Generator suggestions requested for my 2017 320S T@B

Time to purchase a generator! What should I buy? Too many options!
What is the smallest, quietest, best rated, etc.? 
Do I need a gen. or an inverter?
Where to buy it? i.e. Cosco doubles warrenty...
Is there any deals for used ones?

Comments

• maddmikemaddmike Member Posts: 137
    edited June 2018
    I have the CostCo Yamaha powered one. It is pretty good. 

Another popular one one is the Roybi from Home Depot. I tried that one too. It is slight quieter than the Yamaha but with a harsher more metallic sound. Puts out more power though. It has a roller handle setup which is nice till you realize that the handle vibrates when it is running. App is nice too as you can control it from your phone as you lie in bed. However, it is also another thing to break. 

I returned the Roybi as I was having floating ground problems. I later found out that it is very simple to fix. However, the Yamaha powered one has an RV outlet so you just plug and play. Costco warranty is another selling point. 
    Of course, if you want to spend $1,000, just buy a Honda and call it a day. 
  • Silver320Silver320 Member Posts: 30
    Progressive Industries has a disclaimer that the warranty on their EMS is voided for use of a Yamaha EF2000iS.  Here is their statement:

"Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power. Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on True Sine Wave power.

For this reason, The Progressive Industries Warranty is hereby void if an EMS Unit is used in conjunction with a Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS. Any damage sustained to the EMS unit are the sole responsibility of the customer."

source: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/disclaimer

2017 T@B Max S (Silver-Silver), TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
    States Visited Map
  • jgram2jgram2 Member Posts: 1,522
    @Silver320  Well, that’s an important tidbit. Especially for people who don’t read the manuals, much less the page with all of the warning alerts. Thanks!
    John, Judi, Guinness & OD in PDX
    T@Bit@t 2015 S Max Outback, ‘18 V6 4Runner 

Silver320 said:
    Progressive Industries has a disclaimer that the warranty on their EMS is voided for use of a Yamaha EF2000iS.  Here is their statement:

"Please be advised the Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS does not generate enough start-up current which causes the unit to overload. The generator then puts out non-true Sine Wave power. Progressive Industries units are designed to operate only on True Sine Wave power.

For this reason, The Progressive Industries Warranty is hereby void if an EMS Unit is used in conjunction with a Yamaha Generator Model EF2000iS. Any damage sustained to the EMS unit are the sole responsibility of the customer."

source: http://www.progressiveindustries.net/disclaimer

I’m a bit confused. Who is Progressive Industries and why
    are we discussing a Yamaha generator?
  • broderiusbroderius Member Posts: 32
    Do not buy anything that doesn't have a pure sinewave inverter. It will destroy your equipment over time if you don't.  I am using a Honda and it was wicked expensive but it came all in one and is super quiet. 
  • Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,460
    @maddmike, in reference to your posting re a Costco Yamaha, Silver320 just wanted to FYI that you can not use the Progressive Industry brand EMS with the Yamaha generator.  
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • broderiusbroderius Member Posts: 32
    I love Costco but the "Yamaha" powered generator is great in price but produces modified sine wave electricity. I wouldn't plug in any sensitive electronics into it. This would be any laptops or cell phones, medical devices, ect. This doesn't mean that it breaks it on first use or even 20th but over time those pesky resistors and capacitors will fail and you'll need to eventually replace said device.  I would research pure vs modified sine wave before spending the money. Though I am the oddball who puts clean electricity to my electronics at home because of the spikes we get in our American power grid. Lol
    edited June 2018
    SAM said:
    @maddmike, in reference to your posting re a Costco Yamaha, Silver320 just wanted to FYI that you can not use the Progressive Industry brand EMS with the Yamaha generator.  

You misread, I did not post about a Yamaha generator. I said "Yamaha powered". Generator is by A-IPower that is why I was confused to you posting about a Yamaha generator. I have used mine with cellphones and laptops with no issues at all and there are no complaints in the reviews either.