Options

Twin Bed Configuration. Easy 5.5” wider bed extensions mod.

Bill@ndRoxBill@ndRox Member Posts: 89
edited August 2018 in Modifications & Upgrades

Easy wider Twin Bed mod: (Please Note:  This is a 5.5 inch wider bed configuration without supports, legs, or posts.  Fairly easy mod that made a big difference for us.  The foam block remains at 5" x 5" x 31" .  See attached photos.  Tested for 8 nights without any problems. We still have 19" between our beds, plenty of room to get up at night.  I hope this helps someone out there.

Materials:  
-Dense foam blocks (cut from bigger sheet): 5"x5"x31" (2) JoAnn's Fabric
-Wood slats 1.5"x.75"x20.25" (6) Home Depot
-Wood slats 1.5"x.75x38" (4)
-Piano hinges 30" (2)
-carpenter saw, pencil, tape measure, screw driver and voila!
-Be careful of hinge placement so lid can still fit down without the slats if you still want that (see photos).

Please let me know what you think or if you have any questions. I had a ball doing this mod and we love it.  Bill@ndRox  '18 T@b Outback/Silver-Gray. TV: '17 Subaru Outback 3.6L PNW Puyallup, WA

Comments

• Options
    Here we are in Washtucna where we met Homebodyatheart.  Yakima rack is off for now.  I may put it back on because it looks pretty cool there, even though not used or needed. Spare tire is mounted on the tongue and sway control bar added. No more sway issues.  Yay!
    Bill@ndRox  Puyallup, WA
  • Options
    Sharon_is_SAMSharon_is_SAM Administrator Posts: 9,498
    Very clever bed extensions!  Easy to store and return to bench seating during the day.  Nice job!
    Sharon / 2017 T@B CSS / 2015 Toyota Sienna Minivan / Westlake, Ohio
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    @wjacobs, so cool you met @Homebodyatheart!!! *jealous, but very happy!* Nice extensions on the bed! Did you just do the driver's side? I bet someone here will come up with a hinge-type that accommodates the slat height so you won't get the plywood tipping.

My idea is to use extra strength draw sliders attached wood supports although NOT long ones. You will have to add the slider supports. Don't add the sliders to the hinged area, but to the lid area. This is the part where it may or may not work. put the sliders close to the back edge so when the plywood is in "seat mode" it also pushes the slider past the "stop" and you can lift the lid. I'm sorry I can't draw a picture. I'm also slightly decaffeinated! 
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    HomebodyatheartHomebodyatheart Member Posts: 2,496
    @wjacobs it was such a surprise to look over and see you standing there in front of your Outbacks, waving away! It was fun to meet you both, and to share mods and our Tabs. Who would have guessed we'd meet in Washtucna? (Washtucna is a small farming town in the Palouse area of Eastern Washington. A main 2 lane state highway runs through the north end of town, two way stop there, and that's about it. No stoplights needed with a 25mph speed limit. If you collect Fenton glassware stopping at the main gas station is a must! She has an amazing collection for sale and it's worth the stop!)

@Ratkity someday we will meet, and I'm looking forward to it! In the meantime... there's mods to be made! ;)
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Your suggestions are welcomed as we all can benefit from them. Abt half of the photos are passenger side and others driver side. Look at the clues😊.  My wife and I each are enjoying the wider beds. Got inexpensive thermorest type self inflating roll up mattresses (1 1/2” thick) size is perfect for wider beds, and made pillow case type covers for them, thin quilting on one side to sleep on. These are now the bottom sheets easily removed and washed and they don’t slip around. We put the seat back cushions either in the car or onto the floor by the door if it’s raining or cold out. No problem. We left the little arm rest cushions at home. Just in the way.
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    @Homebodyatheart, You're not chasin' the chicken that crosses the road are 'ya????? =)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    wjacobs is now Bill@ndRox.  One in the same.  FYI
  • Options
    libertyolibertyo Member Posts: 33
    Excellent job on the mod - pics and explanation clear and precise. Thank you!!
    "Bella"  2016 T@b maxs blue, towed by '18 Chevy Colorado ZR2 duramax diesel - yes NEW baby, accompanied by the Red dog
    Rural Liberty Hill, TX, near Austin
  • Options
    GibWGibW Member Posts: 95
    Elegant solution!
    2017 T@B Max-S, silver & silver, towed by a Titanium Silver 2018 Kia Sorento AWD V-6, Twin Cities MN
  • Options
    DalehelmanDalehelman Member Posts: 2,410
    Nice work. Clean and simple. The best solution to this idea I have seen. 
    1. Hash  T@B Fun
  • Options
    PhotomomPhotomom Member Posts: 2,217
    Twin Bed Setup:  5 inch wider bed configuration without supports, legs, or posts.  Fairly easy mod that made a big difference for us. See attached photos.  Tested for 8 nights without any problems. A few times I sat on the edge of the seat and I felt a little tipping of the plywood, so I may continue to head scratch on that one.  Only a very minor glitch that is fixable, I'm sure.  I hope this helps someone out there.  Please let me know what you think or if you have any questions. Bill@ndRox  '18 T@b Outback/Silver-Gray. TV: '17 Subaru Outback 3.6L PNW Puyallup, WA

I think this will be my next mod. Brilliant!
    John and Henrietta, Late 2016 T@B S Max in Western New York
  • Options
    @Bill@ndRox I did one side of your mod today. When I folded it back up it was exactly a half inch too long depth wise to fit the original space. Would you mind posting a close up pic of the edge where it is joined with the hinge? I’m missing something. I also wanted to let you know that I didn’t have any problems sittin on it when extended, but I was also careful to sit further back in the seat to prevent and issues I couldn’t fix. I’m also thinking of leaving my bed out like this vs putting it away after each trip. I like the different use of space! Thanks again!
    2017 T@B 320 Max S silver and cherry red, L@dybug ("Bug" aka my esc@pe pod), TV 2015 Toyota Highlander aka Big Red
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    More photos for 5.5” wider twin extension mod

See all revised photos and descriptions above in start of this discussion.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Homebodyatheart,
    You should be able to keep whatever extension size you installed. It may be just the hinge that needs an adjust.  I hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Twin Bed Configuration.  5.5" wider beds.  Easy Mod.  See revised descriptions and photos.
  • Options
    @Bill@ndRox I finally took pics of my mod to your mod. I slid a long piece of pipe insulation over the edge of the bench piece so I don’t scrape a leg. I still haven’t played with the other bed side yet. Probably next week. 
  • Options
    Looks really good!  Thanks for the photo.
  • Options
    TabottoTabotto Member Posts: 2
    Do the bed slats under the cushion extend all the way to the back of the Tab? It looks like it does in one of your photo. With the slats under the cushions, does the longer back cushion fold all the way down?
  • Options
    @Tabotto I’m not sure which slats you are referring to, but the entire mod is contained under each side seat, not as far as the couch portion. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    TerryV6TerryV6 Member Posts: 1,092
    So, where do you put your back cushions when in bed mode?  We dont travel with them or their curvy side neighbors..
    Terry & Jody...  2016 Dodge Ram 1500
    2016 NuCamp 320 T@B Max S
    T@bbey  Road   
    Appleton,  WI

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Actually for the twin bed 5.5 wider bed mod, I did put in slats under the couch seat to raise it to the same height as the side cushions. Now the twin beds are the same cushion height head to toe. It’s a tight fit with the slats jammed in there but seems to work well. Would love other ideas on this.
  • Options
    I know all the cushions look nice but they are really in the way for the bed modes.  Put them in TV every night or leave home.
  • Options
    lkc001lkc001 Member Posts: 734
    Is it possible to get away with not attaching a piano hinge to the extra width of board, and just lay that board up against the wall only when needed to set-up the bed?  Or does it help to keep the front of the "slideout" in place or from flipping up?
    2016 Nissan Frontier SV V6 4x4
    Finally!  New Owner of a 2017 Tab 320S! 
    Woohoo!
  • Options
    MewcycleMewcycle Member Posts: 20
    lkc001 said:
    Is it possible to get away with not attaching a piano hinge to the extra width of board, and just lay that board up against the wall only when needed to set-up the bed?  Or does it help to keep the front of the "slideout" in place or from flipping up?
    I too would like to know this! I have a ton of piano hinge, but would like to try without just to see if its necessary. 
    2014 T@B Max S
    2018 GMC Canyon
    Texas Hill Country
  • Options
    Sorry, but I never tried out the mod without the piano hinges.  Try it, you may like it. The hinges really are not in the way as they are at the wall side of the beds.
  • Options
    tteamtteam Member Posts: 25
    Regarding your twin bed modification, have you tried without using the slats under the sofa part?  If so, was the result to raise the sofa part because you feel too much difference?
    Tteam, Wisconsin
    2020 TAB 320S Boondock Lite
    TV: 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • Options
    I just wanted the cushions all at the same height. I suppose it’s worth trying your way to see if one notices when in bed.  It does allow a little more air ventilation from under the bed.  Thanks
  • Options
    Thank you for your response.  I trust you find the bed sufficiently stable without legs?  I guess it is like a cantilever on a deck.
    Tteam, Wisconsin
  • Options
    Hi, we are now looking at doing this twin bed mod you have kindly posted.  Two questions, 1) How does the vertical back seat cushion sit on the four 38” long slats when it is in the down position, ie laying flat, for sleeping?
    2) where do you store the side back cushions when camping?
    Thank you.
    Tteam, Wisconsin