Options

Question about antennas on T@B 400

We recently picked up our new T@B 400 and I am trying to figure out the AV antennas. There is a little tiny one on the outside but I wonder what is is connected to? I can get some very local, powerful FM stations but the signal is degraded when I am in front of the receiver sitting on the bed. Much better if I move to the front.  The TV gets nothing. I presume it must be connected to the cable input on the left side, and unless we install an antenna there will be nothing. (The manual does not mention the AV system. )
T@B 400 2018 Tacoma TRD SR5

Comments

• Options
    Kevin@7Kevin@7 Member Posts: 66
    As the dealer told me that is for radio and I'm pretty sure it ties into the AV and not the TV at all.  Radio signals don't follow predictable rules and are very susceptible to interference in many ways.  Hard to say why you've become the disrupter :confused:  EMC is a very mysterious science that even the experts don't completely understand. 
    2014 Jeep Cherokee trailhawk
    2018 T@B 400 (white w/ red trim)
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    You are correct the small antenna is for the radio.  You have a cable hook up on the drivers side near the power hook up.  Several have tried portable antennas and have had mixed results.  I settled on the permanent mount on the vent stack cap on the roof.  Antennas will usually only work if within range so if you are out of range, a good dvd works well. If you look at the drivers side above the rear window on the edge you will see the white disc antenna.
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab
  • Options
    dvgibsondvgibson Member Posts: 33
    Thanks, how did you mount it to the vent stack? I am very nervous about drilling holes in our brand new trailer. I know it can be done, but you need to know what's on the other side. (BTW, our trailer is the same color as ours. Nice choice. )
    T@B 400 2018 Tacoma TRD SR5
  • Options
    atlasbatlasb Member Posts: 583
    Hi DV,  There is a good thread here on the forum .  Search for" (follow up) roof mount digitial TV antenna".  I mounted the antenna as shown by Terry V6. Removed the black cap on the vent, there is a small screw in the top then the cap slips off.  I ran the cable down the vent stack and into the closet.  Remove the panel above the Alde tank and cut a hole in the black vent tube, large  enough to pass the cable and connector through.  Seal around the cable with silicone and you can fish the cable through the lower compartment.  I put a 2 way switch for the antenna in the alde compartment below the bed.  splice the cable from the cable connection and the one from the antenna and connect to the switch.  I got the screw on cable ends at a local hardware store. 
    2018 T@B 400, 2017 Nissan Titan Crew cab