Options

Honda EU2000i (Charging Batteries)

I know there have been three or four discussions on generators and I have scanned through them all but couldn't decide the most appropriate one for this.  I finally bought a Honda EU2000i yesterday.  While trying to get familiar with it and reading the manual, I found this: 

"DC Receptacle: The DC receptacle should ONLY be used for charging 12-volt automotive type batteries.  The DC charging output is not regulated.  This means that the charging output does not decrease as the battery reaches full charge.  Check the battery voltage frequently while charging to prevent overcharging the battery."

I decided to post this because I saw more than one person in the forum say they wanted to use the generator to recharge their batteries.  Apparently you can damage the battery if you don't keep a check on it while using the Honda generator.  I haven't tried it, but I would assume you could put some kind of regulator between the generator and the battery to control the charge, like a Battery Tender.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

Comments

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I need to do some more research on the converter that is built into the T@B, but it does have an intelligent charger, in that it will fast charge at first, then drop down to a trickle charge for maintenance. The question is, how fast is the fast charge? Another option would be an A/C powered charger, run off the generator. There are chargers that can deliver 25 Amps or more. One of the potential issues with providing very high current when charging, is the creation of heat within the battery, but if the charger has the appropriate circuitry, it should mange the process nicely. The DC charge function of the generator is a good option, but I would expect that it will take up to 10 hours to recharge a nearly depleted battery. So for me #1:Built in converter, #2: Dedicated A/C power high amperage charger. #3: DC charger on generator.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    RZRBUGRZRBUG Member Posts: 890
    Yes, the built in converter would probably be the best option.  The warning in the manual was referring to using the DC charger on the generator to directly charge the battery.  That is when there would be a need to keep a check on the battery voltage to be sure it is not overcharged.  Perhaps others were aware of this caution, but I was not until I read it.

Larry & Booger - 2013 T@B, 2012 GMC Sierra

Happy Trails Y'all

States Visited Map

• Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    I have read the documentation on the WFCO power center that is installed in my 2015 S M@xx. I believe the 35 Amp model is installed. The "Bulk Mode" charge will operate for a maximum of 4 hours. This is the fast charge mode. As the main fuse is rated at 30 Amps, the charge current could not exceed 30 Amps. 

Thanks for for the heads up on the generator charging, as I was not aware the DC output did not have a charging regulator. 
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 260
    I've carried a Schumacher battery charger and plug that into the generator to make charging go faster.  However, you'd also be fine plugging the trailer into the generator because charging is controlled by the converter.
    Lisa. 2008 T@DA, previously 2012 6x10 SS. Southeastern PA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    That's what I do with the generator/T@B - have the DC cable in case I need it for the TV
  • Options
    Julian39Julian39 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks a ton for sharing this amazing article regarding honda generator eu2000i! I was thinking to invest in this. After reading your reviews I am very much inspired to buy honda eu2000i. Sounds like the best Genset!