Beware of clamshell hatch thieves!

CarolynCarolyn Member Posts: 123
we have never locked our back hatch and have never had a problem . . . until  yesterday!  We stopped at a Cracker Barrell in Charleston, WV for breakfast and parked in the back lot. There were 13 police cars in the lot beside us so we felt safe. When we came out we noticed a box truck angled next to us blocking the view from the street but didn’t think too much about it. When we got home we noticed that the television had been ripped from the wall and a few other small items stolen. We will probably start locking the hatch when we travel now. 
2014 CS, tie-dyed exterior, "Tabula Rasa" and 2009 T@da also tie-dyed, “Grateful”

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    Yuck!  I’m so sorry that happened to you, @Carolyn.  I’ll never understand the dishonest thieves in this world. 

I think my “always lock when I leave” attitude came from my career at the phone company. It was company regulation that enforced the always lock your truck/van because of the amount of tools and equipment we had. I didn’t like getting written up so I followed the rules. It’s second nature now, check to make sure I have my keys first, then lock everything up. It’s not that I don’t trust my friends and fellow campers, if it’s locked, I worry less. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • ColleenD2ColleenD2 Member Posts: 411
    What a shame, I am so sorry to hear this.
    2019 Custom T@B 320 U Boondock Lite-ish
    We slept in 34 states, 2 countries & counting.

• Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,461
    We lock the hatch as a matter of course just to asure the hatch does not spring open.
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,916
    @Carolyn, condolences. Best wishes going forward.
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.