Recommendations please for Gas Generator/ Inverter needed by a Florida Camper in 2017 T@B 320S

Currently thinking an 2000 Watt ,AI Power/Yamaha powered, unit from Cosco will do. We need AC!

Does anyone have success with this setup?

Is there a better idea under 500$ budget?

Comments

• Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,350
    A 2,000 Watt generator will run the A/C just fine.  I have a Honda, but have been on several camp outs with people using the Westinghouse 2000. About $500 if memory serves. It's a very nice unit and worth considering.
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • BubbaTimBubbaTim Member Posts: 1
    HD is selling a 2300 Ryobi for $599. From June 1 - 7 is tax free for Generators under $750.  Very Quiet.
  • RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    If you are going to run the genny on private land, ignore this! Most campgrounds that allow generators during certain hours will make you turn off a generator that is >50 decibels.

I often wonder about some of the Class A and C ones I've heard in Shenandoah NP. They were loud (to me). I was in a Little Guy Reverse Teardrop at the time with a solar panel on the sloped side (permanent mount). Loved that thing. Wish I had kept it in retrospect. Talk about solid and cozy (especially with 2 big dogs). 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • robptrobpt Member Posts: 90
    60 dB is the level of a normal conversation supposedly (not with some people I know.) The better quality gens run in the low 50s - in ECO mode (mine is a yamaha ef2000is v2 which is rated at 51.4 dB  -at 1/4 load.) The Honda equivalent is about the same. Once you start a small ac, it ramps up and gets louder, so that just wouldn't work for nighttime in a public campground if you need air to sleep. If in my brother's patch of woods, which has no power, and I plan to stay more than a night, I need it for battery charging. If I need air in my 400 and there is no shore power, I need two gens in parallel mode, which is still not much louder than a single in ECO mode. 

Normally, I don't go to public campgrounds unless there is power and water. If I ever did go to one with neither, I would never run one towards evening, or in the early morning, no matter how quiet the gen is. The last time I was at a Florida State Park, the guy next to me in a motorhome came over in the early morning when he saw me up to ask if I minded if he ran his onboard generator to get his slides back in. The courtesy of his asking took a lot of the irritation out of the noise. 

I wish I could do solar, but the weather here where I live makes it a gamble whether you're going to get enough sun to do any charging. This last month it wouldn't have done me much good with daily rain. I can sometimes compensate for heat so as to not run the air - if the humidity is down and there is a breeze - but when the humidity is up in stagnant hot air, you just sit in your camper and sweat without air.  
    North Florida T@B 400 towed by a 2014 Nissan Frontier
  • broderiusbroderius Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2018
    Whatever you buy make sure the inverter is pure sine wave. Modified is terrible and over time can ruin fine electronics and equipment. Honda is the best on the market and offers pure sinewave.  Do your homework. Best of luck.