long trips I take. I use a local trailer utility place that does top notch work, usually, or, if my T@b is in for other work at the factory, I let them do it.

This seems like something not worth skimping on. I think there are some under the impression that replacing the seals and I suspecting the bearings is never necessary and that is not my understanding from nuCamp. 

I also ask for an annual safety inspection either from my utility trailer place or nuCamp. It's helpful to have another set of eyes looking fro problem areas.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

So, grease annually via the zerk and repack every 12,000 miles then, Jenn?
    SAM said:
    So, grease annually via the zerk and repack every 12,000 miles then, Jenn?
    That is what I hear from nuCamp. 

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• rbrtmrbrtm Member Posts: 34
    Any idea what the factory wheel grease was on 2018-400 (Lithium?) 
    @rbrtm last April I asked Creed at NuCamp about the bearings and grease and this was his response (I have a 2018 320): "Dexter greasing their axles in factory so your trailer should be ready to go – and we recommend every 12,000 miles or year for a bearing repack. Dexter recommends a Lithium Complex grease (ex. Valvoline Multi Purpose Grease is what we use here). Just as long as you don’t mix the types of greases"
    Debbie in Oregon

• Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    edited January 2019
    @rbrtm The factory grease and other specs for the running gear on a 2019 Boondock Lite can be found here.  This is still a draft project but as these pages are mostly done, perhaps posting it here will help.   Page 35 specifies the grease per factory.
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
    dsfdogs said:
    @rbrtm last April I asked Creed at NuCamp about the bearings and grease and this was his response (I have a 2018 320): "Dexter greasing their axles in factory so your trailer should be ready to go – and we recommend every 12,000 miles or year for a bearing repack. Dexter recommends a Lithium Complex grease (ex. Valvoline Multi Purpose Grease is what we use here). Just as long as you don’t mix the types of greases"
    I have also been advised by repair at nuCamp to repack the bearings and replace the seals at 12k miles. 

• N7SHG_HamN7SHG_Ham Member Posts: 1,261
    My take on this is if you are going to pull and repack @ 12k miles then it is likely no grease will be needed in between. That avoids the risk of greasing the brakes. If the grease didn't leak out, then the bearing still has grease. A person doesn't constantly have to pack automobile bearings at least not since the 1960's, I think a high quality grease should easily make 12k miles on a trailer axle. At 12k tear down, inspect, replace seals, adjust brakes and be good for another 12k.
    2019 T@B 400 Boondock Lite
  • Awca12aAwca12a Member Posts: 286
    12k or 1yr seems an odd recommendation.   I get the 12k or 2yr if it sits around but 1yr seems like a recommendation from the days before modern grease formulation.  Any thoughts on this?

best explanation I’ve been given for the time schedule is that trailers sit more than cars.  Sitting allows moisture to build up in the bearings causing rust on bearing surfaces.  When next used, the rust shears off and contaminates the grease preventing the oils from doing their job.  Enough cycles of this and grease just breaks down.  Car bearings get exercised more frequently and dispel moisture, even from just condensation, frequently enough to prevent rust from forming.  

Any mechanical engineers out there willing to clarify any of this further?
    F150 Pulling 2019 T@B400 BDL
  • tabiphiletabiphile Member Posts: 423
    dsfdogs said:
     Dexter recommends a Lithium Complex grease (ex. Valvoline Multi Purpose Grease is what we use here). Just as long as you don’t mix the types of greases"
    This is extremely important. If you mix the greases with differing carriers you can starve the bearings of lubrication. Be 100% certain that your replace grease is compatible.

Another related point copied and pasted from a post last year:
    "One more point related to the wheel/axle service should be considered. At the same time that the bearings are checked annually (or @ 12K) the brakes should also be inspected. The EZ Lube makes it possible for almost anyone to lube the bearings, but it does not address the need for regular brake inspection. We should all aspire to doing our own service and learning how to "wrench" is a nice part of the T@B experience.... but if your skillset does not include inspecting brakes you may be better off leaving axle service to your mechanic. The greasing is the easier one of the two...
  • larrygonlarrygon Member Posts: 255
    I was having problems with my brakes and brought in the T@B to a local shop to be looked at. At this time I only had about five thousand miles on it. They found that one of the seals was damaged and having problems. I was lucky it was found andn repaired. I would personally recommend having the bearings checked after the first year to make sure there are no problems.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
    2015 T@B M@X S White with Grey trim | TV 2021 Ascent Touring | Flagstaff AZ.
  • MegaMega Member Posts: 69
    I have a 2017 Tab css bought new in July 2017.After reading through all these I think I’m going to bring it to my dealership to what repack or just grease? I did not have this maintenance done last year.
  • dmerzbacdmerzbac Member Posts: 289
    @Mega I've had my 2017 320 a little over two years and I haven't added grease or had the bearings and brakes checked. I'm taking it in next week to a local rv dealer to have everything to have all of that checked. After reading some postings about bearing and wheel issues, I've decided I don't want to take any chances. I will also start changing out the grease myself about every 6000 miles.

2017 T@b 320 - 'Smokey'  2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport - 'B@ndit'
    Dave - Tuscaloosa, Al

@dmerzbac I have an appointment on Friday to take the trailer to a utility trailer place for a repack and brake check. They know all about the Dexter axles. They will charge about $100 and be done in a couple hours. I only have 1000 miles from last years travels. This is inexpensive maintenance.
    Debbie in Oregon

• peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51
    Realize this is an old thread but very important! Last year our 5 year old f/g trailer suffered both wheels failing (one in Arizona and one in British Columbia) bearing and brake failure (Dexter axles), even with annual maintenance (obviously badly done by a different shop than I normally used only a month before that 3 month road trip).  Our new  2019 400 is now home after 3000 mile trip and I note that one side is beginning to run warm/hot...not super hot, but warmer than the other. This would be the brake not the bearing as the hub is cool.  So in to a (what I consider reliable trailer shop) for a repack and brake adjustment inspection.  At $150. that is cheap assurance.
    Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI
    @peterjoce400 is it the wheel/tire that is running hot? I have a TPMS system that shows temperature, so if a brake is rubbing, would I see the temperature rise on the TPMS?

In hindsight, was there any way to know before failure the bearing/brake work was done badly?

Thank you, very insightful info.

Debbie in Oregon

• MarcelineMarceline Member Posts: 1,497
    Freshaire said:
    @leenscottfl, that sounds like a good habit to incorporate into travel.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I learn so much here!
    Approach with caution - if your bearings really are bad they can get hot enough to burn you. Hover your hand over the hub for a second before actually touching it. I check every time I stop. Cheap insurance. 
    San Francisco Bay Area
    2013 CS-S us@gi
    Battered but trusty 3.5l V6 Hyundai Santa Fe
    2015 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
  • peterjoce400peterjoce400 Member Posts: 51
    As with all work done, you really have to have confidence in the workmanship.  I like to stay close and watch ( how many times does the mechanic take his/her mind off the job at hand to talk on their phone or wander away to see about something else - on return - now where were we?) That is particularily irksome to me as when you start my job, I am paying the hourly rate - you focus on me and only me (my sentiment personally).  I wholeheartedly agree with "hover your hand and be careful when touching "- when those wheels were hot (they actually were smoldering with tons of smoke), they stayed red hot for a very long time. Yes they would severly burn you at that point. 

Hans Peter,  Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
    2019 T@B400 Rogue
    2012 VW Touareg 3.0 TDI