Options

battery Placement

I have "wasted" space behind the Alde in my 2014 Maxx. Would this be a better place to put a couple of 6v batteies (agm) vs on the tongue? Any reasons? 

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CyclonicCyclonic Member Posts: 1,232
    I don't know that I would want batteries inside the cabin, just something about acid fill cubes bouncing around in there seems bad to me.

Further, this will significantly affect your tongue weight.  Not only are you taking a large weight off the tongue, you are adding a large weight behind the wheels, as well as far to one side.  A T@B is like a see saw, the wheels are a center pivot and weight to one side or the other has a large effect on the tongue weight, which has a resulting effect in towing.

States the T@Bpole has camped, so far ;)
    Nathan & Becky... 2013 Ford F150 FX4 TAB HLR... 2012 LG T@B T@Bpole.
    Sterling, VA
  • Options
    LarryLarry Member Posts: 25
    Are there concerns with increasing the tongue weight with the heavier golf cart batteries?
  • Options
    Don't think so, they are manufactured with 12v deep cycle marine batteries in mind.  I have seen where some folks have added a second battery to the tongue, don't know how they dealt with the tongue weight when they did that.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    NomadNomad Member Posts: 7,209
    Besides the weight/balance issue, it seems things get bounced around a lot more behind the wheels - It's almost like a boomerang effect. I have stuff on the shelf behind the seat and it all pretty must has to be contained or tied down.
  • Options
    ChanWChanW Member Posts: 3,158
    edited February 2015
    Larry, remember that 'tongue weight' is a variable quantity, but a somewhat fixed percentage, of weight. Approx. 10% of the trailer weight is what's recommended. So for my Tab that would be 180 - 200 pounds.

IOW, if your tongue is too light, move some of your cargo forward of the axle, and if it's too heavy, move some to the rear. 

Also, kernel in mind that the further from the axle the cargo/weight is, the more it will effect this tongue weight adjustment. 

I'll sometimes use the fresh water tank as an adjustable ballast, if we need a bit more, or less, tongue weight. (In our Tab, a 2014 'S' Maxx, the FW-tank is under the sink in front.)

That's a good point Cyclonic, about side to side weight balance. I've never considered it much. In ours, all 3 tanks, black, gray, and freshwater are on the left, but most times the black and gray are empty, I suppose.
    Chan  -  near Buffalo NY
    2014 S Maxx
    2011 Tacoma 4cyl ... edit: 2022 Tacoma 6cyl - oh yeah! 

A_Little_T@b'll_Do_Ya
  • Options
    mawebbmawebb Member Posts: 257
    There are others that have moved their battery inside. I do realize that AGM batteries are sealed and generally safe. If you really want them inside. Please consider using the battery boxes that have external venting. That way, in the very rare instance that a battery should fail, the acid will be contained and any escaping hydrogen would be vented to the outside. Batteries do fail, albeit, not often. But when they do, you will be glad that you have contained the electrolyte and protected your precious trailer, belongings and not least, protected yourself from injury.
    Martin - Trailer name: James T@Berius Kirk 
  • Options
    jcfaber1jcfaber1 Member Posts: 318
    Here is our vented AGM setup.image

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    They are 2 6v golf cart batteries, 225 AH wired in series.  On the outside, there is a plastic louvered vent cover.  I will have to look for the photo later.

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    The copper pipe is 1" with 1/2 inch inside running to the bottom of the box

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL

• Options
    Thanks for the photos jcfaber, very nice setup.

Sterling, VA
  • Options
    BBchBumBBchBum Member Posts: 105
    Interesting idea!  Thanks for the photos.
  • Options

I attached a picture that I cut the camper out of a larger scene.  Sorry the photo quality is not so great but is due to the crop.  You can see the battery vent just to the right of the CoolCat vent and left of the fender.  To the right of the battery vent is the input for solar charging - black plug.  The stove pipe is for my tankless water heater.  The water heater was my motivation to get the battery out of front space while maintaining safety. 

John

2007 T@B

Rockford, IL