Options

Replacing the Audio cable from TV to Jensen

I thought I had posted this last week, but I cannot find it, so I might have never posted it. (Sometimes I forget to resume something if I am working on it and lose Internet in the light rail tunnels on my commute.) If this is a duplicate, feel free to delete, moderators.

After I replaced my TV with the Axess 12v with built in DVD player, I have been unable to get the audio to play through the Jensen. I am thinking it might be a bad audio or video cable between the Jensen and the TV. Has anyone replaced either of these cables and if so, do you have nay tips to make it easier to tackle? My TV is mounted on the passenger side.

@Verna did you have to do anything different to get audio through from the TV to the Jensen?

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

Comments

• Options
    VernaVerna Member Posts: 6,878
    @jkjenn, I’ve never really used the Jenson for my AXESS TV as it’s such an energy hog while using solar. Sorry, I haven’t even tried. 
    Verna, Columbus, IN
    2021 T@B 320S  Boondock “The T@B”
    Towed by a white 2019 Ford F-150 4x4 Supercab, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost “The Truck”
  • Options
    Tabaz Tabaz Member Posts: 2,357
    Jenn - after spending several hours trying to replace the coax cable from the outside port to the driver side pedestal, I can almost guarantee it would be impossible to "replace" or run a new cable between the Jensen in the overhead cabinet above the sink and the television.  The route appears wildly circuitous.   
    2016 Outback 320 with a 2010 Ford Expedition.
  • Options
    jkjennjkjenn Member Posts: 6,391
    edited June 2018
    Tabaz said:
    Jenn - after spending several hours trying to replace the coax cable from the outside port to the driver side pedestal, I can almost guarantee it would be impossible to "replace" or run a new cable between the Jensen in the overhead cabinet above the sink and the television.  The route appears wildly circuitous.   
    Thank you @Tabaz. I am thinking O might as well remove the Jensen to save the phantom drain. The DVD player no longer works, anyway. I can use an audio cable and connect or bluetooth if I am streaming from my phone or laptop.

2021 T@b 320 Boondock "Mattie Ross" | 2021 T@b Nights: 239 | Total nights in a T@b 455 | 2022 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Overland | T@b owner since 2014

• Options
    ColoradoJonColoradoJon Member Posts: 415
    @jkjenn - are you attempting to use the built in DVD player on the Axess and send the sound to the Jensen unit?
    Jon & Angela | Florissant Colorado | 2017 Outback S
  • Options
    @jkjenn - are you attempting to use the built in DVD player on the Axess and send the sound to the Jensen unit?
    I was. Theoretically, it should work. 

• Options
    rcuomorcuomo Member Posts: 319
    edited June 2018
    Jenn, do you have the 15.6” model 1801 with the earphone jack?  You can buy an adapter for the jack to convert to the RCA cable format. That should work. 
    ‘18 Tab 320S- mfg’d 4/17, acquired 9/17
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    ‘17 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E- 5000# tow cap, 600# tongue cap
    ‘20 Honda Pilot Elite- 5000# tow cap, 500# tongue cap
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited June 2018

This is the back of model 1801
    Spare & bike rack on tongue, Renogy 100w suitcase connection, cargo & door nets, sway bar, wired rear camera, Norcold aux fan, front window protection, frame mounted sewer & water hose storage, Krieger 1500w inverter w/100Ah LIFePO4.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Here’s an adapter

Huntington LI
  • Options
    Travelin3DTravelin3D Member Posts: 173
    I'm just speaking in generalities here, but if your TV is connected to the Jensen via HDMI, that should include the audio signal. Maybe it's an input or source setting that needs checking?
    Richie, Mickie and Satchmo
    2020 320S Boondock Lite (silver w/blue)
    2019 Subaru Ascent Premium
  • Options
    My guess is Jenn is bypassing the Jensen since the new TV has an internal DVD player.
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    rcuomo said:
    Here’s an adapter

I actually tried both the adapter and the red and white cables, unsuccessfully.

Also, I dont believe my Jensen had HDMI but @rcuomo is correct, I am using the DVD player in the TV. I think it makes the most sense to skip the Jensen altogether and go with a portable speaker or just use the TV. 

Thanks, everyone!

• Options
    4ncar4ncar Member Posts: 1,072
    The Jensen doesn’t have an hdmi input/output. Why? God only knows...it should during these modern times...
    TV- '16 Chevy Colorado LT Crew Cab-DuraMax
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    But it does have audio input. Jenn the input from the TV audio cables is probably Aux 1 or 2. Give me a few minutes to open mine and power it up and I’ll get back to you. 
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Jenn the audio cable input should be Aux 1. The cables are connected in the back of the head unit. The front input is Aux 2. You may have to change the Audio output mode on the Jensen setup menu since it is set for the OEM TV audio and video input. 
    Huntington LI
  • Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    @jkjenn

Based on the schematic above of the #1801 TV, there is only one audio out, the headphone jack, so your adapter and red/white cable should send sound to the Jensen.

The other end of the red/white cable will need to be connected to the 'audio in' on the back of the Jensen.

The AUX button on the front of the Jensen would have to be pressed and it cycles between AUX 1 for the rear input and AUX 2 for the front input, in case you just wanted to get another adapter and some red/white cable and string it across the room when needed. Not pretty, but it should work also.

Good Luck
    2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    rcuomo said:
    But it does have audio input. Jenn the input from the TV audio cables is probably Aux 1 or 2. Give me a few minutes to open mine and power it up and I’ll get back to you. 
    No argument, just a rhetorical response to the earlier HDMI remark, and the fact that it should, being it the new millennium...
    2018 320S Outback
  • Options
    JanandDaveJanandDave Member Posts: 119
    @rcuomo

Sorry, looks like you were posting while I was still writing.  :)
    2016 T@B 320 Max S  "T@BsentMinded"
    2009 Subaru Outback R 3.0
    2022 Ford Ranger XLT Super Cab

• Options
    broderiusbroderius Member Posts: 32
    Are you telling me that the audio cable from the dvd media stereo isn't digital? That at the very least should be optical and I don't see why isnt HDMI!  Going to do some manual digging now. Lol. 
  • Options
    broderius said:
    Are you telling me that the audio cable from the dvd media stereo isn't digital? That at the very least should be optical and I don't see why isnt HDMI!  Going to do some manual digging now. Lol. 
    You are correct sir...analog...
    2018 320S Outback