Options

Meet Billie Holiday

BoulderjayBoulderjay Member Posts: 37
I was pulling for Charlie Parker was outvoted by my wife and kids! 

I've been lurking here for a few months now learning about these amazing campers.  We really loved the idea of the clamshell for cooking outside but also really needed the extra clearance for boondocking in our Colorado mountains on the weekends!  I didn't think the pitched axle was a possibility on the CS-S until I read a post on this awesome forum that a dealer a couple hours away orders them standard on all his 320s.  He happened to have one 2018 CS-S left on his lot.  Added the Pahaque add-a-room tent and we were good to go.  We then decided to do a quick shake down trip of 4000 miles, 12 states and 2 countries with me, my wife Katie, our boys Miles (8), Coltrane (4) and Ella the Silver Lab (she matches the T@B nicely).  Used our 2013 Durango as TV ...Boulder to Saratoga Springs, NY for a small Jazzfest where Katie and I met 16 years ago (thus the Jazz theme in our family).   We saw MT Rushmore, camped in a great little state park in the UP right on the Lake, 2 nights in Ontario, Niagara Falls, the Adirondacks...an amazing Maiden Voyage.  We saw a couple Outback 320s, a cool new 400 and followed two ladies and their rented T@G half way through South Dakota...everyone was super friendly.  

Billie pulled like a dream behind the 5.7 HEMI but the real test was pulling it up into the mountains with my highly modified 2003 Jeep Rubicon.  The main reason we went with T@B was to stay under the 2000 lb limit of the Wrangler.  I read hours of posts on this forum and jeep forums and was finally comfortable that it could be done.  Added a Prodigy P2 brake controller and a Reese friction sway hitch in an abundance of caution and safe driving practices.  The first two trips were up to the Indian Peaks up 10%-13% roads and she did great...rock solid and never over 4000 rpm...we dragged Billie over roots, rocks and puddles to a secluded dispersed site we have been tenting in for years with no problem.

On the road trip east we had a few soggy campsites where we all just squeezed in the T@B bed with Ella on the floor.  It was tight but we are not large people so it was fine.  But when we add the Pahaque tent and a queen inflatable for the boys it is truly spacious.

I haven't camped in a trailer in almost 40 years and have never owned one.  Learning all the ins and outs of the systems has been a steep learning curve but has been made easy thanks to all the people that share there knowledge on this forum.  We can't wait for our next adventures.

Camp-on!
Boulderjay

Comments

• Options
    rkj__rkj__ Member Posts: 641
    Right on!  It sounds like you are off to a great start.
    2016 T@b 320 CS-S - 2018 GMC Sierra - St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
  • Options
    dragonsdoflydragonsdofly Member Posts: 1,926
    @Boulderjay, welcome to the forum, the t@b family and congratulations on your trailer!  We are also a family of 4. My husband, me and 2 boys ages 12 &13. We have no side tent (yet) and have managed well, although we have have a 320 s, with a larger bed. In less than 2 years we have logged 18,000 miles through 31/32 states, maybe 35. The t@b makes all of our travels possible. You'll know us when we see you on the road sometime. We'll be waving. Best wishes and happy t@bbing!
    2017 t@b sofitel(Dr@gonsFly)TV 2015 Silverado 2500hd(Behemoth). Wyandotte, Michigan.
    Draco dormiens numquam titilandus.
  • Options
    We absolutely love our choice.  Funny, just got a call back from Elsa at Nucamp 20 mins after posting.  I can now add my voice to praise of NuCamp's customer service.  I just ordered boondock style cargo nets, a table bracket for the side and she is sending me the screen rail brush kit for free.
    Love'n'it
  • Options
    RatkityRatkity Member Posts: 3,770
    Welcome!!! Don't worry, you'll have your Amazon Prime and Camping World boxes coming non-stop after you see all the cool mods (you get a T@B University badge for that hehe).
    2017 820R Retro Toy Hauler from 2015 Tabitha T@B from 2009 Reverse LG Teardrop (but a T@Bluver at heart)
  • Options
    Ha!  Only had 10-12 boxes so far!  Bunk bike rack, extra drinking water hose, 1500 w inverter (gotta have that drip coffee), pressure regulator, this-n-that adapter, blah-blah-blah....plus outfitting another kitchen!  We love it
  • Options
    StrikeMikeStrikeMike Member Posts: 7
  • Options
    ericnlizericnliz Member Posts: 4,437
    Welcome @Boulderjay. I 'd have voted for Charlie Parker! Made me laugh when I saw that! You'll find not only the folks at NuCamp helpful, but the folks here as well. Thanks for sharing the pictures & HAVE FUN! :)
    2016 T@B MAX S-aka: WolfT@B
    TV: 2006 Chevy Avalanche LT Z71 aka: WhiteWolf, or 1972 Chevy Custom10 P/U aka: SnarlingWolf
    Spokane, Wa.
    Eric aka: Lone Wolf  

• Options
    Just came back from a 3 night boondock with the family...immediately ordered 2 extra water jugs for the top of the jeep and am now reading everything I can about the 2-6v swap...and solar next
  • Options
    2Cougs2Cougs Member Posts: 905
    @Boulderjay- Nice job!  You have successfully jumped in with both feet (or 12 feet in the case of your fam!).  Gotta love that about T@bs... ready to go and explore in a moment's notice.  Love the pics!  We have a CS-S as well and love it!.  Keep posting about your adventures :)
    2016 T@B CS-S silver with white trim and WSU themed
    Pulled by a silver 2017 Chevy Silverado
    Leaves on T@bventures from Spokane, WA

• Options
    Will do!  It's been an amazing summer.  we took last weekend off and can't wait to camp again Friday ....gotta see if I fixed the "freight train " noise from the Alde