Options

Engel Fridge

We have a 2016 Tab S Outback, and our Norcold 3-way just died an ammonia-leakage death after less than 2 years (I would say RIP, but I hated that thing!).  We've successfully removed the fridge and are now looking to replace it either with a truck fridge in a custom slide-out cabinet, or the Engel SR70 (https://www.engelcoolers.com/sr70f-u1.html).  I've seen several posts of the former and also of those installing the smaller Engel SR48, but has anyone successfully replaced the 3-way Norcold with the SR70?  The website lists the minimum depth cutout dimensions as 20.6", and at it appears the depth of the cutout of the Tab is right at 20.6" with no additional room to spare.  I'm worried with the curvature behind the fridge and the weird trapezoidal shape of the fridge that it might not be deep enough.  I'd hate to order this pricey fridge ($730!) and it not fit.  Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
2016 Tab S Outback

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    It seems that RZRBUG did replace a 2-way Norcold with the Engle SR48 and it was a perfect fit in the space.

The only mention I can find is someone else asking RZRBUG if the SR70 would fit. RZRBUG didn’t know if the SR70 would fit.

The discussion is “Norcold Removal”, and it may be the discussion you were referring to. RZRBUG did mention that the 2-way is smaller than the 3-way.
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Member Posts: 1,591
    Build yourself a cardboard model, see how it fits real-world.

Engel web-site has limited manuals and no detailed dimensional drawings . . .  you most likely can make do with that information . . . or you could try contacting them and ask for help so a good cardboard model can be completed.
    '18 320 Spitched axle, 3020HE; PNW based
    TV: '17 Colorado V6 Z71 4x4, Tow Package, GM Brake Controller
    Adventures:  51   Nights:  322  Towing Miles 41,200+
  • Options
    mickietucsmickietucs Member Posts: 707
    @SBermudez - if you do this swap out, would you post details of installation? I've considered going that route some day. When you removed the 3-way, what / how did you remove the propane hoses, etc? Thanks!
    Michele, Tucson, AZ. TV - '13 F150 & '16 T@Bitha special order.

You never really travel alone. The world is full of friends waiting to get to know you!

• Options
    SBermudezSBermudez Member Posts: 3
    @mickietucs My husband removed the fridge as he's the fridge/AC guy, and I couldn't tolerate the ammonia leak. It only took him about 15 minutes, and about 5 minutes of that was juggling it out of the cutout. I'll have him send you the details. As far as the propane hoses, he simply capped them off.

I'm going to try the cardboard cutout idea, and I'm crossing my fingers it fits - I'd love to have a 60 qt fridge. Plus there would be plenty of room for additional small cupboard space and shelves around the fridge.
    2016 Tab S Outback

• Options
    SBermudezSBermudez Member Posts: 3
    After building a cardboard model, I am very sad to report the cutout required for the Engel SR70 is about 1/2 inch deeper than the cutout left by the Norcold fridge, mainly because of the curvature of the Tab. We could possibly build the extra 1/2 inch frame, but I'm not comfortable enough spending the $730 on a "maybe this could work!" mod. 

The SR48 would fit nicely with tons of room to spare, but I can't reconcile the measely volume compared to the truck fridges. So we're looking at an IdelB, ARB, or Engel truck fridge and building a slide-out drawer for it.

We've actually found that, since we do a lot of camping in the very warm South where the Norcold could never manage to keep up, we've tended to rely more on coolers and have gotten used to it. I'm about to take a 6-week long road trip before we install the fridge, and it may turn out we really don't need it at all. It might be more beneficial to have the extra storage. We'll see!
    2016 Tab S Outback

• Options
    OpenSkyOpenSky Member Posts: 30
    Sorry to hear this.

Did you look at the Indel-B CR/TF65?  It *may* be about an inch shallower, depending on how you interpret the specs.  The "Truck Fridge" site has a drawing, linked below.

Indel B Site:

Drawing: